• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Official Game Thread: Hawks - Rockets

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Denver has better talent everywhere else but C and PF is close to wash.

Horford needs a real center that can defend and rebound and move him to PF. We've said this since his rookie year actually before he was even drafted. Millsap is the same way. People so easily forget how easy Millsap had it in Utah with Jefferson, Kanter and Favors to take the heavy burden off him in the paint. This is why a Millsap-Asik trade works for both teams so easily I don't see why it hasn't happened yet.

Millsap isn't tradeable yet.

Rein of three point terror continues..

Questions:

Can the Hawks do anything about their three point defense?

What is our opponents % from down town this season?

Last night our opponent shot 14-27, which is over 50%

Note: Our young JJ may be coming around. He shot 3-6

last night from beyond the arch.

Posted Image

Edited by Gray Mule
  • Like 1

Rein of three point terror continues...

...Last night our opponent shot 14-27, which is over 50%...

Agreed G M. Shooting 14 for 27 on threes is basically the equivalent of shooting 21 for 27 on twos (figuring in the extra point).

You HAVE to be willing to guard the perimeter in today's game and get a hand in the face of the shooter. Hoping the other team misses is simply not a viable strategy. I think we have the guys to do it - coach Bud just has to keep emphasizing it.

Horford needs a real center that can defend and rebound and move him to PF. We've said this since his rookie year actually before he was even drafted. Millsap is the same way. People so easily forget how easy Millsap had it in Utah with Jefferson, Kanter and Favors to take the heavy burden off him in the paint. This is why a Millsap-Asik trade works for both teams so easily I don't see why it hasn't happened yet.

The Asik -Milsap trade hasn't gone down and probably won't because the dude makes nearly $15M next year. Plus, he hasn't really looked good at all this year. But the money thing is the biggest issue.

The Asik -Milsap trade hasn't gone down and probably won't because the dude makes nearly $15M next year. Plus, he hasn't really looked good at all this year. But the money thing is the biggest issue.

Not only that, but with the way Terrence Jones has been playing this season, the Rockets may look to trade for another position or just shed salary for Parsons' eventual extension.

Not only that, but with the way Terrence Jones has been playing this season....

Agreed nathan, why would they want to slow the development of their up-and-coming young power forward? You never know - they may look back after the season and wish they did.

Really for them it could go either way. If Dwight's back starts acting up they will need Asik to shoulder the load. If not, they would sure be in good shape having a verteran PF with moves inside like Milsap -he possibly could put them over the top in the West.

AHF says Milsap isn't tradeable at this point anyway (usually right about stuff)...so who knows what may be in the works?

Personally, I would like to see our team with Asik at C and AL at PF. I think that would solidify the inside defense and would allow the other guys to get more aggressive on the perimeter D.

Terrance Jones isn't that good. He looks like a worse Jeff Green to me in a superior situation. A lot of PF's can play good next to Dwight.

His stats may not be great, but with his play as of late, it reduces the need for them to trade for Millsap. If anything, they need to be looking to get rid of the contacts of Lin/Asik. I have a feeling that they wait too long, they won't be able to extend Parsons' contract.

That is his salary but not his cap hit. Not sure you know that or are implying the A$G don't want to spend much money? Either way it misses the point of a Millsap trade, which cannot happen until mid-December. So it hasn't gone down because no Millsap trade can go down. I'm not implying we will or won't trade Paul, but we literally cannot right now.

That is his salary but not his cap hit. Not sure you know that or are implying the A$G don't want to spend much money? Either way it misses the point of a Millsap trade, which cannot happen until mid-December. So it hasn't gone down because no Millsap trade can go down. I'm not implying we will or won't trade Paul, but we literally cannot right now.

I'm aware that his cap hit is only around $8M, but my point was that I can't see DF and the A$G thinking that's a good business move. Regardless of what the league sees as the cap hit, that's a lot of $$$ for someone that's not going to get us any closer to being a contender. I like Asik okay, but if he's our highest paid player (next year) we're doing something wrong. We'd need something else to make that deal make sense.But yes, you are right about not being able to move Paul yet, even if he was playing well enough to pique their interest. But I don't see it happening for the reasons already mentioned, unless other pieces are part of the deal. Edited by LamarHampton
  • Like 1

I know you can't trade a player you signed as a free agent until the middle of December. I'm just postulating that getting Asik fits the biggest need on our roster and also moves Horford to his natural PF position.

I hear you. I would also like to be able to shift Al to PF, just not at that price associated with Asik. And his numbers this season aren't very good even when factoring in his lessened role as a backup. Why get a cheap C for half of this season whose price nearly quadruples next season (and thereby limiting our flexibilty in the offseason)? I would rather play C by committee now with Gus, Brand, & Pero (& occasionally Al) and look for the possibilty of bringing in more reasonable deals for next season and maybe Bebe, too, versus locking ourselves into a bad deal like Asik's just to have essentially a short-term rental. I just don't see the point. I don't really see Asik as that big of a game-changer, especially at that price. I'd rather keep the flexibilty and wait for the right move. And if Horf doesn't want to play C anymore, we can officially shift him to PF full-time and play the backups as C's by committee. Millsap can come off the bench (not playing great right now anyway) or we can play 2 PFs in Bud's system since it doesn't focus as much on the standard positions anyhow. We realistically aren't going after the ECF this year anyway (& probably not next year either), so why take on a bad deal just to make a move? DF has shown a strong emphasis on flexibilty, and Asik would hamper that substantially next year. Nearly $15M is a big chunk of cap space.
  • Like 1

I hear you. I would also like to be able to shift Al to PF, just not at that price associated with Asik. And his numbers this season aren't very good even when factoring in his lessened role as a backup. Why get a cheap C for half of this season whose price nearly quadruples next season (and thereby limiting our flexibilty in the offseason)? I would rather play C by committee now with Gus, Brand, & Pero (& occasionally Al) and look for the possibilty of bringing in more reasonable deals for next season and maybe Bebe, too, versus locking ourselves into a bad deal like Asik's just to have essentially a short-term rental. I just don't see the point. I don't really see Asik as that big of a game-changer, especially at that price. I'd rather keep the flexibilty and wait for the right move. And if Horf doesn't want to play C anymore, we can officially shift him to PF full-time and play the backups as C's by committee. Millsap can come off the bench (not playing great right now anyway) or we can play 2 PFs in Bud's system since it doesn't focus as much on the standard positions anyhow. We realistically aren't going after the ECF this year anyway (& probably not next year either), so why take on a bad deal just to make a move? DF has shown a strong emphasis on flexibilty, and Asik would hamper that substantially next year. Nearly $15M is a big chunk of cap space.

2 points

1) Asik's cap hit both years is like $8.66M. He gets paid $15M next year but that's not his cap-hit. I see that get said a lot but it's not true. It will not be a $15M cap hit, just an $8.66M one, which is actually less than Millsap's $9.5M cap hit.

2) Having said that, Millsap will not bring in Asik and I'm not even sure it's worth it. Asik does not make us much better and they'll be looking to package some of their assets together for a better player than Millsap. They'd be looking to deal Asik w/ young guys for Horford before Millsap IMO.

Fourth place in your conference? Thats all? Cmon, Dwight! You couldve done that back home!

After plugging the dam for two conference foes leaking seasons at the Highlight Factory, our Atlanta Hawks fly west to meet up with Americas Favorite Center, Dwight Howard, and the Houston Rockets (8:00 PM Eastern, SportSouth, CSN Houston), the leagues top scoring team at 108.7 points per game.

After spurning his hometown team and a few other suitors this summer, Howard hasnt disappointed for the Rockets (10-5), ranking second in the NBA for rebounds (13.2 RPG) and fourth in blocks (2.3 BPG) while averaging a modest 17.7 points in deference to James Harden (24.2 PPG, 6th in NBA). With The Bearded One sidelined with a sore foot, Howards remained deferential in the past two games, leaving the offense to the likes of Aaron Brooks (26 points versus Minnesota) and the pair of Chandler Parsons and Omri Casspi (33 combined points against Memphis).

If Harden remains on the bench for an extra game, look for Dwight to take a little more charge on the offensive end. The size advantage with Al Horford, who cant afford early foul trouble, is self-evident, while Gustavo Ayón and Pero Antić arent striking any more fear into hearts as Nikola Pekovic, or even Kosta Koufos.

Dwights penchant for temperamental behavior when things arent going his way has already reared its head. Much like the Hawks, the Rockets blew a comfortable second-half lead to Dirk, Monta and the division-rival Mavericks last week, despite Howards 33 points in a losing effort, and as the end was near Howard lobbed the ball after the whistle into the stands, costing him 25 stacks after a fine from the league office.

Houston cannot afford foul trouble by Howard, who has yet to foul out this year. Greg Smith remains sidelined with a knee sprain, and Head Coach Kevin McHale would be left to rely on two bigs whose skills hed very much like to merge into one player. Omer Asik (4.2 PPG, career-low 48.6 FG%) remains imposing defensively, but still has hands of stone, and is already looking for a way out of H-Town, now that hes been benched after failing to work out at power forward after 82 games last season starting for the Rox at the 5. Donatas Motiejunas has very good offensive moves, but gets clumsy on the other end of the floor.

With the Rockets offensive scheme built around the contact-savvy Harden, and Hack-a-Howard (54.1 FT%) defenses deployed against them, Houston takes six more trips to the free throw line (35.1 FT attempts per game) than any other NBA team. Although the Rockets are only hitting free throws at around a 70% clip, the Hawks (18.3 personal fouls per game, 3rd lowest in NBA) are too thin talent-wise to have players in foul trouble tonight. Much of the jailbreak Atlanta experienced last night came after DeMarre Carroll had to sit with foul trouble from Ding up Arron Afflalo.

Terrence Jones has put up with overlooking commentary regarding the Rockets need for a true power forward, and has been rewarded with the starting spot for taking it all in stride and performing well at the position. In his last seven games as a starter in place of Asik, the second-year forward has averaged 14.4 PPG, 8.1 RPG, and 1.7 BPG while also proving capable of stepping outside for deep shots (46.7 3FG%). Hes struggling on defense and with free throw shooting since starting, but hes done as well alongside Howard as anyone could have expected from either Asik or Josh Smith. Paul Millsap can help out the Hawks offensively, by attacking the rim early and drawing help from Howard away from Al and the driving Jeff Teague.

Teagues Hawks are down to 1-5 when he scores 15 points or less. Up against Jeremy Lin (two 30+ scoring outings already this year, career-high 16.3 PPG), Patrick Beverley, and/or Brooks, any of whom can go off at any time, Atlantas point guard corps is slimmed even further with Shelvin Macks sprained ankle keeping him out of action. Teague must carry the Hawks offense, using screens to open up paths to the hoop, but must be judicious when drawing contact in the lane. Houston does turn over the ball a bunch (18.1 TOs per game, most in NBA), so Atlanta must execute a goof-free transition game to stay competitive throughout.

Teagues ability to produce offense will be strained further without Kyle Korver and Lou Williams available. Korvers dealing with bruised ribs and Williams is resting on his back-to-back game restriction, so it will be up to Cartier Martin, John Jenkins, and Carroll to spread the floor. The Hawks wings struggled last night keeping Afflalo and Orlandos swingmen in check, and that task gets tougher against Dwights BFF (sorry, Smoove) Parsons (career highs of 16.7 PPG, 52.5 FG%, and 3.8 APG) and a rejuvenated, Hanukkah-celebrating Casspi (career-high 38.6 3FG%). Horfords Dominican Republic teammate Frenchy Garcia continues to shoot poorly (career-low 37.0 FG%), but may get some floor time tonight for defensive purposes if the Rockets can build up a comfortable lead.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! And Go Hawks!

~lw3

View the full article

The AJC could use a guy like you
  • Like 1

Denver has better talent everywhere else but C and PF is close to wash. Horford needs a real center that can defend and rebound and move him to PF. We've said this since his rookie year actually before he was even drafted. Millsap is the same way. People so easily forget how easy Millsap had it in Utah with Jefferson, Kanter and Favors to take the heavy burden off him in the paint. This is why a Millsap-Asik trade works for both teams so easily I don't see why it hasn't happened yet.

It can't until 12/15Summer signings are ineligible for trade until 12/15