It is no longer a guessing game.

Diesel

• Premium Member

NOW that the tape has been played.... I think we have enough context.  I don't think that Ferry was reading from a  sheet when he spoke, I think he measured his words, choose his words and made the statement that at the time somebody knew was inflammatory. 

Ferry should be fired because I don't think he has the capacity to recruit good players any longer. I don't know if we will be able to keep many of our own players anymore.

I was not only amazed at how Ferry talked about Deng as being a little African..etc..  I think some of the other things he said about Deng's Character will put a lot of pause in a lot of Free agents. 

What does he mean "High Character Guys" was my original question... We still are not sure.  But for now... I think Ferry loses because not only did he use the racially incentive statement about Deng.. but it also seems that he lied about using it.

Today, the water is mighty bloody.  I see those who were once swimming out to save Ferry getting back in their boats and rowing away. The new question is "Is Ferry a High Charcter Guy?"

you know whats funny - no other NBA team has come forward and weighed in  at all ?? Is it possible that comments or stereotypes like these are made on a regular basis behind closed doors ??

I think the fact that there isnt an outcry from players, coaches or other team owners bodes well for Ferry , but as much as I like Ferry if it does rise to  the outcry lvl he will step down . Right now  with Silver basically punting and the support he has in the NBA theres at least an even chance he stays - BUT if he goes , with ownership split as it is , how do we find another good gm  and even more importantly wh would want the job ??

you know whats funny - no other NBA team has come forward and weighed in at all ?? Is it possible that comments or stereotypes like these are made on a regular basis behind closed doors ??

I think the fact that there isnt an outcry from players, coaches or other team owners bodes well for Ferry , but as much as I like Ferry if it does rise to the outcry lvl he will step down . Right now with Silver basically punting and the support he has in the NBA theres at least an even chance he stays - BUT if he goes , with ownership split as it is , how do we find another good gm and even more importantly wh would want the job ??

And how do we find another elite franchise-changing coach once Bud runs as fast he can from the ASG.

The video sounds very scrambled to me and I dont see how any one can determine for certain that Ferry wasnt reading off a report. I'm going to wait and see if the report is leaked before I start making assumptions. Too bad others cant do the same.

• Premium Member

you know whats funny - no other NBA team has come forward and weighed in  at all ?? Is it possible that comments or stereotypes like these are made on a regular basis behind closed doors ??

I think the fact that there isnt an outcry from players, coaches or other team owners bodes well for Ferry , but as much as I like Ferry if it does rise to  the outcry lvl he will step down . Right now  with Silver basically punting and the support he has in the NBA theres at least an even chance he stays - BUT if he goes , with ownership split as it is , how do we find another good gm  and even more importantly wh would want the job ??

I think we fans of the Hawks are incubated from the outside.

• Premium Member

And how do we find another elite franchise-changing coach once Bud runs as fast he can from the ASG.

The video sounds very scrambled to me and I dont see how any one can determine for certain that Ferry wasnt reading off a report. I'm going to wait and see if the report is leaked before I start making assumptions. Too bad others cant do the same.

Dude.  Ferry on Deng... Makes the case that Deng is two faced and then backed it up with several analogies.

He measured his words.  Even after Gearon Jr. said something about this being like Sterling on TMZ, Ferry didn't stop with his assault.  He wasn't reading from a scouting report when he said that Melo can shoot the shit out of the ball but he can hurt you in other ways...

I think Ferry took what he had read in scouting reports and heard in other conversations and just shot from the hip in this conference call.    Not read off a report...

Dude.  Ferry on Deng... Makes the case that Deng is two faced and then backed it up with several analogies.

He measured his words.  Even after Gearon Jr. said something about this being like Sterling on TMZ, Ferry didn't stop with his assault.  He wasn't reading from a scouting report when he said that Melo can shoot the shit out of the ball but he can hurt you in other ways...

I think Ferry took what he had read in scouting reports and heard in other conversations and just shot from the hip in this conference call.    Not read off a report...

See I like that approach much better.  You say "I think" instead of "I know" because you really don't know for certain.  Whatever happened to due process in this country?  Every one wants to be the first guy to destroy some one as soon as they are seen to be weak in the public eye.  This trend and attitude is quite disgraceful, if you ask me, and I want no part of it. 

I will allow due process to run it's course before making an absolute judgment.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 2

• Moderators

I don't think Ferry could hear Gearon and Gearon laughing is pretty disgusting considering he blew this thing up because he was so offended.     This is a clusterfk

Edited by macdaddy
  • Like 1

Yes I would be willing to bet that Gearon's phone line was on mute during the call so no one could hear his remarks and laughter.   As I have been thousands of conference and it is almost routine for callers to put themselves on mute during the call until they want to speak.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yes I would be willing to bet that Gearon's phone line was on mute during the call so no one could hear his remarks and laughter.   As I have been thousands of conference and it is almost routine for callers to put themselves on mute during the call until they want to speak.

Not the case here, but I am always humored to be on these calls when people with mouthy opinions of their bosses don't know how to work the mute on their conference phone. Oh, the fun that ensues!

~lw3

• Like 3

• Moderators

Definitely agree with the others here that Gearon's side of the call was on mute so the laughter and high-fiving going on wasn't something that Ferry could hear and react to.

On whether Ferry was reading line for line from a scouting report, that is indeterminable at this time.  The only way to verify or rebut that is to force the production of the report.  However, that seems like a bit of a red herring to me at this point.  My assumption is that the scouting report wasn't limited to those 20 or so words which means that, even if he was reading verbatim from the report, Ferry chose to highlight those comments from the report and read them to the ownership.  In doing so without qualification, I think he adopts them and the tape supports that, IMO, since he goes on to repeat the point about him being two-faced and dishonest in non-ethnic language.

From my perspective, the main relevance of the report now is to prove whether the report was a fabrication used to cover up the situation.  If it turns out there is a report and Ferry chose to highlight and recite that section of it, that doesn't change much of anything.  The only real PR benefit is it could give the public another face to associate with the language and possibly give people someone else to beat up.  The real change is if the report is leaked and it turns out Ferrry wasn't reading from it.  Then there is a big lie and massive credibility issue.

• Like 1

From my perspective, the main relevance of the report now is to prove whether the report was a fabrication used to cover up the situation.  If it turns out there is a report and Ferry chose to highlight and recite that section of it, that doesn't change much of anything.  The only real PR benefit is it could give the public another face to associate with the language and possibly give people someone else to beat up.  The real change is if the report is leaked and it turns out Ferrry wasn't reading from it.  Then there is a big lie and massive credibility issue.

That's not the only benefit. It would also give the public knowledge that Ferry was being honest about the existence of the report. To me that's as important as if he were lying, it's all about his credibility right now. 

conference calls everyone else goes on mute.  deng does sound like a weasel.  if he can play, dunno if I'd care.  ferry tried to sign him.

• Moderators

I agree with Dolfan in that it sounds like Ferry was paraphrasing.  He sounds like a student giving a prepared Powerpoint presentation.  I'm not saying that Ferry didn't know what he was saying because we all have that older person in our lives that cracks racial jokes/slurs, but it didn't sound like they were his poorly-chosen words.  It really does sound like it was dumbed down for the owners.

And you know, a REAL ownership wouldn't require conference calls like this.  Arthur Blank pays the bills and let's TD make the free agent/drafting decisions with the coaching staff.  The vision is understood in the Falcons' organization.  Levenson said that Ferry has the keys, but conference calls where the subject is potential free agent targets only applies to owners that like to meddle and "get involved".  I think that Ferry only ever had valet keys.  ASG, question Ferry when he makes a bad move, but until then, let the man do what he feels is best for the team and stay the f*** out of the way. 

And Gearon Jr...

gearonkillyourself_zps388b3d0b.png

• Like 1

• Moderators

conference calls everyone else goes on mute.  deng does sound like a weasel.  if he can play, dunno if I'd care.  ferry tried to sign him.

There's a reason that Chicago felt he was expendable.  Maybe he was petty on things like bobble heads and jerseys.  Almost makes you wonder if the report he was reading may've came straight from Chicago... He does have a past in working with Chicago due to the Korver trade.  Also, he found out about Sefolosha and Deng being friends somehow. 

Deng was in Cleveland for half of a season, so maybe Ferry still has connections with the scouting department in Cleveland.  Makes sense that Deng would be concerned about materialistic things in Cleveland.

Edited by PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

That's not the only benefit. It would also give the public knowledge that Ferry was being honest about the existence of the report. To me that's as important as if he were lying, it's all about his credibility right now. 

I think there is some truth in this.

• Like 1

• Moderators

At this point, the ASG should release the whole transcript covering Deng so all the good things can get out there as well and confirm that the Hawks made a 2 year, $20 million offer to Deng - identical to the offer he signed in Miami.

It doesn't surprise me, though, that the non-Gearon parts of the ASG are handling the PR side of this as badly as they usually do.