• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will Millsap's Name Be Called Tonight? (Update - Millsap is an All Star!)

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

If we had 13 All-Star players instead of 12, I'd have no doubts. But with just seven reserves and no true center in the starting lineup, Paul's on the fence to make it among the East's seven reserves.

What are your pros and cons?

Case for:

[*]Career-high 17.8 points and 3.0 assists per game. [*]Career-high 6.1 defensive rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game; career-low 2.8 personal fouls per game. [*]One of three players ranked Top 15 in the East for both scoring and rebounding average. [*]One of four Top 50 NBA scorers (only one in the East) averaging over one block and one steal per game. [*]Stepped up offensive production after Al Horford was lost for the season: 18.8 PPG, 2.6 ORPG, 3.5 APG in last 30 days. [*]Louisiana kid makes good, earns a trip to New Orleans. [*]Expanded his range this season by adding an occasionally effective 3-point shot. 41 of his 72 career three-pointers have come halfway through his 8th season. [*]87.7 FT% in January. [*]Hawks consistently among East’s Top 4, defying most pre-season prognostications.

Case against:

[*]Career-low 46.7 field goal percentage and 49.0 two-point field goal percentage. [*]Career-high 2.4 turnovers per game. [*]40.6 field goal percentage, 22.6 three-point field goal percentage in January (opposing defenses keying in without Horford, and with Jeff Teague struggling). [*]East frontcourt reserves more likely to be stocked with bigs who can play center (Bosh, Hibbert, Noah) with LeBron James starting against Dwight Howard. [*]No marquee Hawks wins on the road.

~lw3

If you just go by the numbers, Sap should get in. I`d take him over Bosh, in part because they already have 2 all stars, and that Millsap is a better player than Bosh. Noah is close, but I think Sap should get in over him if it comes down to it - the Bulls have a lot of solid players, the Hawks don`t.

Would love for Millsap to be an all star in New Orleans, we were born at the same hospital and grew up in the same town, went to same college - Millsap`s my boy!!!!!

• Like 3

• Moderators

NBA.com had Millsap making it in without a wild card, as of last week:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/01/23/east-reserves-hard-to-spread-around/

THE FRONTCOURT

As the anchor of the best defense of the last 37 years, Roy Hibbert is the most obvious reserve pick in the East. Teammate David West, as another key cog for the league’s best team who ranks ninth (among players who have logged at least 1,000 minutes) in the East in PIE, also has a case.

Paul Millsap has been a beast for the team that currently ranks third in the conference, while Luol Deng,Joakim Noah and Anderson Varejao all deserve consideration for their two-way contributions. Al Jefferson has carried the Charlotte offense and, oh yeah, there’s the Heat’s second most important player, Chris Bosh.

My picks: Bosh, Hibbert and Millsap.

After winning Eastern Conference Player of the Week, at least one NBA.com writer believes that's still the case:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/01/30/all-star-reserves-named-tonight-on-tnt/

In the Eastern Conference, after Hibbert of the Pacers, Chris Bosh of the Heat, Joakim Noah of the Bulls, Paul Millsap of the Hawks and John Wall of the Wizards, the questions swirl around the two wild card slots. DeMar DeRozan, Kyle Lowry, Lance Stephenson, Arron Afflalo and Joe Johnson are top candidates.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

Another pre-POTW predictor, Matt Moore (CBS Sports) appears to have Sap in as a wild card.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24418425/eob-picks-2014-nba-all-star-reserves

Paul Millsap, F, Atlanta Hawks -- Millsap has filled in Horford's production and helped keep the Hawks competitive without their best player

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

USA Today, from a couple weeks ago:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/allstar/2014/01/13/all-star-game-eastern-conference-roster-picks/4460045/

Frontcourt: Paul Millsap, Atlanta Hawks

The Hawks scored in free agency by signing Millsap, who is third in double-doubles (16) among free agent acquisitions. He is averaging 19.2 points, 9.0 rebounds and 3.3 assists since Al Horford's season-ending injury.

He hasn't had any double-doubles since January 4, so as of now I believe he's 6th among all 2013 free agents (Howard, CP3, Pekovic, Jefferson, tied w/ Hickson).

~lw3

• Moderators

SI's Ben Golliver pretended he could pick his own starters (Kyrie didn't make it as a starter, for example) before going into the reserves. Millsap would make it in anyway.

http://nba.si.com/2014/01/29/2014-nba-all-star-reserves-east-west/2/

The final spots in the East are relatively easy to decide by comparison. For starters: Millsap’s far-reaching contributions in a giant role for the Hawks earn him an All-Star berth without much issue. Atlanta is too often a forgotten team, eclipsed in the national consciousness by the rise of the Pacers, the Heat story of the week, the slow starts of the New York teams and the sad state of the East in general. But Millsap has enabled the Hawks to compile a 23-21 record — the third best in the conference — despite injuries to Al Horford and Jeff Teague. That is no small feat, particularly for a player who in past seasons struggled to stay efficient when operating without the help of other star scorers.

That hasn’t been an issue for Millsap as a Hawk. He leads the team in points (17.8), rebounds (8.2), steals (1.7) and blocks (1.2) while chipping in more assists (3.0) than any non-point guard on the roster. It would be hard for Millsap to take on any more responsibility with the Hawks than he does already, and yet he’s remained very effective through that role inflation.

~lw3

Mr. Golliver sounds like an informed dude. You can rate national basketball journalists on how well they can report on the Hawks. The stock cliche for those who haven't watched is just "they've been a surprise." This cat brought some meat.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Sure hope he gets in. We a top 4 east team. We need at least one rep. He's been carrying the load with Horford out, and now with Teague out. If Bosh makes it over him I'm gonna be pissed.

He should make it, but yes that is my opinion as an atlanta fan. He works way too hard and does too much for this team (yes, more than smoove could do, IMO again) to not make it. But I guess there is a player on everyteam that case could be made for.

I know this probably doesnt belong in this post, but is there any chance Horf could be back before the playoffs? Or are the automatically ruling him out until next season to prevent any further injuries? It only takes 3-4 months to heal, right? So he should be able to play? Even if we play him in limited minutes off the bench for Pero, that would be great.

• Like 1

My picks . . . which have changed since last week

G - Wall

G - Lowry

G - Stephenson

F - Millsap

F/C - Bosh

C - Hibbert

C - Jefferson

I had Noah in as the last C in the East . . . until Jefferson basically destroyed him the other night. Both of those guys deserve to go. But Jefferson has been an absolute monster the last 10 games, to the tune of 27 pts - 12 rebs, on 53% FG. And he's doing it without their 2nd leading scorer, Kemba Walker.

I had Joe Johnson in, instead of Millsap, because I was afraid that the national media would vote in JJ due to his hot streak and big games, and snub Millsap. But with JJ coasting the past few games, he may or may not get in now.

Lance Stephenson, despite having huge numbers, seems to be everyone's favorite to make the reserves, because he plays defense and his offensive game has improved.

If you have to decide between one Raptor, my choice is Lowry. The dude has been nothing short of excellent this season. I wouldn't be mad if DeRozan made it as well, but Lowry probably deserves it more.

I think Millsap has definitely played his way into this game. He's kept the Hawks afloat and very competitive in the absence of Horford, and has become the undisputed leader of the team these days. If he didn't make it, it would truly be a shame.

• Like 1

If he does not make the allstar roster there will be a price to pay across the country. Old Testament , wrath of God type stuff. Fire and brimstone raing down from the skies!Rivers and seas boiling! 40 years of darkness ,Earthquakes , volcanoes , and the dead rising from their graves! Human sacrifice , dogs and cats living together..Mass hysteria!+1 for whoever gets that movie quote

Edited by savwboy
  • Like 4