• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Unprecedented Owner Conflict

AHF

• Premium Member

Well I've said it before when certain posters kept mentioning that Ferry is motivated only by making moves to keep his job.....

When have you ever known the ASG to fire anyone yet alone someone with 4 guaranteed years left on his contract?

Now I know that Levenson is on Danny's side but some seem to be a little surprised by Koonin.  I think he looked at Danny's original comment, took offense but recognized that it wasn't a fireable enough offense by itself even with the urgings of Gearon....mainly because he saw the litigious circles that Sterling was jumping through despite his long and storied history of racial insensitivity and felt he didn't have enough legal ammo to void Ferry's deal.  Being a worker for the ASG he certainly didn't want to be paying a guy good money to sit at home either so I guess he gave Gearon his blessing on his investigation to find more evidence with the only problem being that Gearon came back with the wrong target instead of the one that started his whole vendetta.

So here we have Gearon trying to publicly shame his partner so that he can return to being the mouthpiece of the franchise, a role he lost after being repeatedly publicly shamed.  Levenson knows he's f***ed because he can't fight this battle in the court of public opinion especially in a post Sterling world and Koonin is miserable as hell because he doesn't have enough to fire Ferry yet will likely have to end up doing so anyway to appeal public sentiments.  What a mess.

This is the hit that met the nail head.  I think that our ownership has been in disagreement and that now that it's public, we shall see fallout.  The question is how much fall out?  Right now, there's just no protecting Ferry.  His position is not one where he can stereotype free agents... even in just.

Silver is going to determine how much fallout is needed and he will prolly let Gearon Jr. Stay ....  BUT there is precedent for him to demand that the current owners sell the team.  Post Sterling, the ASG has embarrassed the league and this may be Silver's chance to bring respectability to the franchise.

You said that like we are a desitiation for top tier FA?

Im glad Ferry isnt fired and our CEO is taking control making sound leadership decisions instead of doing what people want him to do.

Really now? Let's just maintain the course, although now it'll be even harder to get free agents...

This post wreaks of just continuing to me a crappy first round team

• Like 1

As I said in another thread....we are cursed. You also forgot to mention, AHF, those same owners telling Thrasher fans the team was never going to be sold...and then they sold it.

I said this after the Thrashers were sold, and everyone just said hockey couldn't succeed here and nkw ASG could focus on the Hawks. And here we are.

Edited by Bahamut
  • Like 1

• Moderators

IF this were in the D-Stern Era... if there was good owners in Seattle, St. Louis, Cinncy, or Kansas City... we would have been sold by now.

The Sterling era was on Stern's watch so I'm not sure this isn't swept under the rug in 1995.

• Moderators

Gearon is back where he wants to be as managing partner and he has called for Ferry's head in the past. It is unlikely the turmoil is done with. I hope someone convinces all the ASG to sell off but am not counting on it. We've already had that rug yanked out from us once before.

Gearon is back where he wants to be as managing partner and he has called for Ferry's head in the past. It is unlikely the turmoil is done with. I hope someone convinces all the ASG to sell off but am not counting on it. We've already had that rug yanked out from us once before.

Gearon isn't managing partner....nor will he get that title back. No chance.

• Premium Member

I am very ready for the Hawks to get new owners, but my fear is that it will cost us Budz and like him or not, Ferry as well. I think losing either would be terrible for us and losing both would set us back years. 

But the ASG have got to go. 

I wanna keep Bud but Ferry and the rest can kick cans imo

• Like 1

• Moderators

Is anyone writing a nonfiction book on these guys? I doubt Tom Wolfe could make up a fictional novel with more twists, turns, and knots than a tell-all book on this whole crew. The A$G's arena can't sell out, but the book sure would. I think it would rival Barbarians at the Gate as a business book classic.

~lw3

Is anyone writing a nonfiction book on these guys? I doubt Tom Wolfe could make up a fictional novel with more twists, turns, and knots than a tell-all book on this whole crew. The A$G's arena can't sell out, but the book sure would. I think it would rival Barbarians at the Gate as a business book classic.

~lw3

I'm telling you if we were any higher on the totem pole in terms of interesting franchises I'd say we were sitting through the next 30 for 30 movie.

• Moderators

It just keeps coming back to me as to how dysfunctional this group is.  Belkin, Levenson, Gearon...just epic levels of incompetence and infighting.  There is nothing we need so much as new ownership.  I am going to be seriously depressed if this team ends up in Gearon's hands. 

• Like 1

Worse thing is that Gearon won't only take control but portray himself as a hero. In his first press conference he'll probably stand up there with some reverend or personal "life coach", all teary eyed, and talk about how difficult a decision it was for him between doing what was right and exposing people he considered to be friends.

You know, rather than just state that he was an opportunist that saw this as his ticket back into the spotlight.

• Like 1