• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The era of anything to help Bron... (Hawks featured)

Diesel

Good article! I'm glad someone's finally writing the truth about the Heats favoritism shown by the NBA refs. Stern has gotten away with this crap for too long. The sad part is how everyone managed to ignored Donahue after he spoke on the criminal dealings of the commissioner. I've been saying this ever since the Lakers were being helped past the Kings years back. And even the when Philadelphia player LA in the Finals.

Someone knows what happened.

When you can have your own personal referee, Crawford, you can do this.

All the rest of the NBA apparently has no choice but to suffer.

We know that no player or coach is allowed to complain about this because

then the commissioner will give them a very big $$$ fine and tell them to

go away and shut up. Same for the owners.

If enough sports writer would speak up as this one has, maybe, just maybe,

there can be some positive action. Question is, do others have the fortitude

to open their mouth?

I used to try to give the Heat and the officiating the benefit of the doubt. LeBron himself does do a damn good job of defending without fouling, which of course gets him more leeway when he really does foul. I'm just not a big conspiracy theory guy, but godda&m even I gotta agree that they get by far the most beneficial whistles and non-calls of anybody. Teague drew a flat out full body, intentional foul to the hole, nothing. Sometimes even the Heat players themselves gotta be like "damn, that was a bad call/ no call, but we'll take it". Surprisingly there wasn't a huge controversial call their way in a 7 game Finals this past summer. And I could probably live with it a little more if it were a huge market. I know they have the flagship player and all, but it's f$&kin Miami where the fanbase is horrible.

Edited by benhillboy

I think this all stems from the ESPN model - create superstars by talking them up constantly, featuring their games and creating a lot of buzz. There are plenty of fans that follow ESPN and then show up at games to root for Kobe, LeBron, Rose, etc rather than the home team. ESPN apparently has figured out or decided that to improve ratings you have to sell the stars and really forget about the game itself. Probably works best in basketball more than most other sports since one player out of 5 is more important than 1 of 9 in baseball, or one of 22 in football. (Sorry if I get the numbers wrong - I don't follow those sports much. I couldn't pick out most of the Falcons or Braves out of a line up.)

Having the refs play into it, would fit right in. Can't have a superstar on a team that looses to the likes of the Hawks can we?

Maybe that crooked ref (Doneny??) was right?

Edited by Randy

• Premium Member

I think this all stems from the ESPN model - create superstars by talking them up constantly, featuring their games and creating a lot of buzz. There are plenty of fans that follow ESPN and then show up at games to root for Kobe, LeBron, Rose, etc rather than the home team. ESPN apparently has figured out or decided that to improve ratings you have to sell the stars and really forget about the game itself. Probably works best in basketball more than most other sports since one player out of 5 is more important than 1 of 9 in baseball, or one of 22 in football. (Sorry if I get the numbers wrong - I don't follow those sports much. I couldn't pick out most of the Falcons or Braves out of a line up.)

Having the refs play into it, would fit right in. Can't have a superstar on a team that looses to the likes of the Hawks can we?

Maybe that crooked ref (Doneny??) was right?

Watching NBA.Com is no better than ESPN. Last night, NBA.Com went to great lengths to ignore the obvious fouls, no fouls, and bad calls. On the Ray Allen Shot, I found myself watching Brent Barry trying to show a slow motion with a red circle as to when DMC hit Allen... but he didn't. Guys hold their tongues about bad calls and don't say a word. Like i said earlier, there's no difference between NBA and Wrasslin. Their both orchestrated to give the expected outcome.

I never understood why that Donahue claim wasnt investigated. Sure he was a criminal but if a guy who is at the bottom of a food chain crime wise blows the whistle on the guys who are at the top doesnt that warrant at least an investigation. Wouldnt the FBI want to skake the tree?

As for the game well if we lose a game because we suck I dont mind. When we lose games like this to THAT team when we were the better team tonite but the refs screwed us, well thats when I want to say F the nba and not watch anymore. Im a Hawks fan not an nba and if they aint playing I aint watching. The nba can piss off.

• Like 1

Watching NBA.Com is no better than ESPN. Last night, NBA.Com went to great lengths to ignore the obvious fouls, no fouls, and bad calls. On the Ray Allen Shot, I found myself watching Brent Barry trying to show a slow motion with a red circle as to when DMC hit Allen... but he didn't. Guys hold their tongues about bad calls and don't say a word. Like i said earlier, there's no difference between NBA and Wrasslin. Their both orchestrated to give the expected outcome.

espn is on its knees with its mouth open for lebron. Unless its a live game i want to see i dont even turn on any of their channels

• Like 1

Last night's calls/no-calls made Bret Hall rethink about how badly he was screwed in the '97 Survivor Series. The Ray Allen 'call' was bad enough. But when the Hawks needed a basket in OT, Chalmers all but speared Korver to keep him from scoring the ball right in front of the refs; no call.I'll bet if they were to meet in the second round, Stern would wear a referee uniform like Vince McMahon to ensure that they advance...

• Premium Member

I never understood why that Donahue claim wasnt investigated. Sure he was a criminal but if a guy who is at the bottom of a food chain crime wise blows the whistle on the guys who are at the top doesnt that warrant at least an investigation. Wouldnt the FBI want to skake the tree?

Donaghy told the truth just like Jose Conseco told the truth about Steroids. Some people have no reason to lie. These are those. What Donaghy didn't tell was the power and influence D-Stern has. D-Stern is a mob boss. This guy put the shut down on any possible investigation by discrediting the man telling the truth. He also has shut the mouths of ESPN and NBA.Com and any other large news organization. Like I said, expected outcome. So here's what he can do:

1. Fix important Lottery. (Lebron to Cleveland, Ewing to NY)

2. Fix important Games. (Heat over Mavs, Heat over Pacers and Spurs).

3. Stop Trades. (ask CP3 about that).

But the one thing he can't stop....

It used to be called "The Blogosphere" . Now, it's guys who can get their op eds into the press and develop a following and can care less about what Stern wants.

My prediction. Stern Leaves this year and next year or the year after a huge corruption case hits the NBA.

Just thinking out loud, but why hasn't the lottery been fixed towards the Hawks. I mean we're one of the largest basketball markets so you would think it would be in the leagues best interest to make the Hawks a competitive team. I'm not saying we're a good fan base, but the league has a reason to help us out in the name of advancing the brand.

• Premium Member

Just thinking out loud, but why hasn't the lottery been fixed towards the Hawks. I mean we're one of the largest basketball markets so you would think it would be in the leagues best interest to make the Hawks a competitive team. I'm not saying we're a good fan base, but the league has a reason to help us out in the name of advancing the brand.

Well, they did. We had the #2 pick overall in the strongest draft in memory and we squandered it on Marvin Williams. Like I said, the Lottery is not fixed every year, but take note of the important years. Lebron. Duncan. Even the year Cleveland got Kyle Irving... think about it... the year Lebron took his skills to South Beach, his old team gets the #1 pick overall?

History has shown that even with a superstar or even with a good team, our fan support is nothing. I mean, we had Nique and the power of TBS behind us and we could not put fans in seats.