Clicked the link and was like...

jim-carrey.jpg

Then I was like...

4fcdf2e118613355b500ba5d.jpg

Bravo homeslice. lol

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 2

LOL . . . nice.

But then again, what if this DID happen?  I mean, it's not like the league is forcing them to sell the team.  They've just made a verbal commitment to sell.

My fear has always been that Gearon and his group would sell, then buy their way right back into power with the new ownership.  Like say the Hawks sell for 1 billion, which would give Gearon and Seydel roughly 250 million.   If they did buy back in for say 100 million, they would have a lower percentage stake, but still be owners . . . and still make almost a 150 million profit from when they bought in back in 2004.

• Like 1

LOL . . . nice.

But then again, what if this DID happen?  I mean, it's not like the league is forcing them to sell the team.  They've just made a verbal commitment to sell.

My fear has always been that Gearon and his group would sell, then buy their way right back into power with the new ownership.  Like say the Hawks sell for 1 billion, which would give Gearon and Seydel roughly 250 million.   If they did buy back in for say 100 million, they would have a lower percentage stake, but still be owners . . . and still make almost a 150 million profit from when they bought in back in 2004.

And still be sitting there cockblocking Ferry's possible return.

Edited by RandomFan

• Moderators

LOL . . . nice.

I have no worry about that.  Gearon has been in major disputes with both of his partners now.  If you are committing 1B to buy this team, you don't keep that kind of partner around.

My worry remains that Gearon will change his mind and refuse to sell his share.

I've thought of that.  But then I have a lot of surreal thoughts.  Like for ex, say the sale doesn't go down in time for the finals and the Hawks win it all.  We will have to watch those guys get the trophy and hold it up in the air. Kind of take the bloom off the rose, don't you think?

• Moderators

I have no worry about that.  Gearon has been in major disputes with both of his partners now.  If you are committing 1B to buy this team, you don't keep that kind of partner around.

My worry remains that Gearon will change his mind and refuse to sell his share.

I think this has already happened.  They are talking out both sides of their mouth on that issue and its going to be a problem

http://saportareport.com/local-owners-of-atlanta-hawks-aim-to-be-part-of-new-ownership-team/

The ajc.com website sent out a “breaking news” alert Friday saying that 100 percent of the franchise was for sale and that an agreement had been reached between all three ownership groups, according “to a person familiar with the situation.”

But the Atlanta ownership group has consistently said it would like to retain an ownership stake in the Atlanta Hawks.

“We look forward to being part of a new group that’s going to take us to a new level,” said Seydel, who said the focus should be on how well the Atlanta Hawks have been performing all season as well as during the past seven to eight years when they have consistently made it to the playoffs.

Gearon Jr. was out of town and could not be reached.

Gearon Sr., who was out of the country, was contacted by phone, but said it was premature to make a comment.

“The team deserves the focus because of how well it is doing and how well it is performing,” said Seydel, who added that the Atlanta Hawks have consistently made it into the play-offs in the last seven to eight years despite rocky management and ownership issues.

“By anybody’s measure, the team has gotten better,” Seydel said. “The team is headed in the right direction – I don’t think anybody would argue with that. But we want to get to the next level. We want to partner with like-minded people.”

The investment banking firm of Goldman Sachs – working with Inner Circle Sports – has been retained to help with selling the team and meeting with prospective buyers. It has been estimated that the team could be sold from $600 million to $1 billion.

Seydel said he is looking forward to the ownership questions be resolved in a constructive way in the near future.

“In fairness to how hard the team has worked, they deserve being in the spotlight,” Seydel said. “All of this stuff really is a side show.”

• Like 1

• Moderators

I don't care if Webber or Hill or Shaq or any other figurehead former player is with the ownership group.  I want the right group of owners.  Hill, Webber, etc. won't own jack.  They don't have the capital to be like Jordan and really own a team.  I want a stable, smart, wealthy group of owners who are ready to step back and let the basketball people run the team.  That starts with Bud.  I hope it also includes Ferry.

• Like 2