• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We are getting rid of Horford? WHAT?!

noble

• Premium Member

Just playing devil's advocate here....

You guys know Horford is coming up on UFAcy right? All-Star big man, league leader in FG%, hustle player, no BS player, perfect compliment to a primary scorer, perfect teammate, great attitude, champion at the collegiate level. Unless he suffers a ridiculous injury or completely bombs as the centerpiece of this team....Horford will be in high demand.

He wants to win a Championship and he KNOWS he can be a part of a championship puzzle.

Let's not kid ourselves about that. You have 3 seasons to get this thing to that level. We can write this season off. So frankly, we're looking at the 2014 & 2015 seasons. If this is not a contender come the 2014/'15 season...then you've got Horford with a decision to make. Coming up on 30 years old, incredible talent, wants to win a championship. It's not hard to do the math on that.

Right now, dealing Horford is the furthest thing from Ferry's mind. If we don't improve though, he will have big decision coming real soon. To use my Training Day analogy, that folks have taken a liking to, "The shit's CHESS! It ain't CHEKAS!" Well, in Chess....you can't play that game without thinking MANY moves ahead. Horford is our most important chess piece. We'd be foolish not to be thinking at least a little bit down the road and this is NOT the kind of guy you let walk for nothing (see D12). I'm 100% confident Ferry is weighing his long term options here.

Afterall..."Rome wasn't built in a day."

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

• Moderators

I'm not writing this season off because we can trade midseason. This team as constructed can stay mid pack in the playoff seeds. January we could probably bring Asik and Granger through trade. That would be a solid contender.

• Premium Member

I'm not writing this season off because we can trade midseason. This team as constructed can stay mid pack in the playoff seeds. January we could probably bring Asik and Granger through trade. That would be a solid contender.

I'm not saying the season is a waste. Realistically, there's no way I see us whipping up a contender this year - that's not any kind of stretch. Mid-season trade? Taking Horford out of the equation (since he's our cornerstone) and working under the cap...who do you swap for Danny's $14m? Moreover, they don't need anything we have and Granger is a FAT expiring contract. They'd just as soon play out the season and let his salary drop.

What are we trading for Asik? People that think they're just going to just give Asik and his double-double away are sadly mistaken. They'll get some solid offers...if they don't just keep him. Houston has all the luxury in the world right now.

• Moderators

I'm not saying the season is a waste. Realistically, there's no way I see us whipping up a contender this year - that's not any kind of stretch. Mid-season trade? Taking Horford out of the equation (since he's our cornerstone) and working under the cap...who do you swap for Danny's $14m? Moreover, they don't need anything we have and Granger is a FAT expiring contract. They'd just as soon play out the season and let his salary drop.

What are we trading for Asik? People that think they're just going to just give Asik and his double-double away are sadly mistaken. They'll get some solid offers...if they don't just keep him. Houston has all the luxury in the world right now.

I'm thinking they'd love to have Milsap. I'm not pretending to be an expert on the feasability but Milsap and filler give them a solid power forward that isn't that expensive and only under contract for one more season. We'll see how happy Asik is in a few months.

Granger I don't know. It would take a lot to add up to that salary but if they think he's expendable (which i think they do) i'm sure they'd rather get something for him. Just like with Josh I don't think teams will be lining up for him.

I'm just feeling or maybe hoping that we will be able to make some moves this year. Maybe not championship moves but ones to keep us moving up.

Granger I don't know. It would take a lot to add up to that salary but if they think he's expendable (which i think they do) i'm sure they'd rather get something for him. Just like with Josh I don't think teams will be lining up for him.

Just like with Josh the Pacers would rather see him expire to accommodate other salaries (hint: Paul George being up for a max extension)

I was wondering the same thing, but I think he means trading Millsap to Houston which actually kinda makes since.

Still doesn't. Why trade a rare defensive C for a PF that won't alleviate much if any of your spacing or salary issues?

People on here drive me nuts with the Grainger talk.. He is good but what good will he be in 2yrs?Start thinking future and not so much in the panic mode.. Geeze think long term..

• Moderators

People on here drive me nuts with the Grainger talk.. He is good but what good will he be in 2yrs?Start thinking future and not so much in the panicmode.. Geeze think long term..

Granger is a good scoring wing which is what we need. Hell i'll take someone better if we can get them but we've got a decent team. Just because we trade for him doesn't mean we're going to build around him for the long term or give him big money. Sund isn't the gm anymore.

The way I look at it Granger is 6 years younger than Paul Pierce. Last year was a bad injury year for him but he hadn't had injury issues before these. Maybe Granger isn't Paul Pierce but Pierce has been pretty solid the last six years. At least the 5 before last year.

Edited by macdaddy