• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

• Moderators

I have had dreams of Al Horford in a Supersonics jersey... It was a nightmare.  We'll be reduced to the Braves and Falcons if they move... le sigh.

I honestly don't know who my new team would be or if I'd even care about the NBA anymore if the Hawks left Atlanta - not to be Chicken Little or anything...  Prolly the Pistons or Grizz tho.  There would always be a hole in me soul for the Hawks.

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87
  • Like 2

• Moderators

@lw3

I also was under the impression that if insensitive remarks are made at work that you then go to sensitivity training. Firing for a first event is usually not how these things go. I guess that doesn't happen on the internet? Meh, what do I know. It was still a stupid comment about Luol though.

At many jobs, definitely. At some jobs, there's the door.

Still it takes me back to my head-scratcher from about ten page ago, directed at ownership. Was Ferry just too busy with the draft and free agency for them to pull him aside for some in-house disciplinary action? Why is he "going to be disciplined" months later? They could have slapped his wrist back then and then added more punishment later if more dirt got dug up from the investigation.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

African athletes are known for their endurance and Deng played a ton of minutes for the Bulls. That's my best guess for what the African comment meant. I don't understand why that's being brought up, though. Who was in that meeting? 

It was a conference call with the owners and other members of the organization on potential free agents.

If the Hawks leave Atlanta my chances of catching (and passing) lw3 for all-time leader for posts in the chatroom will be shot.

For Dolfan:  If the team does move to Seattle can you transfer the numbers there so I have a fighting chance?  It may work out in my favor...lw3 will likely give up on the NBA if we don't have a team in the ATL..devote himself to work and become a millionaire...I don't care about that sh-stuff.  I can smoke his ass posting in the Seattle Seals chatroom.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

For the folks worried about the Hawks being bought and moved...there's an additional $150-$200 million price tag on top of the club price for moving the team prior to 2018.  Maybe not so much for a multimillionaire multibillionaire and/or a city REALLY starved for an NBA team, but still a big chunk of change to throw away.  

It also needs league approval.  With an arena that's pretty young and modern, this untapped market, and the city of Atlanta being such a cultural hotspot, I doubt the NBA really wants to see our team moved. There would have to be a powerful incentive to do it I think.  International expansion is the only thing I could think of that would affect us like that, but I would think the NBA would just open an overseas/international division expansion first.

In any case, I'm not concerned about us moving any time soon.  I AM concerned though about the effects of prolonged mediocrity.  A continuous stream of playoff ineptitude over the next 3-4 years coupled with a likely tumbling into loserville...that might spell trouble.

*edit for nimbers

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

• Moderators

It was a conference call with the owners and other members of the organization on potential free agents

Really like to know how that went down.   Something should have been done about it on the spot other than the owners huddling and calling Alston Bird.

Just called in to NBARadio.  They had a bunch of dbags calling in talking sh*t about Atlanta and how the team should leave, blah, blah, blah.

Basically educated them that the state of our fanbase is primarily due to the dysfunctional franchise, not the city.  Put our history in LA, CHI, NY, etc. and the fan support would be the same.  It's symptomatic of the obvious, constant poor FA, draft, etc. decisions.

All in all, it's not the city/region, it's the franchise.  They had Sekou on right after me and he basically reiterated what I said.  #suckitSeattle

Wait, aren't I supposed to be at work ...

• Moderators

If the Hawks leave Atlanta my chances of catching (and passing) lw3 for all-time leader for posts in the chatroom will be shot.

For Dolfan:  If the team does move to Seattle can you transfer the numbers there so I have a fighting chance?  It may work out in my favor...lw3 will likely give up on the NBA if we don't have a team in the ATL..devote himself to work and become a millionaire...I don't care about that sh-stuff.  I can smoke his ass posting in the Seattle Seals chatroom.

Knowing how I think, I'm more likely to give up on the ATL without a NBA team in town. Probably move up to Charlotte or some gawdforsaken place.

Back when I had to decide where to go for grad school, and the Sixers were my top team, choosing between my two favorite backup teams from the NBA weighted heavily in my decision-making. Hawks... or Sonics?

I think I chose wisely. Perhaps by default, though.

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

Really like to know how that went down.   Something should have been done about it on the spot other than the owners huddling and calling Alston Bird.

I think it was a Freudian slip personally.  Ferry was reading a scouting report on Luol Deng that was written by a scout for the Phoenix Suns.  So he either didn't read the report entirely before the conference call or he read it, thought it wasn't that bad and wouldn't leave the room, and went ahead and read it in the meeting.  The only one that knows that fact is God and Danny Ferry and you know Ferry won't admit anything.

Please, oh please,  let the new ownership include Tyler  Perry, Arthur Blank, and Steve Koonin.  That is a great core of owners. #WLOC

• Like 1

• Moderators

Actually, that could've been quite a dream. #KD

~lw3

Yeah, imagine if it went Oden, Horford, Durant instead.  You wonder if the Miami years ever happen if Durant was in the Southeast division.  Maybe Dwight & CP3 sign here.  Dwight/Durant/CP3 could have been just one pick away for Atlanta.  Love ya though, Horford.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Knowing how I think, I'm more likely to give up on the ATL without a NBA team in town. Probably move up to Charlotte or some gawdforsaken place.

Back when I had to decide where to go for grad school, and the Sixers were my top team, choosing between my two favorite backup teams from the NBA weighted heavily in my decision-making. Hawks... or Sonics?

I think I chose wisely. Perhaps by default, though.

~lw3

The Hawks are the only pro-sports team I follow.  The Lakers and Braves I follow loosely and I'm not a football fan at all.  If by some tragedy we did lose the Hawks, I'd give up on ATL altogether...not the moving thing, since I don't live there obviously, but as far as trips to the city and sports go...meh.

• Premium Member

So either Ferry is a racist or he's an idiot that was reading out loud a document he didn't pre read and then self edit out that stupid and offensive remark. What the hell does that even mean, he has a little African in him? Seriously?? Some of the most high class NBA players in the league's HISTORY are African players for f***'s sake. And Deng is on that list for classy.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I think it was a Freudian slip personally.  Ferry was reading a scouting report on Luol Deng that was written by a scout for the Phoenix Suns.  So he either didn't read the report entirely before the conference call or he read it, thought it wasn't that bad and wouldn't leave the room, and went ahead and read it in the meeting.  The only one that knows that fact is God and Danny Ferry and you know Ferry won't admit anything.

Please, oh please,  let the new ownership include Tyler  Perry, Arthur Blank, and Steve Koonin.  That is a great core of owners. #WLOC

I REALLY want to know what word caused such a shitstorm.  Couldn't have been something as casual as "the African" or "the Brit."

• Moderators

The Hawks are the only pro-sports team I follow.  The Lakers and Braves I follow loosely and I'm not a football fan at all.  If by some tragedy we did lose the Hawks, I'd give up on ATL altogether...not the moving thing, since I don't live there obviously, but as far as trips to the city and sports go...meh.

I'd have to become a Pistons fan.  At least I'd get the feeling of being a Hawks fan having Josh Smith jacking up long 2's on the court.

The script you get when you click on Bruce Levenson's bio on Hawks.com:

untitled-1.gif

http://www.nba.com/hawks/staff/bruce-levenson-bio

LMAO I was just on that page earlier trying to find out where Levenson was from after some dastardly fellow tried to include him amongst us fine Northern gentlemen.  A tad funny that the Hawks are trully cleaning house, heck I think Woody's bio is still listed on there.

• Like 1