• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

OGRat

They did pick up Bargnani which could really go either way. Add in knee surgery for JR and Amare (non-factor) plus losing Kidd and Copeland, then age their old team another year and...who knows. I can see arguments either way. I think their top scenario is a #3 finish and could see them falling to 8th.I am really interested to see Bargnani as the WOW group is so adamant he sucks.

Woodson will ISO-Melo his way to AT LEAST a sixth seed. They'll get stomped in the playoffs (even by us, I would say), but they'll win plenty of games.

The Nets are a bit of a wildcard, but they have some depth to make up for their age/injury/coaching question marks.

I think we're being sold a little short though, honestly. The Spurs offense produces a lot of regular season wins. We're not as talented as the Spurs obviously but we're also not in the West. No way we slip past 6th IMO. I think we have a better chance of making the 4th seed than the 8th barring injury.

Millsap and Horford will be a handful for opposing teams, we've got a solid bench with plenty of shooting. Teague/Lou/Korver/Millsap/Horford has 5 people on the court who can hit free throws and hit open jumpers.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Our biggest weakness is going to be our wings for sure. We don't have anyone that can both score and defend at anything resembling a plus level and our overall defensive ability at those positions is very suspect.

With regard to the Nets, I think they will be very good this season. Pierce and AK-47 will be very nice complimentary pieces and KG will be a real impact player for them. Barring a major injury or two, I can't see us challenging them in the regular or post-season.

With regard to the Knicks, I get them as a wildcard team. I hated the Bargnani trade for them and think they won't have a prayer of finishing in the top 3 this season in the East. Where they fall in the 4-7 range is an open question. I view a leap over them as our only chance of making the top 5 seeds (barring a huge injury).

• Like 1

Our biggest weakness is going to be our wings for sure. We don't have anyone that can both score and defend at anything resembling a plus level and our overall defensive ability at those positions is very suspect.

With regard to the Nets, I think they will be very good this season. Pierce and AK-47 will be very nice complimentary pieces and KG will be a real impact player for them. Barring a major injury or two, I can't see us challenging them in the regular or post-season.

With regard to the Knicks, I get them as a wildcard team. I hated the Bargnani trade for them and think they won't have a prayer of finishing in the top 3 this season in the East. Where they fall in the 4-7 range is an open question. I view a leap over them as our only chance of making the top 5 seeds (barring a huge injury).

Agreed, except I think we could catch the Nets in the regular season solely because of injury concerns. A healthy Nets team is very good.

I've pretty much warmed up to a Millsap/Horford frontcourt. It will be difficult to upgrade Horford because he's borderline top 5 at both C and PF. Millsap is probably top 10 PF, definitely top 10 offensively. So we've got two skilled, efficient big men who are versatile.

Basically, I've decided that M. Gasol would be awesome, but Millsap/Horford is plenty good enough IF we can bring in a wing who can defend/rebound/score at a pretty high level. A wing who can do those things puts us in ECF conversation, and he doesn't have to be a superstar. Gordon Hayward is a young option who will be a FA, though he'll be retained if he isn't overpaid and is not quite good enough. Gallo is closer. Paul George would be great (not a superstar, either). I'm crossing my fingers on Lebron heading our way next summer.

Agreed, except I think we could catch the Nets in the regular season solely because of injury concerns. A healthy Nets team is very good.

I've pretty much warmed up to a Millsap/Horford frontcourt. It will be difficult to upgrade Horford because he's borderline top 5 at both C and PF. Millsap is probably top 10 PF, definitely top 10 offensively. So we've got two skilled, efficient big men who are versatile.

Basically, I've decided that M. Gasol would be awesome, but Millsap/Horford is plenty good enough IF we can bring in a wing who can defend/rebound/score at a pretty high level. A wing who can do those things puts us in ECF conversation, and he doesn't have to be a superstar. Gordon Hayward is a young option who will be a FA, though he'll be retained if he isn't overpaid and is not quite good enough. Gallo is closer. Paul George would be great (not a superstar, either). I'm crossing my fingers on Lebron heading our way next summer.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/stats/byposition?pos=SF,PF,F,FC&conference=NBA&year=season_2012&sort=38&qualified=1

To be fair, the following stats include all players who play any forward position at any time (fyi Horford is listed in the list).

Sap is listed 22nd in scoring among forwards. 25 in FG%. 23rd in RPG. 14th in assists 7th in Steals and 21st in blocks.

Granted a few SF sneak onto the list as do a few Centers but per these stats he's more like top 20, not top 10. When you consider his defense is sub par but he has been matched with Jefferson, not Horford, he isn't looking anywhere close to top 10. Power Forward is a very talent heavy position in the NBA right now (as opposed to Small Forward and Shooting guard which are very weak).

Edited by thecampster

• 3 months later...

Pompous bump to this thread from someone who decided to be a d*ck today:

I think this team is going to be competing for home court advantage in the 1st round. I do not think we have much beyond that, and I also do not see this as a team that will crumble and miss the playoffs. Even if we have injuries to Horf or Jeffy, I still think we have a playoff team in the East. Of course, if Jeffy goes down then I am assuming will go out and make a trade for a decent PG.

This team is going to be real consistent, I doubt we have more than 2 games that are decided by more than 20 points.

Damn. I'm good.