• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Lance Stephenson Mega Thread

GameTime

It's pretty instructive to hear that the Dallas Mavericks, as ESPN.com has been reporting since Dallas' first-round playoff exit to San Antonio, do not intend to pursue Stephenson come July. The Mavs could certainly use Stephenson's athleticism, versatility and playmaking and showed everyone last summer -- with the signing of Monta Ellis -- that they're not afraid to take a perceived gamble. But it's pretty telling when the risk-taking Mavs, after the combination of Dirk Nowitzki and Rick Carlisle brought the best out of Ellis, aren't eager to see if they can't do the same with Lance. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.seSKHUMJ.dpuf
But here's the thing: Stephenson has turned off potential free-agent suitors with his unreliability -- ever since being snubbed for the Eastern Conference All-Star team -- as much or more than he's annoyed fellow Pacers. His free-agent market, according to the latest whispers on the personnel grapevine, is already drying up ... and it's not even June 1 yet. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.KEucl6cZ.dpuf
Edited by yungsta
  • Like 1

It's pretty instructive to hear that the Dallas Mavericks, as ESPN.com has been reporting since Dallas' first-round playoff exit to San Antonio, do not intend to pursue Stephenson come July. The Mavs could certainly use Stephenson's athleticism, versatility and playmaking and showed everyone last summer -- with the signing of Monta Ellis -- that they're not afraid to take a perceived gamble. But it's pretty telling when the risk-taking Mavs, after the combination of Dirk Nowitzki and Rick Carlisle brought the best out of Ellis, aren't eager to see if they can't do the same with Lance. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.seSKHUMJ.dpuf

But here's the thing: Stephenson has turned off potential free-agent suitors with his unreliability -- ever since being snubbed for the Eastern Conference All-Star team -- as much or more than he's annoyed fellow Pacers. His free-agent market, according to the latest whispers on the personnel grapevine, is already drying up ... and it's not even June 1 yet. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.KEucl6cZ.dpuf

Mavs took a gamble....I feel like the hawks can take a gamble and get the best out of lance. Lance don't respect Vogel but he respects Bird though he disobeyed him (I guess)....bird asked him not to blow in Lebrons ear anymore and he didn't.

Everybody see lance as not being mature and so do I to a certain extent but on the flip side he also has more balls than 95% of the people that face off against lebron! Not because he blew in his ear but because he never backs down.

Ferry/Bud are going to make the right decision. I'm just saying "hey guys there's a 23 year old elite defender in free agency that's unrestricted and has traits of Rodman/Artest in free agency"

If ferry/bud feel like they can handle it like the mavs did with Ellis I'm sure they will go after him.

Edited by JTB

Mavs took a gamble....I feel like the hawks can take a gamble and get the best out of lance. Lance don't respect Vogel but he respects Bird though he disobeyed him (I guess)....bird asked him not to blow in Lebrons ear anymore and he didn't.

Everybody see lance as not being mature and so do I to a certain extent but on the flip side he also has more balls than 95% of the people that face off against lebron! Not because he blew in his ear but because he never backs down.

His own teammates are mixed on him returning. Let's learn from Detroit and NOT take a major cash gamble on a player his teammates don't even want on the team.

Ferry/Bud are going to make the right decision. I'm just saying "hey guys there's a 23 year old elite defender in free agency that's unrestricted and has traits of Rodman/Artest in free agency"

If ferry/bud feel like they can handle it like the mavs did with Ellis I'm sure they will go after him.

I don't remember Monta having any locker room/teammate issue - it was about his shot selection, style of play etc. Rodmans/Artest teammates loved them, would go to battle with them - Lance, not so much. Doesn't even sound as if they want him back.

HOF Bird didn't get through to him but DF/Bud will?

His own teammates are mixed on him returning. Let's learn from Detroit and NOT take a major cash gamble on a player his teammates don't even want on the team.

Which teammates? The Paul George comment was out of context and David West said he wants him back. I haven't heard anyone else say anything else.

@Dolfan23

Well look dolf...ferry and bud ain't stupid. I'm just giving a fans observation on how I view the troubled lance Stephenson and just kinda making a point that guys like lance can be on championship teams! I mean I have seen Rodman and Artest do worse and call me crazy but if they were young in their prime and I'm gm I would take their crazy asses today just like I would gamble on lance.

But there's nothing for hawk fans to worry about I'm sure ferry/bud won't risk money on a guy like lance, again I'm just putting in my 2cents on the guy.

To me lance is an elite defender, who will make everyone especially DMC a better defender as well and we will have a better overall team defensively in a major way.

@Dolfan23

Well look dolf...ferry and bud ain't stupid. I'm just giving a fans observation on how I view the troubled lance Stephenson and just kinda making a point that guys like lance can be on championship teams! I mean I have seen Rodman and Artest do worse and call me crazy but if they were young in their prime and I'm gm I would take their crazy asses today just like I would gamble on lance.

But there's nothing for hawk fans to worry about I'm sure ferry/bud won't risk money on a guy like lance, again I'm just putting in my 2cents on the guy.

To me lance is an elite defender, who will make everyone especially DMC a better defender as well and we will have a better overall team defensively in a major way.

You keep missing the point - it's not all about the antics on the floor, it's the interaction with his teammates in the locker room. Arrest/Rodman did things to other teams the did not do stuff to disrupt the offense/defense of their own teammates. BIG difference.

Which teammates? The Paul George comment was out of context and David West said he wants him back. I haven't heard anyone else say anything else.

I don't know, didn't click on the link as I doubted it would publicly say what teammates are saying to reporters privately. I'm sure some of his teammates love him but there's no doubt that some don't like his antics. For me I don't mind his style of play or the antics as long as he's playing hard. I just can't get over the off the court stuff from his past.

@Dolfan23

You're comparing a pretty good player to arguably the best rebounder of our generation and arguably the best wing defender of our generation. Sure they had warts but they were the absolute best in the game at what they did and both had very strong leaders on their teams from a coaching and player standpoint. We're a young team without any real leaders that he will have to respect. There's no Jordan, no Kobe, no Shaq, no Isaiah, no Daily, no Phil Jackson here. Much easier to take a risk on Artest and Rodman than it is on Lance.

But the minute a guy puts his hands on a woman and/or child, they're done for me.

Let me put it like this...usually there's something a team is going to have to deal with.

For years we had to deal with smiths terrible shot selection but most wanted to keep him cause at one point he was a great rim protector. The kings have to deal with Cousins who's also immature like lance but because centers like cousins are so extinct of course they are keeping him.

All I'm saying is that Lance play surpasses his little antics by far and if that's all you got to deal with that's nothing. The pacers chemistry problems didn't start with lance it started with bird trading granger.

So what lance got into a fight with turner! These things happen often and clearly the pacers organization don't know how to keep it in house! I'm sure Bruce Bowen, Avery Johnson and some others got into it with their teammates during practice too. Probably Rodman, Pippen too because the all time great MJ was an asshole.

You're comparing a pretty good player to arguably the best rebounder of our generation and arguably the best wing defender of our generation. Sure they had warts but they were the absolute best in the game at what they did and both had very strong leaders on their teams from a coaching and player standpoint. We're a young team without any real leaders that he will have to respect. There's no Jordan, no Kobe, no Shaq, no Isaiah, no Daily, no Phil Jackson here. Much easier to take a risk on Artest and Rodman than it is on Lance.

But the minute a guy puts his hands on a woman and/or child, they're done for me.

Did lance put his hands on a woman or child?

Wait he hit a women/child?

The cheaper he becomes, the more I want him. He just pulls that type of foolishness with LeBron and Wade to at least attempt to rattle them because he knew his team was outmatched straight up. There was nothing out of line versus us: West and George were the villians. Lance was rather quiet facing Kyle, same with Bradley Beal.

He started 19 games in the playoffs, the exact same number of games last postseason, and almost all of his numbers show great improvement. Nobody on that team besides he and George have improved, and Hibbert has regressed. Bud and Quinn would have a field day molding this kid into a more creative Kawhi Leonard with an edge. He snatches rebounds and pushes immediately because Hibbert let's them hit the floor, and free-wills with the dribble some times because Hill is trash.

2 years/ 15 milli, don't harm anyone.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Here ya go @Spud2Nique @JTB

Being involved with two fights with teammates isn't enough? Or his groping a 17 year old? Or, ya know, pushing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs?

The guy has talent but he's a head case. I just can't see Ferry wanting to bring that on the team.

The cheaper he becomes, the more I want him. He just pulls that type of foolishness with LeBron and Wade to at least attempt to rattle them because he knew his team was outmatched straight up. There was nothing out of line versus us: West and George were the villians. Lance was rather quiet facing Kyle, same with Bradley Beal.

He started 19 games in the playoffs, the exact same number of games last postseason, and almost all of his numbers show great improvement. Nobody on that team besides he and George have improved, and Hibbert has regressed. Bud and Quinn would have a field day molding this kid into a more creative Kawhi Leonard with an edge. He snatches rebounds and pushes immediately because Hibbert let's them hit the floor, and free-wills with the dribble some times because Hill is trash.

2 years/ 15 milli, don't harm anyone.

The cheaper in terms of contract or the cheaper in terms of cheap shots he takes????

I'm not gonna sit here and say that Stephenson isn't talented but a lot of times he's just a distraction. Dude is a clown to me and I don't like his J.R. Smith-like antics. Pinchin' nipples, blowin' in players' ears, and touchin' they lips? Nah bruh, that ain't basketaball and that ain't something I want on the Atlanta Hawks.

• Like 2

Some of you need to bookmark this thread, as I'm about to do. When Lance is somewhere else and flat out balling for that team, while we may STILL be looking for an athletic wing, remember this thread.

SMH .. scary GMs are going to pass on him, and he'll end up on the Lakers playing along side Kobe. Or worst, he'll end up in Charlotte, and make them a top 3 team.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises