• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

Regardless Ferry is in trouble.  If a new group/principal comes in how do you when the press conference?  Get rid of Ferry and show you are cleaning house.   If the sale doesn't go through quickly you have the remaining who will probably want to cut the rope, because they see you as an anchor to Bruce.  Tough nights in the Ferry household.  

• Moderators

i would think that the comment was intended to be positive about africans and negative about american blacks.  so the comment would be that he isn't a bad guy overall, still has some african in him which makes him a better character player than american blacks.  but he isn't perfect because he has been in the us for a while.  or something like that.

but you'd have to interpret what the phx scout meant, right?

@PSSSHHHRRR87, do you have a link to the "Phoenix" angle? It's a Hawks issue, for sure, but I'm not sure why the Suns aren't getting dragged into this morass a bit if they're the ones paying for this kind of "intel"... nevermind why Danny would be relying on it.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Moderators

@PSSSHHHRRR87, do you have a link to the "Phoenix" angle? It's a Hawks issue, for sure, but I'm not sure why the Suns aren't getting dragged into this morass a bit if they're the ones paying for this kind of "intel"... nevermind why Danny would be relying on it.

~lw3

I just read that it was written by a Phoenix scout a few pages back in this thread and went with it.  I just I should take my own advice on assuming! lol  Makes sense though since Phoenix did have a ton of interest in Luol this summer.

Civil rights leaders on Monday asked for a meeting with Hawks officials after a team owner disclosed that he wrote a racially charged email theorizing that black fans kept white fans away. The Rev. Markel Hutchins said he and others wanted a chance to discuss what they think is a racist attitude permeating the entire organization. He did not request a meeting before hosting a news conference outside Philips Arena, where the basketball team plays. "Evidently the culture of racism and bigotry that is pervasive and ever-present in the Atlanta Hawks leadership is embarrassing to the city of Atlanta and undermines the very best of Atlanta's history of race relations and being a leader for the nation and the world," Hutchins said. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.NwAysDRK.dpuf

So Ferry didn't know what he was reading? Lol. So he just prints something out and read it to his bosses? Hahaha! I remember, giving group presentations in college and skipping over baseless information written by group members. He'll, I can read halfway through a sentence and decide if I should finish the rest. Come on people.. seriously..

Crazy, right?  At worst he should've prefaced it with a disclaimer STTE, "Now this is what this dude said, not me ...".

I need to apologize to y'all.  I've been wanting Ferry and the A$G gone for years now.  I didn't know it would happen like this.  I never meant to use my powers for evil.

Civil rights leaders on Monday asked for a meeting with Hawks officials after a team owner disclosed that he wrote a racially charged email theorizing that black fans kept white fans away. The Rev. Markel Hutchins said he and others wanted a chance to discuss what they think is a racist attitude permeating the entire organization. He did not request a meeting before hosting a news conference outside Philips Arena, where the basketball team plays. "Evidently the culture of racism and bigotry that is pervasive and ever-present in the Atlanta Hawks leadership is embarrassing to the city of Atlanta and undermines the very best of Atlanta's history of race relations and being a leader for the nation and the world," Hutchins said. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.NwAysDRK.dpuf

As a black dude, it makes me cringe when these "community leaders" use opportunities like this to get attention for themselves.  Nothing wrong with asking for a sitdown with Hawks officials to discuss what's happening, get information to disseminate to those who are confused and maybe offer a different perspective, but to hold a press conference on the arena steps or w/e is just grandstanding.

There are real issues taking place and real instances of racism that go unchecked because there's no spotlight there.  If you have a platform use it to bring attention to those areas, don't use the spotlight (aka media attention on the Hawks) to bring attention to yourself.

I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing.  We might potentially be looking at getting a new owner and GM.  That's exactly the kind of shake up this franchise needs to actually move beyond the mediocrity we've had to endure and will continue to endure with the people in charge at the moment.  This might end up being the best thing to happen for the Hawks in the long run.

And being apart of the news cycle is a good thing too.  Sure they'll point out the negative but it also brings awareness to our team for a potential owner(s) to come in and want to change the culture of this crappy organization and save the team.  It will be a great story if new ownership comes in to Atlanta and does big things to get this franchise into being true competitors for championships.

I don't see how anyone can think the "African" part could of been a compliment or a positive thing.  Look at the sentence.  That remark is prefaced by "But he's not perfect".  The "African" sentence is clearly some kind of knock against Deng and that is disgusting.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Danny Ferry isn't the problem with the Hawks.  It is, has been, and always will be the A$G until the A$G is removed in entirety.  Their true intentions have come to light in this - $$$.  Koonin is the only keeper.

I really hope this isn't going to cost us both Bud and Ferry.  They have good pick ups for us.

This is so racially motivated now that there will be only one solution

that will satisfy some organizations, but not necessarily the NBA or

many of us here:

The Atlanta Hawks must be 100% owned by black owners, have 100%

black players, coaches and all employees.

Note:  This is very tongue in cheek.  Please take it as such!

angel.gif

• Moderators

Crazy, right?  At worst he should've prefaced it with a disclaimer STTE, "Now this is what this dude said, not me ...".

I need to apologize to y'all.  I've been wanting Ferry and the A$G gone for years now.  I didn't know it would happen like this.  I never meant to use my powers for evil.

As a black dude, it makes me cringe when these "community leaders" use opportunities like this to get attention for themselves.  Nothing wrong with asking for a sitdown with Hawks officials to discuss what's happening, get information to disseminate to those who are confused and maybe offer a different perspective, but to hold a press conference on the arena steps or w/e is just grandstanding.

There are real issues taking place and real instances of racism that go unchecked because there's no spotlight there.  If you have a platform use it to bring attention to those areas, don't use the spotlight (aka media attention on the Hawks) to bring attention to yourself.

I won't even get started on Markel Hutchins. I've been done with him ever since the internal SCLC flap when he famously welded the office doors shut. Grandstander Extraordinaire.

~lw3

• Like 2

• Premium Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SduKEG0hMso

DOH!  I did again with the black music that doesn't appeal to white middle class, mid-life Atlantans. {/sarcasm}

I could give damn if they played Pat Boone and Bing Crosby if it resulted in them putting a decent product on the floor.  

Further Review: Memo from a suburban white guy  

062612hawks_JC7.jpg

By Steve Hummer

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

TO: Atlanta Hawks Ownership

CC: Anyone Out There Even Dreaming of Buying Out Bruce Levenson

SUBJECT: Why I Don’t Go To Your Games

Having read a now infamous memo on the reasons the Hawks suffer at the gate, I felt compelled to write one of my own.

True, I don’t go to your games. Not unless I’m working.

Lately, though, I’ve considered about maybe, someday, going to one as a paying customer. It could happen.

Mike Budenholzer seems to be building a coherent system of basketball, something that resembles actual planned movement rather than the usual ants-on-a-sugar-cube approach. Since Josh Smith departed, I’ve caught many games on TV and haven’t thrown my shoe at the set even once.

I’d be a little more likely to go if you respected my ability to appreciate your product. When you try to blow me out of my seat with jet exhausts of music between every basket, it tells me you have more faith in your sound system than your players.

(And, no, the type of music doesn’t matter. I don’t go to a basketball game to be assaulted by either Lil Wayne or Wayne Newton. And, please, Braves and Falcons take note).

I don’t go because, apparently, I was working the day they handed out all the disposable income to the suburban white guys. Contrary to your corporate beliefs, we all don’t wear monocles and top hats.

I don’t go to Hawks games for the same reason I don’t eat truffles and don’t drink 18-year-old single malt. I’d rather pay my water bill.

And when you try to blame my absence on the fact that I am scared off by all the black people in the building, that is the weakest, laziest kind of rationalization. That lets you off the hook for all the years of trotting out a team that has been as compelling as unbuttered grits.

Just win, and I’ll happily sit next to anyone of any origin. Even Icelanders. And we all know how they can be.

No, what most scares me off from Hawks games is the idea of handing my money to fools.

Edited by HawkItus
  • Like 4

I don't see how anyone can think the "African" part could of been a compliment or a positive thing.  Look at the sentence.  That remark is prefaced by "But he's not perfect".  The "African" sentence is clearly some kind of knock against Deng and that is disgusting.

I think what was said needs to be taken in context and nobody has stepped forward to explain what the context was.  It could have been written to mean hard-working, and/or humble.  Also, that tweet isn't the full quote, there's a sentence after it that says, "And I don't say that in a bad way".

But yea, if it was meant to be a disparaging remark then it is not good at all.

I just think everyone is jumping to conclusions and it's too early too really tell what the intent was behind the remarks.

• Moderators

That is how I read it too but I still don't understand it.  When I think basketball stereotypes I certainly don't think "The more Brittish the better.  Thank goodness that guy isn't like Dikembe, Hakeem, etc."  As far as Americans, how can the stereotype be anything but that the best players are African-American?