• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

All you tankers should be ashamed of yourselves

HawkItus

People only really remember winners. Nobody cares anymore that the Hawks played Boston to 7 games in 2008.

Which is why it's much better for the league to now be buzzing about the Hawks nearly eliminating the #1 Pacers in Game 6 without our best player and with a 1st year coach, and still picking 15th, instead of none of that happening and picking 14th.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

• Moderators

People only really remember winners. Nobody cares anymore that the Hawks played Boston to 7 games in 2008.

I don't really remember drafting Marvin Williams, Sheldon Williams, Josh Childress. I don't care anymore about those guys.

I'm still a tanker although I thoroughly enjoyed the playoff series. Can't fault the teams who tanked but didn't "win" the lottery. No one could've known the NBA hadn't re-paid their LeBron-left debt to the Cavs.

Assuming that the lottery is fixed, why would you want to gamble on that? That is some ass backwards thinking. That is like going to the Fair and putting your mortgage payment on hitting shots on that rim that is smaller than the ball lol

Guest Zone

Nah, we should have tanked. A healthy Horford + any lottery pick would have been the best situation for the team. How can anybody say any different? Hell, fans of other NBA teams would say that would be a great situation for ATL.

Now, people on here are going to be hoping that some miraculous things are going to happen in the draft and free agency that makes this team more than a first/second round exit squad.

Edited by Zone

I actually remember that vividly and is a huge part of my recollection of the Hawks recent era: the crowd buzzing, the JJ step back three, the chants against Boston. I would much rather have those memories than tanking and hoping we get lucky.

Maybe the media doesn't care anymore but as a Hawks fan I still care a lot. It was great seeing the buzz in this city.

WE'VE COME TO FAAAAAAR TO GIVE UPPPPP WHO WE AREEEEEEE

Edited by GameTime

• Moderators

I remain questioning our ability to get the star we need to make the jump. We started the year looking like a second round exit and finished as a first round exit.

Coming into next year - as of today and granting that plenty can happen in between - we look like a second round exit to me. I am not seeing the path to true contender status but hope I will be proved wrong.

• Moderators

Which is why it's much better for the league to now be buzzing about the Hawks nearly eliminating the #1 Pacers in Game 6 without our best player and with a 1st year coach, and still picking 15th, instead of none of that happening and picking 14th.

I like that you use 14th even though it is mathematically impossible that any team in the East could have picked 14th given that the Suns would have had home court in the East and would always be the 14th pick.

It is disingenuous to think we would have tanked last season and finished anywhere close to 14th.

I like that you use 14th even though it is mathematically impossible that any team in the East could have picked 14th given that the Suns would have had home court in the East and would always be the 14th pick.

It is disingenuous to think we would have tanked last season and finished anywhere close to 14th.

14th, 12th, wherever, I'll stick with the showing we had against the #1 seed, without our best player, with a rookie coach, and the heads it turned. Plus the 15th pick. And/or a trade up (8th anyone?) by giving up someone like Shredder. Look where 2 of the last 3 #1s has gotten Cleveland. Tanking? No tanks ;)

Yours genuinely,

Hazer

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

This draft is deep with potential starters. Some are saying there is risk involved with Wiggins ( does not reach his full potential ), Parker ( weight issues ), EmbiId ( obvious back issues ) and Randle ( not a great athlete and bullying college players is easier than bullying NBA players ).

I do like Wiggins and Parker; but after them, pick 15 could be better than pick 6. That is the way most drafts are, deep or not.

I remain questioning our ability to get the star we need to make the jump. We started the year looking like a second round exit and finished as a first round exit.

Coming into next year - as of today and granting that plenty can happen in between - we look like a second round exit to me. I am not seeing the path to true contender status but hope I will be proved wrong.

I remain questioning if tanking will get you a Superstar as well. Look if you get Lebron or Durant the year you tank. Great. The great ones only come every 3/4 years. It is not quite the slam dunk you argue it to be.

• Moderators

I remain questioning if tanking will get you a Superstar as well. Look if you get Lebron or Durant the year you tank. Great. The great ones only come every 3/4 years. It is not quite the slam dunk you argue it to be.

When did I argue it was a slam dunk?

A 40% chance of becoming a contender is better than a 20% chance. Neither is a slam dunk.

A 40% chance of becoming a contender is better than a 20% chance. Neither is a slam dunk.

The Cavs just landed their 3rd #1 in four years. One did not make them a contender; though there is no arguing Kyrie is the real deal. If this one makes it so, what will that be from a chances perspective?

Where are you getting this 40% from? That is way to high. I would guess you have a 15% chance of getting an All-NBA guy in the top 10 of any draft.

why guess? http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-much-is-winning-the-nba-draft-lottery-really-worth/

After winning the draft lottery, a team essentially needs to get lucky three times over in order to have a storybook ending. First, it has to draft the right player. Next, it has to convince him to stay in town. Finally, he has to play up to his new contract. The odds are that something will go wrong. In 1997, the San Antonio Spurs chose Tim Duncan at No. 1 and went on to win four NBA titles with him on the roster. None of the teams to make the first overall pick since has won a championship.
  • Like 4

Getting one all star does not make you a instant contender. I don't see how one draft pick can make you a contender unless it is a Bron, Durant, Shaq, Duncan etc...but to me that is getting a top 75 all time NBA player. Even Garnett was on a horrible team for years.

I do think it takes all-stars to win championships. It just takes a few more than one.

In 1997, the San Antonio Spurs chose Tim Duncan at No. 1 and went on to win four NBA titles with him on the roster. None of the teams to make the first overall pick since has won a championship.

I am not a fan of tanking but that statement astonishes even me. I would have never guessed that!