• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague is still the head of the snake!

JTB

I know our all star horford is coming back and I know Sap is an all star player now but it's very true when I say that Jeff Teague is still the head of the snake on this team.

Teague makes this team go no matter if you like him or not!

What's so damn ironic from this past season is how Teague started and finished the regular season....he started the regular season very strong and finished the regular season very strong. Where he messed up was the majority if not all the middle part of the season!

Take a look at Teagues stats, he played superb in November and April, look for yourself http://m.espn.go.com/nba/playergamelog?playerId=4015&season=2014&month=3

Teague was on the rise in the nba playing aggressive the way he did in November and April carrying that same play into the playoffs.

Teague is back on my good side but I still have small doubts. If he plays unaggressive for the majority season again I don't think it's going to matter if horford is back or not. I think we will have a winning record but by only a few games. Teague HAS to be aggressive and take charge this next season and make that type of play a natural thing for him...if he does not I see him being possibly shipped off early in the season likely around December.

*just a side note, personally for me I don't see ferry trading Teague if Teague actually plays to his all star level potential. I know many fans see ferry trading a lot of our players for a star player but I think ferry is realizing just how damn hard it is to get a star in Atlanta and he won't be too quick to trade certain hawk players.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 2

Dennis is in the croc pot, he is not ready. Jeff is without a doubt the leader of this bunch and I believe he will lead well. Mack in my opinion is starter quality and he will start one day. It is a perfect situation. At the end of Jeff's contract assetts are at the highest with all three starter quality.

Funny that going on right now there is a thread titled "Jeff Teague as Leader of the Hawks" and then this one, "Teague is still the head if the snake." Diesel your inspiration, @JTB ?

Lol always!....@Diesel is my guy

Just wanted to remind hawk fans that Teague is still the most important thing when it comes to how far the team will go weather you view him as a leader or not, or if you are a fan of him or not.

But of course this is my opinion. I don't want to put all the pressure on Teague but we go as far as Jeff leads the hawks, when he's aggressive there's no telling where this team will end up.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Lol always!....@Diesel is my guy

Just wanted to remind hawk fans that Teague is still the most important thing when it comes to how far the team will go weather you view him as a leader or not, or if you are a fan of him or not.

But of course this is my opinion. I don't want to put all the pressure on Teague but we go as far as Jeff leads the hawks, when he's aggressive there's no telling where this team will end up.

CO_Flying.gif

This board in particular is really harsh towards Teague. The only reason this is is because we drafted Dennis and somebody said that he was a clone of Rondo. People haven't watched the stark difference between Teague and Dennis on the floor. Dennis may be traded as pot sweetner in order to get Teague one more player who can make a difference.

Back to Teague. With a healthy Horford, Teague may just be a 9 apg PG... and considered one of the best PGs in the league (mark it down). What you guys will find out is that speed kills and mix that with a good PNR combo and Teague will be the envy of most other teams out there. Let's not even mention what he did to Indiana's award winning defense. They were talking about Indy's defense like they were the 72-10 Bulls. Teague shredded it like toilet paper. And that's with Antić, Lou Williams, and DMC getting significant time on the court.

Yes, he's the head of the snake...AND while he may not get fan support here on Hawksquawk, the League will take notice.

Well see it don't matter what people say about Dennis right now, he's obviously not starting. And while I thought he was going to be atleast the main backup point guard, that isn't so either with the resigning of Mack for 3 years.

I have bashed Teague before on these boards but also have given him much credit. Teague in my opinion is a sure all star player if he plays aggressive the way he did in parts of last season.

He was learning a new offense and he had to go through some growing pains.

I can't wait to see how he plays this next season! 18/8 or 20/7 is not out of question for Teague.

Teague seems to be a guy who needs to know where to pick his spots at on the court. If he isn't comfortable with what is going on on the court, he will likely defer to another teammate. The proof is there from all of last season. When the guys knew the offense and what we were running, Teague was getting guys better shots (which they made, bumping his assist rate up) and he also could pick his own spots and be more aggressive. When Horford went down and the offense changed, it took the team a while to get settled in and know where their respective spots were. Everyone looked bad during that stretch except for Korver on most nights, simply because he can shoot from anywhere on the court. That's why I like seeing that guys are watching film together this offseason, it looks like they'll come into the season ready to play and hopefully stay good throughout the year.

• Moderators

Teague got a lot of criticism last year and he deserved to be called out for playing like crap at times.   But there were many who said that was just who he was and that he sucked and we were fools to believe that he is a good PG.   Those voices have quieted for the most part and I'm glad.   Should be a big year.   

As for Dennis and Mack, we need to get used to having a GM who doesn't care about having too much talent.   That's not something we are used to.   At some point guys get hurt.   At some point talent on the bench gets noticed by other teams who are missing pieces. Having 7 legit nba players on the roster is hopefully a thing of the past for the Hawks.  And that's no exagerration.   Look at Joe's last year as a Hawk:

Teague/Joe/Marvin/Josh/Zaza/Al/Hinrich

7 players who are still productive nba players

For the rest of the roster it's guys who either went out of the league the next year and/or are struggling to stay in it

Pargo/Sloan/Green/Mcgrady/VladRad/Stackhouse/Ivan/Colins/Dampier

I mean that's a seriously weak bench.   I'll take the 3 good point guard problem any day.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Funny that going on right now there is a thread titled "Jeff Teague as Leader of the Hawks" and then this one, "Teague is still the head if the snake." Diesel your inspiration, @JTB ?

Actually, as a Hawks fan, I have sat through good and Bad PG so I can spot'em a mile away.  I remember Rumeal. I Can remember Mookie.  I can remember Enis.  I can remember Matt Marlarky.  I can remember Hinrich.  I can remember good Bibby and Old Bibby.   What we have with Teague is what JTerry never could become.  A PG with Speed that Kills but can also play a good PNR game.  When he does his Tony Parker imitation, he's really close.   A lot of squawker want to down on him because when he got a new coach, learning a new system, and lost the teams best PNR/PNP foward, he went into decline.  I'm not going to hold that against him.. because after he figured out where to find his spots.... after the break, he was one of the best PGs in the league.

• Like 3

Curious what happened in the months between when he had it together. That seems to be very important. Lost Al? Consistency is a hallmark of maturity!

Horford went down and the offensive gameplan changed. It's hard to be consistent when your gameplan changes midseason. What I like to see is once he picked it back up, his play didn't dip.

Is this a "hate" comment towards Teague?

No, I made the comment because people don't understand that a guy averaging 17 and 7 assists over 79 games is a measure of his consistency. This his level of consistency his averages. People act like they don't understand that.

I agree.... JT is running the show. But why give Mack a new contract, and still have Dennis? Too many cooks in the kitchen, doesn't make sense.

How is that too many cooks when they all can play alongside each other if needed. Teague and Mack can play the two with Schröder on the court and Mack or Teague can play the 2 when either one of them are on the court. Plus it adds insurance incase of injuries which is always (sadly) a possibilty in this league. If you want to be deep anywhere it's with your on the floor coaches or head of the snake position. Of course you would like to be deep with big man enforcers too which we have done pretty good at accumilating as well.