• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Private agendas still at play in Hawks’ offices

Admin

I don't see how it is worth getting riled up about.  Nique isn't throwing the team under the bus.  He has done little but praise and support the team this season.  He is throwing Ferry under the bus (which is different) as part of the Gearon clan agenda.  I don't like that but who really cares?  

Nique won't make the call on Ferry's future.  That will be our new owner and that choice won't come down to deciding whether Koonin was right for supporting a Nique statue or Ferry was right for trying to block it.  

Life is too short to get too worked up about this.  Let the new owner come in and make the choice.  Nique will live with that choice just like we all will. 

The Ferry-iers care ... a LOT.  They want the world to acknowledge the true embodiment of metaphysical genius that is ... Danny.

Well I'm stupid, so piece it together for me. Who said it? And in what context?

Don't be too hard on yourself.  Alcohol is said to effect a person's ... what was I saying?

One thing I don't understand is how Ferry could shut down a statue. If the owner of the team wants it and foots the bill, the GM who works for the owner should have nothing to do with it. Was Gearon wanting to use basketball operations money for the statue?

I was curious about this as well. Like what in the world does a GM have to do with putting statues up?

• Moderators

I don't equate respecting me with building a statue of me.  Sorry.  I don't expect anyone to build a statue of me.  Therefore I wouldn't get my boxers in a bunch about it, one way or another.

Now, as to Ferry, it's probably moot anyway, because if we get new owners, they will be able to retain Ferry or let him go, but somehow I doubt that they're going to turn over 100% control of their new toy to someone they don't know (Bud).  They're going to want to bring in their own people.  We'll end up with Isiah Thomas and Joe Dumars as co-GMs, and Bob Weiss as coach.  All because of stupid Gearon's personal agenda.

Here, I think this is silly.  No one builds statues to random fans.  People do build statues to great sports figures.  Just because it isn't important for a squawker to get his own statue doesn't mean that it might not be important to Hank Aaron or Dominique.  I'm not addressing the speculation on the new owner(s) since there is a wide range of things they could do.  I'm also not critiquing some of the other points Watchman raised because some of them are much better than this.

Another poster made the argument in the last couple pages that if we give a statue to Nique just for being the best Hawk on his teams then we should just give one to Josh Smith since some people thought he was the best Hawks during his time with the team.  That poster has since edited the Josh Smith argument out of his post so I am not going to revisit that.  Just because you give a statue to Nique doesn't mean you have to give one to Josh Smith and just because it is ridiculous to consider building a statue outside the Hawks arena to Josh doesn't make it similarly ridiculous to give Nique one.

Again, I think there are some good discussion points on about the criteria for statues, whether they are a good idea at all, etc.  Nobody is going to "win" that debate because reasonable minds differ on this and the practice of who gets statues is pretty broad and inherently subjective.  I just don't want to see arguments that are so specious that the person making them doesn't really believe them.  

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

One thing I don't understand is how Ferry could shut down a statue. If the owner of the team wants it and foots the bill, the GM who works for the owner should have nothing to do with it. Was Gearon wanting to use basketball operations money for the statue?

I've wondered about that too. Why would DF have a say in the statue?

Maybe it was Levenson who didn't want it but Gearon did?

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

I still find that no one has come close to touching whether or not the Hawks have honored Nique through means other than a statue. I'm curious, is there another individual that the Atlanta Hawks franchise has honored more so than Nique? Maybe John Bell of Widespread Panic, I mean they do have a banner retired up in the rafters!

Of course there is no one they have honored as much.  No one had nearly as good a career or has devoted their post-playing career to promoting the team.  Who else could they possibly have picked to honor more?  Joe Johnson?  Dikembe 'devoting himself to Houston' Mutombo?  Mookie 'in jail' Blalock?  Nobody compares.  

• Like 2

Of course there is no one they have honored as much.  No one had nearly as good a career or has devoted their post-playing career to promoting the team.  Who else could they possibly have picked to honor more?  Joe Johnson?  Dikembe 'devoting himself to Houston' Mutombo?  Mookie 'in jail' Blalock?  Nobody compares.  

The only other name I can think of is Kevin Willis. Maybe Pettit or Hudson.

• Moderators

OK so it's not about just being honored since you agree he already is honored more than anyone else in franchise history. Now it's that it needs to be, on particular, a statue.

So what's the statue criteria? Some have suggested him as the best Hawk. If that's the criteria, then we'll need to go through the Thrashers record book and give them a statue. Same for Falcons, so get ready Prime!

This is where we start getting silly again I see. Sigh.

Or we could be reasonable and see this as a difference in opinion, which it is.

We agree here. I think I've said that about 4-5 times on this thread.

Edited by AHF

Here, I think this is silly.  No one builds statues to random fans.  People do build statues to great sports figures.  Just because it isn't important for a squawker to get his own statue doesn't mean that it might not be important to Hank Aaron or Dominique.  I'm not addressing the speculation on the new owner(s) since there is a wide range of things they could do.  I'm also not critiquing some of the other points Watchman raised because some of them are much better than this.

Another poster made the argument in the last couple pages that if we give a statue to Nique just for being the best Hawk on his teams then we should just give one to Josh Smith since some people thought he was the best Hawks during his time with the team.  That poster has since edited the Josh Smith argument out of his post so I am not going to revisit that.  Just because you give a statue to Nique doesn't mean you have to give one to Josh Smith and just because it is ridiculous to consider building a statue outside the Hawks arena to Josh doesn't make it similarly ridiculous to give Nique one.

Again, I think there are some good discussion points on about the criteria for statues, whether they are a good idea at all, etc.  Nobody is going to "win" that debate because reasonable minds differ on this and the practice of who gets statues is pretty broad and inherently subjective.  I just don't want to see arguments that are so specious that the person making them doesn't really believe them.  

Nowhere in my post did I suggest that Hawks management would build a statue to "a random fan."  I was referring to work, etc.  The Hawks don't even know or care who I am.

• Moderators

Nowhere in my post did I suggest that Hawks management would build a statue to "a random fan."  I was referring to work, etc.  The Hawks don't even know or care who I am.

Fair enough. You may work in an industry where they build statues to the historically great performers. I don't. It would be ridiculous to compare the idea of a statue for me to one for Nique.

Fair enough. You may work in an industry where they build statues to the historically great performers. I don't. It would be ridiculous to compare the idea of a statue for me to one for Nique.

As I said previously, I don't care if they build him a statue or not.  What I am really annoyed about is that apparently he considers his wittle pusonal feewins over the statue issue, more important than maintaining the current regime, without regard to what it does to the team.

Give the man a statue. He deserves it for sure. But those of you disrespecting Ferry is blowing my mind. Ferry has a shit ton to do with the turnaround of this franchise. We could easily suck again without him. You guys are so sure about Buds GM skills. I don't think some of you are thinking clearly on the matter. Nique has NOTHING to do with where the Hawks are at right now. Both men deserve specific accolades, and Nique def deserves to recognized as the greatest Hawk of all time. But Nique needs to check his head a bit IMO.

• Moderators

You've hardly mentioned this 4-5 times in the thread. You have posted 5 times in the thread. You've mentioned a difference in opinion once in the thread.

You are correct.  I've only posted that twice.

I don't think anybody is inherently unreasonable for not wanting a statue of Nique but neither is it unreasonable to think that such a statue might be appropriate.  There are numerous examples of statues being put up for every category of player that people have railed against:  living players get them all the time; non-champions get the all the time; etc.  Nique would not be even close to the bottom of the heap as far as a player's stature in their sport (see guys who don't rank near the tops of the major records like Frank Thomas with his statue in Chicago).

People can make the argument both ways on this but making it by comparing Nique to one of us schmucks on the Squawk or Josh Smith or by comparing the idea of a statue at the Hawks arena for Nique to shutting down all non-essential business in the city to celebrate Nique does not advance that conversation.  At all.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nba/miami-heat/article10439099.html

When I read the headline and then read the story things just dont add up. Piss poor job of jouralism if you ask me. The title is something like Al Horford not happy if Ferry returns but nowhere does Al say anything close to that imo.

So it's not so cut and dry.