• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Peachtreehoops nails it on why Jeff Teague has struggled.

coachx

Perhaps. I really believe moving his deal will more difficult than many think due to the abundance of quality point guards in the league. I'd much rathered the Hawks held on to that money to use at a later time while collecting a better draft asset to work with.

I think if we had let Teague walk that we would have signed Ellis or more likely Jennings and that may or may not be worse than what we have. Either way we'd still have a contract to move as I see little chance we wouldn't have signed one of those 3. But you're right it might not be easy to get something of quality for him.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I think if we had let Teague walk that we would have signed Ellis or more likely Jennings and that may or may not be worse than what we have. Either way we'd still have a contract to move as I see little chance we wouldn't have signed one of those 3. But you're right it might not be easy to get something of quality for him.

Yeah, that is true. I'd forgotten about the Hawks brief summer love affair with Monta Ellis and possibly Brandon Jennings. I guess Ferry was bound and determined to field a competitive team this year. But going after those guys? Yuck. Edited by Jody23
  • Like 2

I still think he's a great PG and a good piece to have, maybe not "above average" as this is "the golden age of PG's" and so many teams have their star players in PG roles, so whats "average" these days?

His facial expression though and body language sure seems lackluster, but I think thats just how he is as a dude. I dont think he actually is lackluster, but he's not an energizer either, which is a PG quality he doesnt have.

Shame he didnt grow up in some Ghetto, learning to have toughness and a mean grim on your face.

He looks a like a nice introverted intelligent dude, I wouldnt mind my daughter to show up with. But I think thats just how he is with all the pro's and cons.

Edited by DS17Fanboy

I still think he's a great PG and a good piece to have, maybe not "above average" as this is "the golden age of PG's" and so many teams have their star players in PG roles, so whats "average" these days?

His facial expression though and body language sure seems lackluster, but I think thats just how he is as a dude. I dont think he actually is lackluster, but he's not an energizer either, which is a PG quality he doesnt have.

Shame he didnt grow up in some Ghetto, learning to have toughness and a mean grim on your face.

He looks a like a nice introverted intelligent dude, I wouldnt mind my daughter to show up with. But I think thats just how he is with all the pro's and cons.

Jeff is mos def NOT and NEVER has been a GREAT PG

Edited by Bonkers

I will agree that he is a PG. Not trying to demonize him, just trying to be real about him.

No your also a bit to hard on him considering he's not nearly the Hawks biggest problem. This team overall is very low on talent and completely battered up. Its hard for me to expect more from this timid no-real-leader dude and the way he is with all his pro's and cons.

Like someone else said he would be great on Miami, Dallas, etc, and like I said hes a nice piece, he's no Magic or Stockton though, and yeah no 2013/2014 season Dragic either.

Edited by DS17Fanboy
  • Like 1

I will agree that he is a PG. Not trying to demonize him, just trying to be real about him.

At the end of the day nobody would be talking about Teague if we didn't need him to be our front center go to guy.The spurs system requires an aggressive point guard who can score all day in the paint with pg instincts....Teague unfortunately is none if that.

I don't think they really nailed anything. They just came up with the same speculation that we have. Bottom line is that this is all just excuses to try and justify a mediocre PG when we should be coming to the realization that it is all he is and likely will ever be. He'd be a great PG for a team like Miami but he's not what we need here.

Agree he said basically the same thing we have seen on here............but he articulates the point in the best way I have seen. Especially mentioning how Horford and Anitc require respect for their perimeter game and cause the paint to be less crowded for Teague to drive and finish.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm not big on using stats to try to make an argument. I know with a lot of players including Teague there are good and bad stats you can point to. But the dude is 8th in the league in assists per game and 7th among PGs in ppg. if that's average and a major offensive liability then well...we just disagree.

• Like 2

No your also a bit to hard on him considering he's not nearly the Hawks biggest problem. This team overall is very low on talent and completely battered up. Its hard for me to expect more from this timid no-real-leader dude and the way he is with all his pro's and cons.

Like someone else said he would be great on Miami, Dallas, etc, and like I said hes a nice piece, he's no Magic or Stockton though, and yeah no 2013/2014 season Dragic either.

He's our 3 highest paid player so he deserves every bit of the criticisms. If he were a rookie or 2nd year player then it would be different but regressing in your 4th year and again in your 5th year is not a good sign.

I'm not big on using stats to try to make an argument. I know with a lot of players including Teague there are good and bad stats you can point to. But the dude is 8th in the league in assists per game and 7th among PGs in ppg. if that's average and a major offensive liability then well...we just disagree.

Fair enough. I guess we can point to how he's among the worst of his PG contemporaries in FG%, 3PT%, eFG%, TS%, Turnover %, PER, and on and on. Look how he compares with other PGs between 20 and 29 years old who average 5 apg or more. Sort on any number of categories and you'll see how poor he is.

For single seasons; played in the NBA/BAA; in the regular season; in 2013-14; from age 20 to 29; played G; qualified for Minutes Per Game Leaderboard; requiring Assists Per Game >= 5; sorted by descending Win Shares Per 48 Minutes.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&per_minute_base=36&type=advanced&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=2014&year_max=2014&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=20&age_max=29&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&qual=mp_per_g_req&c1stat=ast_per_g&c1comp=gt&c1val=5&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=ws_per_48

• Premium Member

Is that to suggest that criticism of Smoove was wrong and that he's gone on to prove we were wrong?

Not necessarily. But sometimes I thought the criticism of Smoove was a bit unfair at times. It seems the worst thing that can happen to a player on this team is to show any flashes of being something special. At that point, it becomes superstar or bust in some people's minds. I just don't get the all or nothing approach some posters have of the players. I remember a time when we would've been happy with 16ppg and 7apg from the point guard position. Teague is NOT this team's problem. Chris Paul ain't walking through that door...

• Like 1

Not necessarily. But sometimes I thought the criticism of Smoove was a bit unfair at times. It seems the worst thing that can happen to a player on this team is to show any flashes of being something special. At that point, it becomes superstar or bust in some people's minds. I just don't get the all or nothing approach some posters have of the players. I remember a time when we would've been happy with 16ppg and 7apg from the point guard position. Teague is NOT this team's problem. Chris Paul ain't walking through that door...

If Teague consistently played at his .131 level of 2011-2012 then we'd have little complaints about him and that's still not at Ty Lawson levels. The problem is that he's playing well below what is considered average and he's only had that 1 good season. I wouldn't say he's ever flashed star potential, just the potential to be a quality starting PG, not even a really good one. He flashed for 1 month this year, in December with a +4.9 +/- and then turned right around and went -5.0 in January, I mean what the heck? It's just a really bad sign when you see 1 player go down with injury (Horford) and another (Teague) just absolutely plummet after that. At 8 million Teague needs to be a guy who can be a good player regardless of who's around him. Horford should have allowed him to go from good to very good, not well below average to good.

Agree he said basically the same thing we have seen on here............but he articulates the point in the best way I have seen. Especially mentioning how Horford and Anitc require respect for their perimeter game and cause the paint to be less crowded for Teague to drive and finish.

Me and @Sothron have been saying this for years. coachx, you should start reading our posts instead of ignoring us.

• Like 1

Not the fault of the OP but the thread makes no sense and is only here for certain people to post in bulk. He is definitely the current Josh Smith. Al Horford's rebounding was down even when playing this year and nobody acted like they saw it. Millsap has really been forcing it since Al went down and nobody sees it. Ferry's decision making put this team in a position where depth is lacking but everyone wants to give him more time even after he could not get it done with the best player in the league and first ballot HOF'er Lebron James.

I feel that a lot of people like posting more than basketball. Most people are not even discussing the article, just redundant stuff about what Teague isn't and never will be.

Edited by MrMeltdown
  • Like 1

Chris Paul wouldn't keep the team in the third seed with a dilacerated roster as ours. Why should Teague?

Liked for the use of "dilacerated"...yes...it's an actual word:

di·lac·er·ate

/dɪˈlæsPosted Imageəˌreɪt, daɪ-/ Show Spelled [dih-las-uh-reyt, dahy-] Show IPA

verb (used with object), di·lac·er·at·ed, di·lac·er·at·ing.
to tear apart or to pieces.
Origin:

1375–1425; late Middle English (adj.) < Latin dīlacerātus torn to pieces (past participle of dīlacerāre ), equivalent to dī- di-2 + lacerātus torn; see lacerate

Amazing the stuff you learn around here Posted Image
  • Like 1

Whoever stated "Teague is playing with a bunch of bums is the real reason" is right on the freaking money! Finally someone gets it. Thank you and I will buy you a beer next time you come trough TN.Lebron, Bosh, and Wade make Mario Chalmers look like the best PG in the league. Same can be said with Paul and Rondo. All of these "superstars PGs" have bad other superstars to make their job easier and make them look better than they are. Teague needs help to excel. Please someone tell me, ever, when a PG solely won an NBA season and the Finals by him freakingself. I can go on, but I fear, I'm wasting my time with some.

Edited by Camouflage
  • Like 2