• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

48th Pick - Lamar Patterson - acquired for future 2nd rounder

NJHAWK

Seriously this is a no joke question....Forget the Danny Green comparisons, leave that to john Jenkins...but is it me or does Lamar Patterson feel like a Kwahi Leonard pick?

-he's 6'5 and 226...put him at SG and he's a bigger SG in the nba with great size

-he was a good but not great defender in college...but the fact that he was a good defender speaks loudly to me! I'm sure he can improve to be a great defender

-he's average in athleticism but he's a very savy & unique scorer and his above average passing ability makes up for his little to no to average athleticism....also you can tell he has a high BBIQ

I know you guys are going to call me crazy but this pick has Budenholzer written all over it in my opinion. He may not be Kwahi but he's special I can tell that right off the back. I'm serious when I say I believe he can compete and be a possible starter by atleast year 2 at SG...bud is going to develop this beast..I don't know him well but my gut is high on him more than any other player we drafted.

I seen him play, he doesn't play like Leonard at all. He does play a lot like Wes Matthews.

Like Danny Green, he is more of a system player but unlike Danny Green, he can become a legit starter. Green is kinda limited to a degree.

• Like 1

I seen him play, he doesn't play like Leonard at all. He does play a lot like Wes Matthews.

Like Danny Green, he is more of a system player but unlike Danny Green, he can become a legit starter. Green is kinda limited to a degree.

Gotcha...I honestly like the Wes Matthews comparison! Only difference is, is that he will be using his talents under a spurs like system so the sky is the limit for him.

By the way I agree with him being a system player...lol the way he plays he looks like he's a system player and I'm completely fine with that! In fact it gives me all the more reason to believe bud had something to do with drafting him just like he had something to do with drafting Kwahi..who many believe is a system player.

Anyways this kid has a legit chance to start and I feel that he's going to get plenty of on court time at SG to prove himself mainly because he's already committed to working hard on defense.

Looks like a possible backup to Korver. I seriously doubt that his defensive potential is "sick" due to his average at best athleticism and only average quickness. 6-5 is OK and the wingspan helps...but the best defensive players use their feet and quickness.

+++

Patterson is a limited athlete who would be at a disadvantage on most nights at the NBA matching up with wings … Is not a very quick player, and would have to work harder to create separation than the average NBA wing … Not going to get nearly the amount of touches he did in college at the next level, will have to adjust to a much more minimal role … Plays below the rim, … Though he is a good defender,

Edited by DJlaysitup

I give this draft an 8 overall.

I absolutely love the direction that this team is going in terms of this year's draft and last year's draft as well.

-Payne can stretch the floor, gives us size and rebounding, athleticism, and defense. I love Millsap and he's a heck of a player, but expect him to be gone after this year. Hopefully we can at least get a 1st rounder in next year's draft for 'Sap.

-Tavares gives us yet another project BIG. Great rim protection, length, rebounding, and effective in the pick and roll. Between him and Nogueira we should have at least 1 legit center. 

-Patterson gives us an all around good shooting guard and small forward if we play small ball (kind of hard too now that we're adding some big folks) who can shoot the ball, has good passing instincts, isn't a selfish player, and plays defense. I really liked Gary Harris and even considered him as one of my favorite Hawks' prospects. With Patterson we're getting a bigger and lengthier Gary Harris in terms of shooting ability and defense except Patterson is also a better passer than Harris. 

I would love to sign Patric Young being that he went undrafted. We still might need help at center assuming that Tavares will be overseas and while Nogueira develops. Young is a big athletic & energetic defender who could come in right away an take up some minutes at C while Nogueira still develops. Goodbye Pero and hello Patric is my wish. Al, the Florida Gator, probably wouldn't mind this move.

I give this draft an 8 overall.

I absolutely love the direction that this team is going in terms of this year's draft and last year's draft as well.

-Payne can stretch the floor, gives us size and rebounding, athleticism, and defense. I love Millsap and he's a heck of a player, but expect him to be gone after this year. Hopefully we can at least get a 1st rounder in next year's draft for 'Sap.

-Tavares gives us yet another project BIG. Great rim protection, length, rebounding, and effective in the pick and roll. Between him and Nogueira we should have at least 1 legit center. 

-Patterson gives us an all around good shooting guard and small forward if we play small ball (kind of hard too now that we're adding some big folks) who can shoot the ball, has good passing instincts, isn't a selfish player, and plays defense. I really liked Gary Harris and even considered him as one of my favorite Hawks' prospects. With Patterson we're getting a bigger and lengthier Gary Harris in terms of shooting ability and defense except Patterson is also a better passer than Harris. 

I would love to sign Patric Young being that he went undrafted. We still might need help at center assuming that Tavares will be overseas and while Nogueira develops. Young is a big athletic & energetic defender who could come in right away an take up some minutes at C while Nogueira still develops. Goodbye Pero and hello Patric is my wish. Al, the Florida Gator, probably wouldn't mind this move.

Ah crap guys, I could've sworn that I posted this in the "Rate Our Draft" thread. My bad lol. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm seeing talk that he needs to lose a few pounds, but to me, if that's the case, he sure hides those pounds well. Wish I knew a Pitt fan who could give some additional scoop b/c I'm very intrigued by this guy. Plenty of shooters in this draft, plenty of defenders in this draft, and a decent share of passers... Patterson brings all three to the table. The complaints seem limited to his age and his lateral quickness, and of those two, only his lateral quickness to me would be a legitimate issue to raise. Can a guy improve in that vein? Maybe shedding a few pounds helps accomplish that, I dunno. But he better not get too quick b/c with that wingspan, he might trip over his own arms... wingspan can compensate in some ways for quickness.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Not defense in college, but projected defense in pros, seemingly based on his lateral quickness. In college, I'm reading he was regarded as a good defender, though not elite.

Not defense in college, but projected defense in pros, seemingly based on his lateral quickness. In college, I'm reading he was regarded as a good defender, though not elite.

We seen Leonard who had decent lateral quickness become a great defender even tho he had huge hands. We seen DMC who was seen as someone who would struggle on D in the NBA become a good NBA defender. You can growth especially in the right system.