• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Just WOW! (Levenson will sell Hawks)

Jody23

I think it's pretty easy to say Ferry did something stupid with only limited details.

1) He was reading something written by another person. We don't know the manner in which he shared that information or if he even agreed with it.

2) He wasn't addressing the public or talking to a reporter. I'm sure he was more concerned with sharing all of the information available when discussing a multi-million dollar acquisition than being PC behind closed doors. 

3) We don't even know what it means. The sentence before and the sentence after seem to contradict each other. It could have been meant as a compliment or a criticism. And if it is a criticism, is that really any different than people saying Americans lack fundamentals or Europeans are soft? 

So, no, I don't think there's enough information to call him stupid.

• Like 1

1) He was reading something written by another person. We don't know the manner in which he shared that information or if he even agreed with it.

2) He wasn't addressing the public or talking to a reporter. I'm sure he was more concerned with sharing all of the information available when discussing a multi-million dollar acquisition than being PC behind closed doors. 

3) We don't even know what it means. The sentence before and the sentence after seem to contradict each other. It could have been meant as a compliment or a criticism. And if it is a criticism, is that really any different than people saying Americans lack fundamentals or Europeans are soft? 

So, no, I don't think there's enough information to call him stupid.

I honestly can't believe you are defending this.  Whether is was a compliment or a criticism it's still racist.  Maybe you're comfortable with those in charge making racially charged remarks but I and everyone else don't seem to think it's ok.  He's being officially punished.  Do you think they just punish people for no reason?  He did something stupid and I for one wouldn't mind showing him the door.  Why would a FA want to come here when the GM is known to use this kind of rhetoric.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

If you don't think Jeremy Lin's nationality and marketability come into effect during his free agent negotiations, you're lying to yourself. 

LOL, I stand corrected good sir.  Surely...there is a considerable marketing concern for decent Asian ball players.  Is that a true positive context though?

"We get that Chinese kid, we'll more Asian draw for this team."  Is that more acceptable or politically correct than wanting more white draw?  Is that a more pressing concern over what this guy can actually do for the team?  Personally, I wouldn't want Dante Exum because he brings Australian or international marketability and exposure.  As a fan, I want a player because he can ball his ass off and he's a good fit.  

Surely I would want a GM and ownership group making decisions along the same line of thought.  Moreover, in light of our own saga, how does this spin positive context to bringing up Deng's "little African" nationality...?  Especially when you examine the actual reported context around the comment.  Unless they were having a conversation about how to make the team more internationally diverse...in which case, why would that comment be so out of place as to cause such a crapstorm?

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

Does Derrick Coleman know something that we don't?

I honestly can't believe you are defending this.  Whether is was a compliment or a criticism it's still racist.  Maybe you're comfortable with those in charge making racially charged remarks but I and everyone else don't seem to think it's ok.  He's being officially punished.  Do you think they just punish people for no reason?  He did something stupid and I for one wouldn't mind showing him the door.  Why would a FA want to come here when the GM is known to use this kind of rhetoric.

Again, Ferry didn't make a racially-charged remark. He read or repeated something another man said. And people get "punished" for appearing to do something wrong all the time. Political correctness is the name of the game. It's a smarter business decision to say he made a mistake and it won't happen again than to fight it. 

I'm not saying that's the case, but it's ridiculous to say Ferry should be fired based on what we know. 

Couple Things:

I HIGHLY doubt Levenson leaked this email to sell the team at the expense of ruining his reputation for life. He could've easily cashed out without doing so....see Bucks, Milwaukee/Kings, Sacramento.

All of the "privileges" of being wealthy just went out the door for him because of this....social/business to be specific. Who on earth is doing business with Bruce Levenson now? Good luck.

That being said, I don't think he's racist....just naive and aloof. 

The race thing in Atlanta is a MASSIVE issue within business circles....has been and will be for years....and it works BOTH ways.

Quick story:

A few months back, went to a club here with a group of friends. Main friend that arranged the table frequents said club quite often and is a business acquaintance of the owner who is black. We went on a night that is known to almost all white. My friend brought a black friend that night......around 2am my friend gets a text from the owner saying how in the future that he can't bring any (insert very offensive racial slur that starts with an N here) to the club.

So yeah....business owners stereotyping blacks exists all over Atlanta....black on black...white on black..black on white...you can go ALL DOWN THE LIST. 

When it comes to Ferry, he's also aloof. That being said, I don't think people should be saying those are his thoughts......everything out there says he was reading a scouting report that wasn't created by the Hawks but by another team. For all we know Ferry warned everyone before he read the report that he didn't condone these words but wanted to show transparency. I'm not saying that's what happened but I have to believe there's more to that than we know. 

Again, Ferry didn't make a racially-charged remark. He read or repeated something another man said. And people get "punished" for appearing to do something wrong all the time. Political correctness is the name of the game. It's a smarter business decision to say he made a mistake and it won't happen again than to fight it. 

I'm not saying that's the case, but it's ridiculous to say Ferry should be fired based on what we know. 

He was comfortable/stupid enough to read those remarks aloud.  I'm sure players will be lining up to play for this man now.  I guess that's who you want in charge but I sure as hell don't.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Whatever your thoughts may be, the Hawks aren't serious about winning if they don't give meaningful thought to how Ferry affects how they are now perceived by players around the league and their ability to sign free agents in the future.

• Like 4

Whatever your thoughts may be, the Hawks aren't serious about winning if they don't give meaningful thought to how Ferry affects how they are now perceived by players around the league and their ability to sign free agents in the future.

Imagine if we signed Deng before all of this happened lol

What a mess.

• Like 2

He was comfortable/stupid enough to read those remarks aloud.  I'm sure players will be lining up to play for this man now.  I guess that's who you want in charge but I sure as hell don't.

Pretty much this. People should stop trying to rationalize it. Was he just reading? Did he laugh afterwards? Was he offended? Doesn't matter. He said it and got punished for it. Perception far exceeds reality here. He already had an albatross on his back. Now he has an iceberg.

Do we still ride the Titanic just 'cause, "oh well he mightve meant it this way, blah, blah"? I just hope this clown doesn't drag Budz down with him ... and little frozen diCaprio.