• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we fear the Spurs?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Not on the court.

This is the last contracted season for Duncan and Ginobili.  I don't know if there's any reason why Timmy D would want to come back.  He's always struck me as a CP3 like guy .. a guy who is loyal and will finish out his deal and then walk away.  Ginobili is not a young pup anymore either.

With Kawhi Leonard being the guy to build around, should we worry that the Spurs will come after Paul Millsap?

Now that we are successful, have we gotten to the place where teams like the Spurs and the Jazz are teams that look at our guys as pieces for their team?

My point..  Lock up Sap and DMC before the offseason.

I'm pretty sure he can't sign an extension now.   I think we have to wait till summer like everyone else.  CBA experts?

That's what I remember from when I asked about it before.  The CBA eggsperts said it's illegal or something to negotiate an extension before the offseason.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Spurs go after M. Gasol or LMA before Millsap.

• Admin

I'd love to see any of these in a Hawks uni:

Leonard

Butler

Aldridge

M Gasol

They would all be great fits ... I don't see Butler or Leonard leaving but Aldridge wanted to leave Portland a couple years ago and I have a feeling Gasol will be moving on from Memphis

Realize getting one of those guys means bye to Sap.  Is that something you would be willing to do?

I wouldn't fear the Spurs so much, they don't generally over pay for players. Other teams might step up, though. And if they do, we'll likely just do what Ferry and Bud have already been doing - buy low and train them up high.

if there was any chance to get Marc Gasol, I wouldn't even mind if it meant missing Milsap. MG is one of the top 5 players in the league I'd love to have on our team.

Since we're on the subject, what does everyone think the dollar amounts are going to be for Milsap and Carroll? Ballpark of course. I'm worried the new impending TV money and expected salary cap increases coming in the next few years are going to greatly inflate the next batch of contracts.

But assuming that isn't the case, I'm guessing Milsap is going to be around at least $15-16m per year to bring him back.

Carroll is a bigger mystery due to how in-demand he might be. I'm going to say at least $6m per year but probably closer to 8-9m per. That's a huge jump from the $2.5m we got him for initially.

Pero will probably due for a sizeable bump on a 2 to 3 year deal as well.

And as someone else said, Horford will be due the next year at probably close to a max deal...sigh.

Throw in our likely lottery pick and it looks like we'll be doing well just to hang on to our current pieces, and forget about adding anyone of significance. Lets hope Bud/Ferry already have their eyes on the next DeMarre (underrated cheap signing who greatly outplays contract).

Fear the Spurs?

No.  But, as a son should respect his father, so should we respect the Spurs.

Note:  If the father isn't respectable don't expect respect from the son.  It's

a two edge sword.  The spurs have earned our respect, I believe.

GO TEAM ATL !

• Like 1