What's the consensus on Mike Scott's ceiling?

sturt

• Moderators

Horry was a stud defender so I don't see the comparison there.  I see him being like a Terry Mills-type impact with the potential to be a bit better than that if he keeps developing.  I don't think he will ever be an impact defender or rebounder.

• Like 2

• Admin

I've always seen him like Drew Gooden and expect that type of career from him.

Really?  With the exception that neither really plays defense ... I find him almost polar opposite to Drew ... Drew was a rebounder and played inside ... Scott plays more like a SF ... outside shooter who can take it to the basket but doesn't have a post game.  

Really?  With the exception that neither really plays defense ... I find him almost polar opposite to Drew ... Drew was a rebounder and played inside ... Scott plays more like a SF ... outside shooter who can take it to the basket but doesn't have a post game.  

Scott is like an athletic PF with an ok 3pt shot. But he's at his best when he's scoring inside, at least IMO. 

Comparisons are hard for 4s who can't defend or rebound. He can step his game up a level if he adds some more strength to his dribble drive and take a lot more time and care in finishing around the rim.

I can't stand the off-balance turnarounds versus mismatches and the pseudo-Jamison quick shots that he hasn't mastered. He is hustling more consistently, though.

I'll always love the confidence on his shot and how he effortlessly slides into perfect postion for spacing.

• Moderators

Forgot about Horry being a good rebounder... you're right... that's what I get for going with my first thought.

I think it is less about the rebounding (Scott and Horry are very similar in terms of rp36) but more about the fact that Horry could be a shut down defender with outstanding length and athleticism while Scott is not a very good defender in part due to his subpar athleticism and length.  Scott has scored better than Horry ever did and by a significant margin (other than the limited category of memorable clutch shots).

Scott has scored better than Horry ever did and by a significant margin (other than the limited category of memorable clutch shots).

Not true. Horry scored more than Scott, even with superior talent on those Rocket teams.

• Premium Member

Draft Express had predicted:

Best Case: Dante Cunningham

Worst Case: Luke Harangody

I just thought to ask 3 minutes ago, but the name that pops in my head is Robert Horry.

What say you?

It was my first thought too.  Of course Horry brought different things to the table, but he'll always be remembered for those timely, long-range, daggers.  What Mike Scott does reminds me a lot of that.  I feel good when he puts up a shot, though obviously he'll have to deliver consistent big baskets in big games before we can start calling him Big Shot Scott.

• Moderators

Not true. Horry scored more than Scott, even with superior talent on those Rocket teams.

True.  Horry's career high points per 36 minutes is 12.4 and his career average was 10.3.  Scott's career average is 18.3 pp36 - 50% higher than Horry's career high.

Horry's career TS% was .520% while Scott has shot .556% TS% for his career.

Scott has been significantly better as a scorer both from a volume and efficiency perspective for the time those guys played.

What you are talking about is that Horry played more minutes because he was a defensive standout.  Playing more minutes and accruing more total points because you play more total minutes doesn't make you a better scorer. 

• Like 1

True. Horry's career high points per 36 minutes is 12.4 and his career average was 10.3. Scott's career average is 18.3 pp36 - 50% higher than Horry's career high.

Horry's career TS% was .520% while Scott has shot .556% TS% for his career.

Scott has been significantly better as a scorer both from a volume and efficiency perspective for the time those guys played.

What you are talking about is that Horry played more minutes because he was a defensive standout. Playing more minutes and accruing more total points because you play more total minutes doesn't make you a better scorer.

Counselor, he's doing the Lawyars ting where they spin tings around again. I object! Lol

I see a Richard Jefferson comparison but Scott has slightly less offense and slightly better defense.

I knew he had offensive potential, it was just hard to say what position he'd fit in and if his defense would improve.  I agree we're getting the most out of him that we can.  He sticks his man on defense ok enough to get some minutes and has developed a nice stroke for someone who came into the league not having much of a 3pt game.