• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Eating Crow

benhillboy

What are we missing? I said Calvin is the best, no need to keep stating that. The point that I'm trying to make is that the gap isn't as great as you say. His physical stature is very unique at 6'5 236....Julio is 6'3 225. Calvin ran a 4.35 in his 40...Julio ran a 4.39 with a foot issue. Calvin didn't lift or jump at his combine so I can't compare that but I think you get the point.

The numbers aren't comparable bc of you look at Calvin's early years he was doing exactly what Julio is doing but he didn't have to share targets with so many people. Calvin is great don't get me wrong but it's not Calvin and then everybody else, there are some really gifted guys out there right now

He didnt share targets, but he has yet to play with anyone respectable enough to take pressure off him like Julio has. Look at the catches Calvin makes. Julio can make things happen after he gets the ball no doubt, but my goodness Megatron makes mind blowing plays. Imagine combining AJ Green and Julio Jones, but bigger and faster.

The gap is that large. Megatron is clearly the best. Then you've got your 2nd tier of Julio and AJ and Fitzgerald and Bryant and the like. Julio may be at the top of that group but that group aren't in Megatrons league.

Plus dont forget the lack of weapons around him, the constant double teams and Stafford always being hurt. Ask @Spud2Nique about the Lions issues there as for some reason he's a fan of that team.

The gap is that large. Megatron is clearly the best. Then you've got your 2nd tier of Julio and AJ and Fitzgerald and Bryant and the like. Julio may be at the top of that group but that group aren't in Megatrons league.

Plus dont forget the lack of weapons around him, the constant double teams and Stafford always being hurt. Ask @Spud2Nique about the Lions issues there as for some reason he's a fan of that team.

Yup..been a fan of Lions since 89...picked the player(Barry) and not the team. Been frustrated for about a quarter century now.

Yes, Stafford always seems to get hurt and Calvin see's way too many doubles. I'm not sure what the NY Giants were doing last week though, they weren't giving enough respect to Calvin. The first TD was ridiculous as the Giant corner and safety ran into each other like a three stooges act. Lol.

In any event, I think Calvin might start seeing triple teams. Teams will make someone other than Calvin beat us, Tate, Bush, etc.

It's funny but we had arguably the a top 3 running back in the history of the NFL and by the time Calvin is done arguably a top 3 wideout. This far with no team success to show for it.

As a Hawks/Lions/Braves fan you can understand how $hitty my childhood/young adult/adult fan hood years have been. Lol

Was interesting they had a brief blurb from Dre Kirkpatrick, former teammate of Julio's at Bama. He said that if you get physical with Julio, he'll lose his focus and spend the rest of the practice / game trying to get back at t he DB. I'm sure Julio has matured since then but that's gonna be interesting to see how the Bungles play him today. 

Calvin is definitely the best today but has a ton of work to do before he can catch up with Jerry Rice for best All-Time.

I dont think so. Jerry Rice played for like 20 years, so I dont think their career numbers will compare. However, I didnt get to see young Jerry, but man I just have a hard time believing their was ever a receiver as good as Calvin. Other than injuries, he has NO weaknesses.

• Moderators

After his rookie year, the next time Rice had less than 1000 yards receiving was when he was 37 years old.  Sustained excellence is nothing to sneeze at. (Both were at risk in their 3rd seasons.  CJ played 14 games that year and failed to reach 1000 unlike when Rice still passed 1000 yards in only 12 games).  Rice totalled more yards and averaged more yards per reception* in a league that wasn't as passing oriented as it is today.  CJ has caught 5 or fewer TDs in 3 seasons to date.  The first time Rice failed to catch 5 TD's over a full season after his rookie season was at age 37.  

The real test will be the next decade for CJ.  He is 13,000 receiving yards and 130 touchdowns behind Rice as of today so he will have to do about 150% of his career yards to date and 200% of his career touchdowns to date if he wants to catch up.  He is playing in the right era to do so.  His Lions teams have averaged about 20% more passing attempts per season than the 49ers did due to the greater prominence of the run game in the 80's and 90's.  He should have every chance to pass Rice by volume alone if he can step up his performance and then sustain it for the next decade.

* = To the same point in their careers.  Rice's yards per reception declined in his 30's.

Edited by AHF

• Moderators

On a less stat oriented note, I am glad to hear you say you didn't see a young Jerry because I would be surprised if you had seen him and still thought Calvin was heads and shoulders above Rice.  That guy killed the Falcons over the years at a time when the 49ers were the Falcons biggest rival (although the Falcons were not the 49ers biggest rival).

Lets not fail to mention the 49ers were loaded on both sides of the ball, had arguably the best QB of all-time and the west coast offense was brand new to the NFL and teams had no idea how to stop it. Jerry could run those slants all game long, Montana would hit him in stride and he'd keep running, piling up YAC. Jerry rarely ever saw a double team and Calvin is routinely doubled, sometimes even tripled. 

They're 2 totally different WR's playing for totally different teams in different eras. They really can't be compared. 

Growing up in the Bay Area, I saw the young Jerry Rice. Rice is the GOAT. Calvin has a chance but he needs to play at the level that he's playing for another 5-7 years I would imagine. Niners had a dream team. If Jerry got doubled, John Taylor would make them pay. They had an awesome running game too with Roger Craig and Tom Rathman. Not to mention Joe Montana (top 3 ever). Their defense was crazy too with Ronni Lott leading the way. Honestly it's hard to compare the two, but as a die hard Lions fan, we are still looking up to the GOAT, at least for the time being.

Ps I worked out next to Roger Craig :-) ( well he was training his daughter who was a track star, helping her with squats)

Also met Ronnie Lott at a gas station, nicest guy.(dude had his finger amputated during a game and still finished the game...how's that for old school athletes)

And met Steve Young at San Jose airport.( can't believe the Tampa Bay Bucs didn't keep him, I'd say prolly the biggest mistake ever for that franchise). Although who knows, maybe it was the Niners system that made Young so good. He is also a lawyer.

On a less stat oriented note, I am glad to hear you say you didn't see a young Jerry because I would be surprised if you had seen him and still thought Calvin was heads and shoulders above Rice. That guy killed the Falcons over the years at a time when the 49ers were the Falcons biggest rival (although the Falcons were not the 49ers biggest rival).

Niners steam rolled everyone. I'd say the NY Giants with LT, Carl Banks n co. presented the biggest challenge to the niners. They had Phil Simms at QB with Hostetler as a backup QB and a dynamic returner and runner in Dave Meggett. I almost became a Giants fan. The next closest team were the LA Rams coached by John Robinson. They had eric Dickerson, Henry Ellard and Flipper Anderson. Good team there although they also routinely seem to lose to the Niners. I put the blame on Chris Everett, I mean JIM...JIM Everett...:-/ I'm not making the same mistake Rome did ..haha..ps almost became a Rams fan because after TD's Henry Ellard would do a full backflip ...I really enjoyed that. I was confused tho as to by Flipper Anderson didnt do the flips... To this day it's still a mystery. Glad I waited and became a Lions fan.( in green font)...:-( If I was a NY giants fan I would have had 3 rings (91, and the two Eli got) and if I was a Rams fan I would have carried it over to St. Louis and win one with Warner, Faulk, Bruce, Holt and the greatest show on turf boys...but now I have to depend of donkey kong Suh- Cam Newton...

Edited by Spud2Nique

I purposely waited until after this game to respond....don't think there's much I need to say to prove my point. No roddy white, no tony Gonzalez, all the coverage shaded to Julio and he gets 161 and 2 tds in basically 2 quarters. If this was a close game Julio would've had 300 yards. I will give Calvin the edge but it's not big at all like I said

What happened to the thumbs up and thumbs down buttons?   You'd be getting a bigthumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

I didn't watch the game last night so I can't even comment on anything except the score got out of hand. Those kinds of wins are fun, as long as they don't start having you thinking you're better than you are. A lot can change in a week and the Bucs aren't a good team on either side of the ball. But the Falcons are a good team and if they stay healthy should have a good season. 

• Moderators

I didn't watch the game last night so I can't even comment on anything except the score got out of hand. Those kinds of wins are fun, as long as they don't start having you thinking you're better than you are. A lot can change in a week and the Bucs aren't a good team on either side of the ball. But the Falcons are a good team and if they stay healthy should have a good season. 

Based on last night I predict the Falcons run the table.

• Like 1

I'm guessing Falcons go 11-5 based on their schedule. Losses will include:

Nov. 16@ Panthers

Dec. 8@ GB

Dec.21@ NO

Dec. 28 vs. Panthers

And I hope Oct.16 vs. Lions :-) in London. It's considered a home game for the Falcons and a roadie for the Lions. Should be a fun one. So if you actually lose this and those other 4 and the one you already have then that leaves you at 10-6. The Falcons have a pretty tough division with the Panthers and Saints. Saints will go streaking by the way starting this Sunday. I have a feeling the Saints are going to beat the Vikings by 20+ points.