• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thoughts on Adreian Payne thus far?

Hawkfan89

I think we're realistically looking at 10 and 5 in 20-25 minutes.

Good enough for me.

I'd be happy with that from a rookie.  Not sure he'll get that many minutes though if the Hawks retain Scott and Moose.

This makes it sound like Muscala is a much better basketball player than Brad Miller was. Miller was very good - a two-time All-Star who had a double-double season and was both a solid rebounder and a highly efficient teen scorer. If Muscala can be 80% the player that Miller was, I will be thrilled.

65% I'm thrilled. Miller and Moose do have something in common. They are both white.

• Moderators

1. Tavares > Bebe

2. I love how much Muscala has improved since the end of the season. He is becoming an assets to be used however Ferry sees fit: Trade or play.

3. Payne seems to have gotten the NBA jitters out of his system and is settling in. I see him being a staple on our bench and giving us 8 & 5 in his rookie season.

4. I have absolutely loved seeing the Tavares/Muscala duo on the floor. Tavares/Payne awesome too. Gonna get me an Edy jersey!

5. Schröder is starting to show flashes of what he can become. I still believe he won't be ready to be a starter til Teague's contract runs out. Those turnover and fouls are killing him being more than a 3rd PG on the bench for next season. If he'd limit those turns and fouls, there would be no reason to retain Shelvin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Like I said when we drafted him. He's a more athletic Anthony Tolliver. Set shooter with no basket movement.

Tolliver is a better than average shooter for a big man. Payne is an elite shooter for a big man with much more athletic ability then Tolliver.

Robert Horry and Rasheed Wallace are much better comparison. Granted Payne will never have the post game that Wallace had but I think he will be better in the paint than Horry.

I really like Payne..........especially for our current system that requires you to have bigs who can shoot. He will fit in very nicely.

For as athletic as he is, I hoped he could take bigs off the dribble. That attempt at driving against joel freeland made me cringe.

That being said, I love his hustle and his smoothness in setting the pick and moving. His shooting is better than I thought.

To me, I see a way more athletic brian cook. He will have a more significant impact tho. I want to see him on the floor with our starters because I know he will play well off of them.

Tolliver is a better than average shooter for a big man. Payne is an elite shooter for a big man with much more athletic ability then Tolliver.

Robert Horry and Rasheed Wallace are much better comparison. Granted Payne will never have the post game that Wallace had but I think he will be better in the paint than Horry.

I really like Payne..........especially for our current system that requires you to have bigs who can shoot. He will fit in very nicely.

never say never
  • Like 1

Payne is far from an elite shooter. He is a big man shooting 40% from the field in summer league. 36% from three is good but not elite. Al Horford is an elite shooter. He shot 56% overall and 36% from three during 29 regular season games.

IMO Payne is doing nothing but standing outside chucking up jumpers. He will not see much time behind Horford, Sap, and Scott at this rate. Very disappointed in the pick.

Payne is far from an elite shooter. He is a big man shooting 40% from the field in summer league. 36% from three is good but not elite. Al Horford is an elite shooter. He shot 56% overall and 36% from three during 29 regular season games.

IMO Payne is doing nothing but standing outside chucking up jumpers. He will not see much time behind Horford, Sap, and Scott at this rate. Very disappointed in the pick.

Are you seriously going to judge him from Summer League play? Why not look at his work in college?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Are you seriously going to judge him from Summer League play? Why not look at his work in college?

If he can shoot over 50% while taking that many jumps shots I will change my tone because if he does that he is elite. In college he was an elite shooter that shot over 50% from the field and over 35 from the 3 pt line but when I watched him in college I saw someone that did not know how to play. He had physical advantages and all he wanted to do was shoot jumpers.

If he can shoot over 50% while taking that many jumps shots I will change my tone because if he does that he is elite. In college he was an elite shooter that shot over 50% from the field and over 35 from the 3 pt line but when I watched him in college I saw someone that did not know how to play. He had physical advantages and all he wanted to do was shoot jumpers.

I didn't watch him in college so I can't vouch for him there, but I have liked what I've seen out of him so far, even if the numbers paint a different picture.

Muscala was in Europe last year and seems to be improving but he has a long way to go. I really think we picked Payne to show AL that we are making an effort to keep him from having to play center all that much - but on the cheap.

I seriously doubt either of these guys will make any kind of real impact on the NBA during their careers - Payne may be a decent role player off the bench if he develops - I have less confidence in Muscala...he seems to be just relatively tall guy who was pretty good in college and is now outclassed. Hope I'm wrong.

Rasheed!! That's a good comparison. I'm hoping he can develop into that type of player. Maybe he can pick up a few post moves to complete his game..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Premium Member

Very disappointed in the pick.

According to your logic, there are a few other disappointing picks

1) Andrew Wiggins 40%

2) Jabari Parker 41%

3) Dante Exum 30%

4) Arron Gordan 35%

5) Zack Lavine 40%

6) Marcus Smart 29%

7) Julius Randle 42%

8) Noah Vonleh 27%

• Like 2

According to your logic, there are a few other disappointing picks

1) Andrew Wiggins 40%

2) Jabari Parker 41%

3) Dante Exum 30%

4) Arron Gordan 35%

5) Zack Lavine 40%

6) Marcus Smart 29%

7) Julius Randle 42%

8) Noah Vonleh 27%

A wing or guard shooting below 50% is expected. 5 of 8 guys on that list are wings or guards.

This is Summer League playing time.  Nothing to worry about or be excited about.  

Wake me up when he isn't playing an organized pickup game at 24 hour fitness.