• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

• Moderators

So either Ferry is a racist or he's an idiot that was reading out loud a document he didn't pre read and then self edit out that stupid and offensive remark. What the hell does that even mean, he has a little African in him? Seriously?? Some of the most high class NBA players in the league's HISTORY are African players for f***'s sake. And Deng is on that list for classy.

I think it's a reference to athleticism and endurance.  Blacks are stereotypically more athletic than other races.  They were probably speaking on his age and his minutes played in Chicago.  I agree though, don't say "some African" to describe athleticism/endurance, say "gas left in the tank" if you must use jargon.  Best case would be just to use athleticism or endurance... #StopMakingYourselfLookStupidASG

I have had dreams of Al Horford in a Supersonics jersey... It was a nightmare.  We'll be reduced to the Braves and Falcons if they move... le sigh.

I honestly don't know who my new team would be or if I'd even care about the NBA anymore if the Hawks left Atlanta - not to be Chicken Little or anything...  Prolly the Pistons or Grizz tho.  There would always be a hole in me soul for the Hawks.

If the Hawks ever moved, I'm front running baby.  Give me the team with the best title chances ftw!

• Like 1

Wow Ferry. This is worse than what Levenson said.

• Moderators

I REALLY want to know what word caused such a shitstorm.  Couldn't have been something as casual as "the African" or "the Brit."

It doesn't take much for this political correct society to get butthurt.  When you step back from the tree and view the whole forest, and think about what actually was said by Levenson in that email and Ferry in that conference call, it really isn't that bad.  It's definitely ugly, but it isn't bad... Levenson was speaking on demographics and Ferry was just reading a piece of paper...  They aren't racists.  Just careless idiots.

• Like 1

It doesn't take much for this political correct society to get butthurt.  When you step back from the tree and view the whole forest, and think about what actually was said by Levenson in that email and Ferry in that conference call, it really isn't that bad.  It's definitely ugly, but it isn't bad... Levenson was speaking on demographics and Ferry was just reading a piece of paper...  They aren't racists.  Just careless idiots.

in your opinion.  On the other side the more I look at it the worse it makes me feel.  Just because you don't mind a little bigotry at best doesn't make it ok.  

I think it's a reference to athleticism and endurance.  Blacks are stereotypically more athletic than other races.  They were probably speaking on his age and his minutes played in Chicago.  I agree though, don't say "some African" to describe athleticism/endurance, say "gas left in the tank" if you must use jargon.  Best case would be just to use athleticism or endurance... #StopMakingYourselfLookStupidASG

You could be right.  He could also mean his guard skills aren't great.  He could mean it's a lack of intelligence.  The point is we don't know and it's being left up to our interpretations.  That not a position someone like Ferry should ever put himself or the franchise in.

This just isn't a good look for us at all.  They need to truly get in front of this and I don't just mean Koonin speaking.  Ferry needs to speak on this.  Now, you might say, "What's the big deal.  He didn't mean anything harmful, etc." and I'd agree with you.  However, we have a poor perception as is.

Ducking our heads in the sand of "we disciplined Ferry privately and he's still GM" isn't good enough.  If it wasn't meant to be offensive, why discipline him at all?  Just call a press conference and explain what it meant.  Shrouding him in secrecy escalates the problem far beyond what it has to be.

Edited by kg01

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11488473/civil-rights-leaders-ask-meet-atlanta-hawks

No no no!  Here come the vultures.  Thanks Bruce! 

Nah, it's "thanks" to the A$G.  This is low-hanging fruit for everyone.  Atlanta's the "city too busy to hate"?  What is this 1983?  Sigh.  Just wait for all the typical Atlanta-related articles to come outta the woodwork.

• Moderators

in your opinion.  On the other side the more I look at it the worse it makes me feel.  Just because you don't mind a little bigotry at best doesn't make it ok.  

Didn't say it was okay.  Just that it isn't the same shit storm that the Donald Sterling situation was.  The intent wasn't to show hatred towards a race like Sterling.  The intent was to speak on demographics and free agents.  They should not of spoken of blacks in that manner because it does undermine the entire race and culture, but to act like Sterling's remarks equals Levenson/Ferry's remarks isn't fair.  Levenson and Ferry should not be demonized for this.  They should be reprimanded and then forgotten about.

Man, this could get bad bad bad in a hurry. As if this franchise had trouble attracting fans to the arena already.

And BTW, if they ever moved, it would be the last time I'd be seen discussing the NBA; EVER. The Atlanta Hawks are the only NBA team I ever care to know and I've faithfully followed them for over 35 years. Through the cocaine years with Eddie Johnson and John Drew. Through the Nique years and watching him get traded from the very last good team he ever played on. Through Cliff Levingston's left handed hook and the Game 7 duel. Through Koncak, Alan Henderson, Ken Norman, and Chris Crawford. Through Marvin Williams and Josh Childress. Through BK and WLOC. If this is the payback I end up getting for that, I'll never invest in another NBA franchise... 

• Like 1

• Moderators

And lets not forget that this is more than likely a ploy by Levenson to make money and get out of the ASG ownership.  He turned himself in intentional to make money.  So what if he is labeled a racist for the short-term, a year in Cabo and after everyone forgets about him, he'll still be a multimillionaire.  Really, this shows how little our ownership actually does care about the team and the fans.  It's about the money and it will always be about the money.

• Like 1

i would think that the comment was intended to be positive about africans and negative about american blacks.  so the comment would be that he isn't a bad guy overall, still has some african in him which makes him a better character player than american blacks.  but he isn't perfect because he has been in the us for a while.  or something like that.

but you'd have to interpret what the phx scout meant, right?

And lets not forget that this is more than likely a ploy by Levenson to make money and get out of the ASG ownership.  He turned himself in intentional to make money.  So what if he is labeled a racist for the short-term, a year in Cabo and after everyone forgets about him, he'll still be a multimillionaire.  Really, this shows how little our ownership actually does care about the team and the fans.  It's about the money and it will always be about the money.

That's what I thought until the details on why the email became public ... became public.  Another owner started it all so I'd say it's more likely the opposing ownership group used Ferry's comment as a means for starting trouble for the Washington-based group (the group which selected Ferry, thus relegating Gearon).

Now I do agree that him giving up so easily is motivated by money.

I think it's a reference to athleticism and endurance. Blacks are stereotypically more athletic than other races. They were probably speaking on his age and his minutes played in Chicago. I agree though, don't say "some African" to describe athleticism/endurance, say "gas left in the tank" if you must use jargon. Best case would be just to use athleticism or endurance... #StopMakingYourselfLookStupidASG

Then say that. Say what you mean and mean what you say!

#commonsense