• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Horford Question.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Larry Drew as part of BK's core? Beyond that though I agree that Horf needs to be the man. And that isn't all on the Hawks. He has to make himself the man as well.

Larry Drew was as much BK's core as was Joe Johnson.

The interesting thing about LD is that LD ran Woody's offense. While Woody put the breaks on some of LD's master plan, there was a great part of that plan that remained even after Woody was gone. Mainly the ball movement. Woody preferred and still prefers that the ball stops and you play the more efficient isoball, but Woody loved the details of cross court passes and movement without the ball that LD preaches. When Woody left, we continued the movement and cross court passes and the thought was that we would also do away with iso ball. BUt Smoove would have no parts of that.

Horf won't get the opportunity to remake LD's offense in his image. I get the feeling that he will be fed PNR or he will be gone.

Larry Drew was as much BK's core as was Joe Johnson.

The interesting thing about LD is that LD ran Woody's offense. While Woody put the breaks on some of LD's master plan, there was a great part of that plan that remained even after Woody was gone. Mainly the ball movement. Woody preferred and still prefers that the ball stops and you play the more efficient isoball, but Woody loved the details of cross court passes and movement without the ball that LD preaches. When Woody left, we continued the movement and cross court passes and the thought was that we would also do away with iso ball. BUt Smoove would have no parts of that.

Horf won't get the opportunity to remake LD's offense in his image. I get the feeling that he will be fed PNR or he will be gone.

Last year, LD ran the motion offense. That wasn't what Woody ran.

I expect to see a considerably stronger physical specimen in Al this year. If Bud can translate Spurs ideals as well as I think he can, I'm sure he sees the similarities between Al and Tim and knows the biggest difference is strength in establishing early position against their man on both ends. Tim was probably stronger than present-day Al in his rookie year. I truly hope Al is totally over the back and pec problems so he can add a little muscle and see if he can't push his man a couple feet further on D and catch a couple feet deeper on O. I love Al and the automatic 15 footer and all, but it's high time for a little block bullying, especially if his minutes are gonna be predominantly at the 4, which I think they will.

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member

I expect to see a considerably stronger physical specimen in Al this year. If Bud can translate Spurs ideals as well as I think he can, I'm sure he sees the similarities between Al and Tim and knows the biggest difference is strength in establishing early position against their man on both ends. Tim was probably stronger than present-day Al in his rookie year. I truly hope Al is totally over the back and pec problems so he can add a little muscle and see if he can't push his man a couple feet further on D and catch a couple feet deeper on O. I love Al and the automatic 15 footer and all, but it's high time for a little block bullying, especially if his minutes are gonna be predominantly at the 4.

2 Words. Polish Hammer.

Actually, I think that Al or Millsap will be trade bait for somebody like Asik.

Im not worried about Horford and never will be...I know he can continue to be very consistent and that he can be a better leader. The guy just has it in him. Im not worried about Milsap he isnt some ignorant player coming to team up with Big Al...these two guys are about business and I know they will get along.

At this point team chemistry isnt something Im worried about with this team. The players we have on this hawks team is completely different from other years! We have so many guys that have hardworking traits, heart, energy, Bangers in the paint! Im just not so worried about those things Im more worried about the skillset of the team and coach bud being able to get Teague "ALL" out of him.

...Like I have said in previous posts, Ferry is going to do what Elit(i)sts do. Trust only himself and (only keep up to) his own standard....

Not to go too far off topic D...but of course DF has a "Master Plan" that will show him to be the best (or one of the best) GM's in the league. I wouldn't call that "elitist"...just guys with big egos. Some come up with new approaches (like BK)...some want to show they can get the best players...they all think they are smarter than the next guy.

It comes with the territory.

Edited by Marilyn

• Premium Member

Al Horford for Asik? Rockets will be gift wrapped a title.

OF course if AL Horford is traded to Houston, we would get more than Asik. Maybe Asik and Chandler + Filler.

IF Millsap goes, then yeah.. Millsap for Asik.

Point is that after the season starts, I think Houston will be looking for relief from their logjam.

• Premium Member

Horf is the cornerstone like Duncan is. They share same character leadership work ethic. He won't be traded

A lot of players share the same character, leadership, and work ethic as Duncan. But what Horf lacks is Duncan's post moves.

• Moderators

A lot of players share the same character, leadership, and work ethic as Duncan. But what Horf lacks is Duncan's post moves.

And more. That isn't a knock on Horf. Duncan is one of the greatest in NBA history.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Sometimes I get the feeling that some squawkers believe that just because we got Bud as a coach that Horf will automatically change into Duncan.

Duncan is prolly the best PF in the history of basketball... that's considering Karl Malone and Charles Barkley and Bob Petit...(well, when you roll out Petit, now it's a competition.).

However, Horf is barely an allstar. He has to develop his post play and a goto Move. Horf's defense is not on the same level either. Horf is a face up PF who may excel in the PNR.

Here's the thing. Millsap may be just a bit better in the PNR. He has more experience and he has a better shot from outside so that he can be PICK and POP material. IF Horf Struggles and Houston comes offering Asik and Chandler. I'm taking Asik and Chandler + Filler all day.