WHAT THE WHAT? BRAVES MOVING TO COBB?#%

macdaddy

• Moderators

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-plan-to-build-new-stadium-in-cobb/nbpNQ/

Is it April fools? I can't believe this shit. I'm super pissed right now and hope this is some kind of power play. If not what a bunch of friggin tools. What a nightmare. You think getting to Turner field is hard. Try the intersection of 75 and 285 Friday at 6. GM Chrysler i didn't need this bs.

• Moderators

I just can't believe this. This will go down as the single dumbest move in the city's sports history filled with stupidity. WTF. I'm friggin speechless.

-not in atlanta

-horrible traffic even for atlanta

-no mass transit

-leaving a stadium still considered to be excellent and modern

-seems to be a decision made in a vacuum

-where is the dumb ass mayor on this one? Yeah we saved 8 falcons home games for $200 million. What about the 81 braves games

-apparently they don't give a shit that they are going to alienate a large portion of the fan base the way they annouced this. Oh by the way we just decided over the weekend that we are moving. Sorry.

-Arrrghhhh!

-I thought building another football stadium that looks exactly like the current one and still has artificial turf was the stupidest idea of the year. I was wrong.

• Moderators

http://homeofthebraves.com/message/

Will be in the "heart of Braves country". I hated this braves country crap when they started it along with singing friggin thank god i'm a country boy or worse 'devil went down to GA' during the 7th inning stretch. Can they put the message out any clearer. They don't want to be located in a poor predominantly black neighborhood anymore. To blame this on transportation and then put the stadium where they selected is hypocrisy.

Turner Field is a facility that was built for three weeks of use for the Olympics, but has now served us well for nearly 20 years. The issue isn’t the Turner Field we play in today, but instead whether or not the venue can remain viable for another 20 to 30 years.

Turner Field has served the Braves well since 1997, but it is in need of major infrastructure work, which will cost around $150 million. These upgrades are functional ones, such as replacing worn-out seats or upgrading the stadium’s lighting, and they would do little to significantly enhance the fan experience. If the Braves were to pay for additional projects focused on improving the fan experience, the additional costs could exceed $200 million.

Those upgrades still wouldn’t address the logistical challenges outside the stadium – lack of consistent mass transit options, inadequate number of parking spaces and limited access to major highways.

So sitting literally on 75/85 and 20 is limited access? Transit options. Can't wait to ride the braves shuttle for an hour and half now. Parking? Oh there will be plenty of parking

• Moderators

-where is the dumb ass mayor on this one? Yeah we saved 8 falcons home games for $200 million. What about the 81 braves games

That was my second reaction, after "April Fools, right?"

I would LOVE to have seen the look on Reed's face the minute this dropped. "Saved the Falcons from running out to DeKalb. Whew! Sure dodged a bullet there!"

It is good to have a philanthropist local like Arthur Blank to work directly with. Even a Spirit Group with at least some ties to the city. Not so much a media conglomerate based outta suburban Denver.

~lw3

• Like 2

Sultan stole the words right off my keyboard. That spot would be perfect for them to set up for football and basketball. I wouldn't be at all shocked if they were on the horn with Kasim Reed and the gang right now. As for the Braves, well, they've been trying to get out of downtown for the longest time. Now they have. And as for that shuttle some have spoke of, well, that shuttle is sitting in your garage if you're reading this at home right now. You had better have reliable transportation if you want to see them live. Otherwise, there is always FSS...

• Moderators

Just a peek at Gwinnett Braves attendance, "where the money is," natch...

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_att&lid=117&sid=l117

Five seasons in, with the "new car smell" worn off, and they're already doing worse than their old Richmond gate numbers. Only AAA team in that league doing worse is Charlotte... which is moving their team from suburban Fort Mill SC to their downtown (Uptown).

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

Just a peek at Gwinnett Braves attendance, "where the money is," natch...

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=l_att&lid=117&sid=l117

Five seasons in, with the "new car smell" worn off, and they're already doing worse than their old Richmond gate numbers. Only AAA team in that league doing worse is Charlotte... which is moving their team from suburban Fort Mill SC to their downtown (Uptown).

~lw3

Never let little things like this get in the way of an agenda. Basically the Braves are disappointed in their relative lack of handouts. (the stadium itself of course excluded) in the wake of Arthur Blank's vip treatment by the mayor. Thank god there are a lot of great non sports things happening in this city compared to 20-30 years ago.

• Like 2

I personally don't have a problem with it besides leaving Turner Field. I think it's the fairest park in baseball for all positions. John Shuerholz isn't a dummy by a long shot. If they determined they could be more profitable and in turn invest back into the franchise, I'm all for it. The experience off Hank Aaron and Capitol just seems cold and despondent before and after the game. Facts are facts: there's a whole hell of alot more money up and down Cobb Parkway than Zone 3. Common Sense Business 101: be accessible to your customers. Ain't nobody in the hood taking about how many pitches Medlen has or Andrelton's range.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I personally don't have a problem with it besides leaving Turner Field. I think it's the fairest park in baseball for all positions. John Shuerholz isn't a dummy by a long shot. If they determined they could be more profitable and in turn invest back into the franchise, I'm all for it. The experience off Hank Aaron and Capitol just seems cold and despondent before and after the game. Facts are facts: there's a whole hell of alot more money up and down Cobb Parkway than Zone 3. Common Sense Business 101: be accessible to your customers. Ain't nobody in the hood taking about how many pitches Medlen has or Andrelton's range.

Real development was approaching that area anyway though for the first time ever. No help from the city or the Braves but Old Fourth Ward and Grant Park are doing well.

But to go with your thought this new place isn't accessible. It may be on paper closer to some folks but it suuuuucks to get to from just about anywhere. And people live out of the city because they like the lifestyle out there better and prefer watching sports in their basement man cave with 60 inch tvs rather than fighting crowds. It won't matter whether its Turner field or Six Flags Braves.

There are places i could have understood a move but this is a horrible location. Schurholtz's message is so full of arrogance it's offensive. Wait till the honeymoon is over. This will be awful attendance. Think how bad traffic was going to the Braves games when you are going against traffic. Now you'll be in the same rush hour that eveyone else going home is in.

• Moderators

Kasim Reed, who I think hasn't done a good job as mayor anyway, has just had his legacy thrown in the garbage can. He lets the team that really put Atlanta on the national map walk without a fight while he's busy kissing Arthur Blank's ass. Epic Fail.

So will the Hawks be next to play Arena Greenmail? When are the Phillips Arena's bonds paid off? Looks like 2018 based on something I found on google about the thrashers leaving.

Traffic is going to be a nightmare getting home from work on nights the Braves are playing if you live in Cobb country. The Cobb locals may well rue this day for a very long time.

Edited by Randy

Uh guys, the Braves need a legitimate that of relocation of they want any public funds for renovating Turner Field.In other words, don't believe this is ACTUALLY true. If you pay attention to other cities and their stadium deals, you would see this is common for negotiation. But it looks like this tactic is working for the Braves as people have bought this. I will believe the move when the Bears or Cubs move to the suburbs. They all used this ploy to get upgrades.

This is different. It isn't a threat. They aren't negotiating and they have bought the land. It is a done deal.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2013/11/11/mayor-kasim-reed-reacts-to-braves-move.html

Edited by sultanofatl

• Moderators

They don't have a deal in writing with Cobb County on the tax revenue to fund this deal. Good luck with that.

That's the one part i'm still hopeful on. And for those tech oriented folks out there i find it funny that the home of the braves site explaining all this still has the default WordPress icon as the site icon rather than a Braves one. Seems kind of thrown together.

• Like 1