• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Two frontrunners emerge in Hawks ownership bid

JETSET

One leading group is led by Grizzlies minority owner Steve Kaplan, who is joined by Indonesian billionaires Erick Thohir and Handy Poernomo and former Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien. Braves great Hank Aaron also has been associated with the group.

The other leading group is led by Lionsgate Entertainment’s Mark Rachesky, who is joined by New York investment banker Steve Starker. Jesse Itzler, who has done consulting work for the Hawks and attends many games, is also associated with the group. He is married to Spanx founder Sara Blakely.

From the AJC

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/frontrunners-emerging-in-hawks-ownership-bid/nkmWZ/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_hawks_sfp

already laying the groundwork for a new arena.   i hate sports these days.

It sure sounds like that's what they are doing.

Whoever it is, I hope they just let things continue as previously planned.  Unfortunately, the majority of these guys have an ego and will want to put their own stamp on the franchise.

• Like 1

• Moderators

It sure sounds like that's what they are doing.

Whoever it is, I hope they just let things continue as previously planned.  Unfortunately, the majority of these guys have an ego and will want to put their own stamp on the franchise.

The weight room and practice court aren't up to snuff?   Better tear the whole thing down.   Now i agree that the design with the luxury suite wall is a bad one but i don't care at this point.   

• Moderators

The Lions gate guy will try to move thr team

Nah. He's best of buds with the owner of the Braves. He may want to move the team out of Atlanta to Gwinnett or Alpharetta, but he won't move them out of state, which the only kind of moving I care about.

I don't get how their facilities are substandard already. It isn't like they are still playing in the Omni...

When Ferry took over, the facilities were a big talking point for him and he mentioned upgrading them.  I guess either he didn't have the time to finish that campaign promise or the A$G showed him the actual remodeling budget.  I don't see why it's a big deal though, plenty of teams have their practice and training facilities in a separate location than the team's arena and given the mayor's rhetoric about keeping the team in town and offering concessions.... it shouldn't be hard to come up with a sweet heart mostly publicly funded facility saaaaaaaaaaay right around where some baseball team whose name I'm having trouble remembering used to play. 

Edited by MaceCase

Other than Seattle, I don't see any city w/o and NBA team that would be close to Atlanta in terms of market and potential.  Seattle may have supported its team pretty well, but they don't even have good arena and its a smaller market anyway.  Louisville has a 22k seat (+ or -) arena, but its a much smaller market, and there's plenty of competition from college bball.  idk -- there may be other cities that don't have a team, but how are they better than Atlanta? St. Louis?  Omaha?  Mexico City?  

Edited by Randy

NetsDaily.com: Sports Business Journal says final bids for Hawks due Friday. Price tag could be near $900m. Team has $100m in debt, losing $15m a year.Twitter @NetsDaily

Atlanta Hawks, Owners