• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

Pretty much this. People should stop trying to rationalize it. Was he just reading? Did he laugh afterwards? Was he offended? Doesn't matter. He said it and got punished for it. Perception far exceeds reality here. He already had an albatross on his back. Now he has an iceberg.

Do we still ride the Titanic just 'cause, "oh well he mightve meant it this way, blah, blah"? I just hope this clown doesn't drag Budz down with him ... and little frozen diCaprio.

Agreed about Bud.  Hopefully he survives this because I feel like he's one of the few positive things this team has going for it.

Also I'm out of likes...

Edited by ViperXX79
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Couple Things:

I HIGHLY doubt Levenson leaked this email to sell the team at the expense of ruining his reputation for life. He could've easily cashed out without doing so....see Bucks, Milwaukee/Kings, Sacramento.

All of the "privileges" of being wealthy just went out the door for him because of this....social/business to be specific. Who on earth is doing business with Bruce Levenson now? Good luck.

That being said, I don't think he's racist....just naive and aloof. 

The race thing in Atlanta is a MASSIVE issue within business circles....has been and will be for years....and it works BOTH ways.

Quick story:

A few months back, went to a club here with a group of friends. Main friend that arranged the table frequents said club quite often and is a business acquaintance of the owner who is black. We went on a night that is known to almost all white. My friend brought a black friend that night......around 2am my friend gets a text from the owner saying how in the future that he can't bring any (insert very offensive racial slur that starts with an N here) to the club.

So yeah....business owners stereotyping blacks exists all over Atlanta....black on black...white on black..black on white...you can go ALL DOWN THE LIST. 

When it comes to Ferry, he's also aloof. That being said, I don't think people should be saying those are his thoughts......everything out there says he was reading a scouting report that wasn't created by the Hawks but by another team. For all we know Ferry warned everyone before he read the report that he didn't condone these words but wanted to show transparency. I'm not saying that's what happened but I have to believe there's more to that than we know. 

Wish I had a like to give. lol  But I'm apparently over my like quota for the day.  Those aren't his thoughts and I don't want to come off like I attribute them to Ferry.  BUT, being objective here and using common sense...

Did he not read it beforehand?

Did it not occur to him as he read it that it might be a little insensitive?

Why did he read it?  

Is this a case of Ron Burgundy reading whatever's on the teleprompt?

Read that sentence aloud to yourself and imagine being in a room full of your superiors, as the new boss of an organization looking to you for direction and change.  Any of us would have backtracked there and offered a, "Whoops...hey guys, I was just reading what's on the paper.  I have no idea why he put that in the report."  I'd like to think I'd stop mid-sentence.  I'd also like to think he read the report before briefing the owners.  I would have.

Why can't we just call it like it is?  It doesn't fit the "Just reading what's on the paper" context.  He was comfortable reading it and the fact that Deng has some African heritage means something to our owners and our manager.  From the given context, it's nothing positive.

But forget all that for a moment...does everyone realize that Bruce sent this openly racially charged book TO Danny Ferry?  How do you have that conversation with someone without knowing their views or how they'll respond?  That's a very sticky conversation to be having with your new GM OFF the record.  

I've been corporate for 20 years and have had enough sensitivity/diversity training to write my own book on it.  Best case scenario here is that Ferry just turned a blind eye to a hostile work environment.  The more likely context is that Ferry and Levenson have a comfort level with this conversation and share similar values.  There really isn't a valid line of reasoning otherwise.

He's not CC'd on that Email folks...it was sent TO him.

• Like 3

Seems like Gearon wanted Levenson out ... but Gearon just sealed the fate of ALL of them now ... since the NBA will probably arrange for a new buyer to take control and get rid of the whole dysfunctional group of ASG clowns.  

Nope.

I do find it odd though that Gearon wasn't on the email. Weren't they still supposed to discuss all decisions collectively?

This would be Espn 30 fo 30 movie type stuff if it gets any jucier.

• Premium Member

I do find it odd though that Gearon wasn't on the email. Weren't they still supposed to discuss all decisions collectively?

This would be Espn 30 fo 30 movie type stuff if it gets any jucier.

Not me. It seems he wants to be GM again with all the power. They all need to go.

Hahaha, the A$G do research? Oh man, that's a good one!

I still recall MC ripping the team in an article where he mentioned they were the only team in the NBA that didn't bring security on road trips. And that their scouting department at one time was next to nonexistent.

Lol, crap I'm all out of likes ... I'm so lost without you. That's a song right?

Wish I had a like to give. lol  But I'm apparently over my like quota for the day.  Those aren't his thoughts and I don't want to come off like I attribute them to Ferry.  BUT, being objective here and using common sense...

Did he not read it beforehand?

Did it not occur to him as he read it that it might be a little insensitive?

Why did he read it?  

Is this a case of Ron Burgundy reading whatever's on the teleprompt?

Read that sentence aloud to yourself and imagine being in a room full of your superiors, as the new boss of an organization looking to you for direction and change.  Any of us would have backtracked there and offered a, "Whoops...hey guys, I was just reading what's on the paper.  I have no idea why he put that in the report."  I'd like to think I'd stop mid-sentence.  I'd also like to think he read the report before briefing the owners.  I would have.

Why can't we just call it like it is?  It doesn't fit the "Just reading what's on the paper" context.  He was comfortable reading it and the fact that Deng has some African heritage means something to our owners and our manager.  From the given context, it's nothing positive.

But forget all that for a moment...does everyone realize that Bruce sent this openly racially charged book TO Danny Ferry?  How do you have that conversation with someone without knowing their views or how they'll respond?  That's a very sticky conversation to be having with your new GM OFF the record.  

I've been corporate for 20 years and have had enough sensitivity/diversity training to write my own book on it.  Best case scenario here is that Ferry just turned a blind eye to a hostile work environment.  The more likely context is that Ferry and Levenson have a comfort level with this conversation and share similar values.  There really isn't a valid line of reasoning otherwise.

He's not CC'd on that Email folks...it was sent TO him.

Totally see what you're saying. 

I mentioned he was aloof....I think that's pretty accurate especially given what you said!

• Premium Member

He was comfortable/stupid enough to read those remarks aloud.  I'm sure players will be lining up to play for this man now.  I guess that's who you want in charge but I sure as hell don't.

Well well. Smh.

Pretty much this. People should stop trying to rationalize it. Was he just reading? Did he laugh afterwards? Was he offended? Doesn't matter. He said it and got punished for it. Perception far exceeds reality here. He already had an albatross on his back. Now he has an iceberg.

Do we still ride the Titanic just 'cause, "oh well he mightve meant it this way, blah, blah"? I just hope this clown doesn't drag Budz down with him ... and little frozen diCaprio.

Agreed about Bud.  Hopefully he survives this because I feel like he's one of the few positive things this team has going for it.

Also I'm out of likes...

835057682.gif?1390532960

Seems like Gearon wanted Levenson out ... but Gearon just sealed the fate of ALL of them now ... since the NBA will probably arrange for a new buyer to take control and get rid of the whole dysfunctional group of ASG clowns.  

Just quoting to give a +1 everybody.  I'm completely out of likes today.  People are making way too much sense and some much needed light is being shed on, for me anyway, a confusing Danny Ferry era.  The missing puzzle piece has shown me the method to their madness.

Hard working, blue collar, high character Atlanta Hoosier basketball for good, wholesome, rich, "pure" basketball fans.  Yeah, but what are you REALLY up to A$G?

They are stone cold BUSTED.

"...and I woulda gotten away with it too if it weren't for those meddling kids!"

meddling.png

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 3

LOL, I stand corrected good sir.  Surely...there is a considerable marketing concern for decent Asian ball players.  Is that a true positive context though?

"We get that Chinese kid, we'll more Asian draw for this team."  Is that more acceptable or politically correct than wanting more white draw?  Is that a more pressing concern over what this guy can actually do for the team?  Personally, I wouldn't want Dante Exum because he brings Australian or international marketability and exposure.  As a fan, I want a player because he can ball his ass off and he's a good fit.  

There's nothing inherently wrong or politically incorrect with wanting more draw among demographic groups or seeking out resources to increase interest levels among said groups. It's what advertising is all about. When businesses want more sales, they evaluate demographics and strategize accordingly to accommodate for any bodies that could see improvement. I see no difference in a team hiring a player for marketing purposes and a celebrity being hired to market a product, service, or organization because it has the same effect. This isn't defending Levenson, what he did was stereotype African Americans and viewed them as incompatible with white people.

I agree with you that a player's talent and fit is what should decide his signing, but not all organizations have this mindset. Winning basketball is more important to the Mavericks and their owner as apposed to... well, us and our ownership.

Surely I would want a GM and ownership group making decisions along the same line of thought.  Moreover, in light of our own saga, how does this spin positive context to bringing up Deng's "little African" nationality...?  Especially when you examine the actual reported context around the comment. Unless they were having a conversation about how to make the team more internationally diverse...in which case, why would that comment be so out of place as to cause such a crapstorm?

There is no positive context for our situation, I wasn't trying to imply that. There is no excuse for what was said and I will not defend it. I was simply answering the question you posted as to why the nationality of a free agent might sometimes come into play during free agency. 

The FOX 5 I-Team has new information in the scandal that's rocking the Atlanta Hawks. We have the letter that sparked an internal investigation that ultimately lead to Hawks owner Bruce Levenson announcing he would sell his shares of the team.

FOX 5's Senior I-Team reporter Dale Russell was the only reporter to get a copy of the letter late Monday. It details even more explosive racial attitudes from top team management.

FOX 5 called the Hawks to ask them about the letter, written by owner Michael Gearon, about Hawks General manager Danny Ferry. CEO Steve Koonin quickly responded and said mistakes were made, but they will repair the damage.

The letter quotes Ferry as saying Deng has good points but “he has a little African in him. Not in a bad way, but he's like a guy who would have a nice store out front but sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back.”

Koonin says Ferry was talking from 15-20 different scouting reports on a possible free agent pick up for the Hawks.

“Danny made a terrible mistake, he glosses over all the reports, and indicted an entire continent,” said Koonin.

Koonin says he doesn't agree with anything Ferry did, which is why Ferry has been punished.

Gearon writes that Ferry's comments could be “fatal to the franchise” and were “far worse than [Donald] Sterling because they were not from a private personal conversation, they were in a business environment.”

“There have been significant mistakes here. Hurtful things said here. Ignorant pieces,” said Koonin.

Koonin won't reveal what Ferry's punishment is. Koonin says only he and Ferry know.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/26480768/fox-5-i-team-obtains-letter-that-sparked-atlanta-hawks-racial-investigation