• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Elitest is as Elitest does. From Duke to Atlanta.

Diesel

Elitest is as Elitest does. From Duke to Atlanta.

by Diesel

We should attack the pampered elite teams of today with hardworking, hard hat teams. Is this how the elite think? Well, when you look at Coach K at Duke, consider the teams he put on the floor. Very few of his teams that remind you of what you may see in Kentucky or Louisville. Instead, you see teams that have guys who will probably never be pros, but they believe that they will. The strange part about that is that Coach K has 4 NCAA Championships, 11 Final Fours, 12 ACC regular season titles, and 13 ACC Tournament championships. In the words of Jefferson Teague, "the shit works". That's what every Hawks fan is hoping about Ferry. They are hoping that his answer to elitist in the NBA leads Atlanta to it's first NBA championship. Everything after that is just the Elitist doing as Elitist do.

All I needed to read was this last part. Great positive post Diesel. Posted Image

• Moderators

Interesting take. On Duke, I would say they have elite talent over the years to go with the elite coaching. They always have the McD's but they have repped some impressive pro talent as well:Kyrie IrvingJJ ReddickGrant HillChristian LaettnerElton Brandas one hypothetical Dukie lineup. Plenty of other lottery and NBA draft picks as well.Coach K beats you with elite talent and elite coaching.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Interesting take. On Duke, I would say they have elite talent over the years to go with the elite coaching. They always have the McD's but they have repped some impressive pro talent as well:Kyrie IrvingJJ ReddickGrant HillChristian LaettnerElton Brandas one hypothetical Dukie lineup. Plenty of other lottery and NBA draft picks as well.Coach K beats you with elite talent and elite coaching.

Duke has had more misses (NBA wise) than Hits. Ferry leading the pack.

And last second turnaround FT line jumpers...

• Like 1

The thing about duke is that everything is always in the best interest of the long term stability of the program. We may never have a starting five or recruiting class that you look at and say man those guys are beasts but we will also never be completely out of contention bc of the way coach k sets us up. Our last championship was a complete surprise to me and I'm sure most other duke fans as well, but with coach k and the program he's established you just never know. We will probably never have a starting 5 like Kentucky had a couple of years ago when they won the chip but we will also never have a fall off like Kentucky did the next year either. And that's no disrespect to Kentucky bc they're a great program just different ways of doing things. Now I don't know how far that will get us in the NBA but to me it's the best way to go in college.

• Like 1

Duke has also had the benefit of alot of their star players hanging around all 4 years and basically having a team of men vs boys. I understand its great that these kids love the program, coach, stay in school and graduate but its also a competitve advantage.

Duke has also had the benefit of alot of their star players hanging around all 4 years and basically having a team of men vs boys. I understand its great that these kids love the program, coach, stay in school and graduate but its also a competitve advantage.

They also tend to be more intelligent people than most other teams as well since Duke doesn't let just anyone in, even if they're star basketball players. Still gotta be smart and make the grades on your own there.

Duke has had more misses (NBA wise) than Hits. Ferry leading the pack.

Name a school with more hits than misses...Duke hardly ever has "stars" like other elite programs due to the coach and system. I can argue that Laettner or Reddick were the biggest names to come from Duke.

Name a school with more hits than misses...Duke hardly ever has "stars" like other elite programs due to the coach and system. I can argue that Laettner or Reddick were the biggest names to come from Duke.

Grant Hill is the best IMO to come from Duke. But Duke are limited to using athletes who can actually get into the school vs say a team like Memphis in the Callipari years who could load up on star athletes who can barely spell their own names.

They also tend to be more intelligent people than most other teams as well since Duke doesn't let just anyone in, even if they're star basketball players. Still gotta be smart and make the grades on your own there.

How smart could Laettner really have been? How about that Parks kid, seemed dumb as a box of rocks. I think the key componet to getting into Duke has alot more to do with the elitism Diesel spoke of and $$$$$.

coach k started with good college players (who were system players) who he coached to great success. (jay bilas was on one of those teams) Then he started getting elite recruits who also were good system players. coach k is an incredible recruiter as well as being a great coach. i hate his guts btw. He has a mix of players who are great college players but limited in the pros and guys who should be future nba stars. jay, elton, hill, irving

many of his players are well below the standards for duke admission, like most schools. we should avoid reverse racism.

but yeah, ferry was always a bit of an elitist. I don't know if most of the other white guys at duke are like that, but I remember a duke friend of mine telling me about running into ferry hitting golf balls when ferry was just graduating. that is uncommon for a basketball player these days..

• Premium Member

Let me qualify my previous statement. When I said that they had more hits than Misses, what I mean is that Duke (to me) has the ability to take a player who has dominated for 4 yrs and when he goes pro, he's nothing special. The rule for me is that if a player spends less time at Duke, he will be more successful in the league. Here's some of those examples of players who spent more time at Duke, got great accolades and didn't live up to it as a pro.

1. Ferry

2. Laettner

3. Hurley.

4. Shelden

5. Reddick.

6. Battier

7. Duhon

These guys were college player of the year material but as pros, nothing much.

Let's look at some misses:

Jhonnie Dawkins

Cherokee Parks

Roshown McLeod (this)

Ala Abdalnabby

Brian Davis

Antonio Lang (this)

Trajan Langdon (this)

William Avery

Daniel Ewing

Shavlik Randolph

Now, let's talk about the good guys:

Brand, Hill, Maggette, Boozer, Deng irving. These guys lived up to the hype. But none of them stayed past their 2nd year.

There's more and there's more coming. But the program doesn't run a pro anything so these guys are lost when they are thrown into a pro system.

Edited by Diesel

I kind of understand your point but same could be said for any school. Usually the one or two year players are your "blue chip" prospects that typically aren't going to school for any purpose other than making it to the next level or those from less fortunate families who want to take care of home asap. This isn't football where you run a collegiate spread offense or a pro style, every coach has some semblance of sets that are run in the NBA.