• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I gotta give credit to Ferry for the Thabo signing

GameTime

He takes over games defensively and is our best rebounder on the team thus far. He is also money from the corner 3 and is improving his overall FG% as the season progresses.

He has been the most valuable FA signing in the NBA IMO. Changed our entire 2nd team defensive identity which allows us to play a full 4 quarters defensively.

Props to Ferry. He saw the fit when most of us didn't.

Couldn't be stated any better. He's a defensive wizard. Also a testament to his character, this is his first year here and he seems like a vocal team leader.

Ferry, someone, or a group of someone's, did a great job of putting this specific squad together. There were several great calls (Bud, Carroll, Milsap, Thabo, locking up Mike Scott, Joe Johnson trade, letting Smith walk, NOT trading Horf or Teague despite talk, and the bad ones aren't exactly hurting us much at all - Baze is like 3% of the salary cap, Lou is an awesome bench player but didn't fit this squad, Mack's deal doesn't hamstring the club even as a long contracted #3 PG. We missed on every major FA too, and now still have cap room for 2015/2016 instead of being stuck, and should have at least a mid round 1st.

He takes over games defensively and is our best rebounder on the team thus far. He is also money from the corner 3 and is improving his overall FG% as the season progresses.

He has been the most valuable FA signing in the NBA IMO. Changed our entire 2nd team defensive identity which allows us to play a full 4 quarters defensively.

Props to Ferry. He saw the fit when most of us didn't.

Go back and check out the Thabo signing thread...ur right only about 10% of us thought he'd be a great addition ;-) while 90% hated....I just think many people didnt even know his game but just wanted to blindly comment.

Not impressed. He's going to hamstring our ability to resign Millsap and DMC. More worried about them seeing him as a replacement to DMC on the cheap actually.

You're not impressed with Thabo? :-/

You did read the rest of my post after I said that, right? Would you rather have him or DMC?

Oh no I definitely read your post. To be honest I love both of them. I just thought the statement of not being impressed was surprising. I think they bring a lot of the same tools to the table... Tough, hard nosed defense, 3 point shooting (DMC from all over, Thabo from the corners) and all around low maintenance type guys. I just think you also have to factor in the fact that DMC has been under the "bud coaching/system" for more time than Thabo. I'm hoping we don't have to pick one or the other, but at some point you may be right and we may have to make a decision.

You did read the rest of my post after I said that, right? Would you rather have him or DMC?

and how does he hamstring our ability to sign either Milsap or DMC?  We can sign free agents and then sign Milsap and DMC while going over the cap due to the early bird rights.

He's not going to hamstring us for anything. You're spreading false information there. Go read @hawksfanatic's posts on the matter. We have to sign players in a certain order but we can keep this team together. 

• Like 1

Go back and check out the Thabo signing thread...ur right only about 10% of us thought he'd be a great addition ;-) while 90% hated....I just think many people didnt even know his game but just wanted to blindly comment.

Some people gotta stick to their guns, you don't populate a thread like that with a million posts just to turn around and say "hmm, maybe Thabo aint so bad".

• Like 2

• Premium Member

and how does he hamstring our ability to sign either Milsap or DMC?  We can sign free agents and then sign Milsap and DMC while going over the cap due to the early bird rights.

Are the owners willing to do this? I'm worried that both Millsap and DMC are literally playing themselves out of here with how much they are going to command on the free market.

• Moderators

He has been roughly what I expected.  Excellent defensive player and shoddy offensive player.  The key is that he was needed to shore up our perimeter defense and he has delivered on that.  We also needed depth behind DMC and he has provided that.  

Sothron's issue with money to resign DMC and Paul is potentially in play but it depends on who owns us and what their budget is.  We will be able to resign both even if it takes max contracts and pushes us into tax payer territory (this may also depend on who else we sign before these guys, etc.).  Then the question is whether the budget supports that type of payroll.  If it doesn't, we have options of some solid contracts to move if necessary or price point decisions on our free agents.

Edited by AHF

Some people gotta stick to their guns, you don't populate a thread like that with a million posts just to turn around and say "hmm, maybe Thabo aint so bad".

Ya true. I don't blame the people that didnt know about Thabo..just pisses me off when they are so quick to comment on a free agent that we signed when they don't know $hit about them.

• Admin

I will admit that I was wrong about his signing.

I was p!ssed about it at the time but I have to say he has fit in perfectly.  His d is awesome, he gives us depth, good rebounder and most importantly ... a willing passer which is almost a requirement for this team

• Like 2

Another good thing about the Thabo signing is his contract is frontloaded like Korvers.

4.15 this year, 4 next and 3.85 in the final year.  Not a huge difference but it will save us 300,000 in year 3 vs the contract progressing higher each year.

• Like 2

Ya true. I don't blame the people that didnt know about Thabo..just pisses me off when they are so quick to comment on a free agent that we signed when they don't know $hit about them.

Oh, but they feel that they do know about the player, so much so that they are rather confident in their analysis that said player has no tangible positives that fit within the context of any team or system.  They then fallback on their cap expertise to demonstrate that said player's suckiness is bad enough but further compounded when they are making more that $1 a year.  Then they are just bad and overpaid.

Oh, but they feel that they do know about the player, so much so that they are rather confident in their analysis that said player has no tangible positives that fit within the context of any team or system.  They then fallback on their cap expertise to demonstrate that said player's suckiness is bad enough but further compounded when they are making more that $1 a year.  Then they are just bad and overpaid.

You mean like the overwhelming number of people who hated the Korver re-signing, signing DMC, drafting Schröder, drafting Scott, etc. etc. who now openly cheer for these guys?

• Like 2