• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Thabo & Pero Arrested; Thabo OUT FOR SEASON due to injuries

ersimo2889

• 3 weeks later...

Great read thanks for the post

24 hour news and potentially one of the largest stories in the nba this season and everyone is afraid to cover it- or don't care because he is a hawk- bravo journalism, bravo

• Like 1

• Moderators

That is an excellent read.  There is no question that if this was a Knick or Laker, etc. that this would be a much bigger focus but it is still inexplicable to me to try to reconcile the lack of coverage.  ESPN, who is quoted in here, for example had no problem offering all kinds of opinion commentary on the racial controversies with Levenson and Ferry.  In that case, neither were accused of having taken a single tangible employment action against someone based on race.  Instead, they made some very stupid and offensive remarks that didn't have much practical impact on any players.  The police manhandling Thabo and breaking his leg is much more tangible and coming out of the context of the Black Lives Matter movement in sports over the last year it should be a bigger deal.  

I am 100% sure if the Cleveland team turned out in BLM shirts to warmup before the next game it would garner 100x the media coverage that Thabo's absence is getting.  

Since I've been critical of Pero and Thabo being out so late on the night before a game, let me clarify that doesn't mean I excuse the NYPD.  If my daughter was walking through a major city alone at 2:00 a.m. I would be pissed at her and tell her to use more common sense.  If someone hurt her while she did that, I would absolutely do everything in my power to punish that person.  Pero and Thabo doing something that I think has too much negative risk on a game day doesn't justify them being assaulted.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I was talking to my brother the other day about how silent things have become regarding Thabo's story. It's troubling because it got quiet AFTER video and witness accounts conflicted with the police report.

• Moderators

((on the decision to go out that night))

"That night we had quite a bit to celebrate," he said. "We had secured the first spot in the Eastern Conference. And I like New York. It's a city I enjoy. I have friends there. So me and one of my teammates decided to go out and have a good time in the city..."

Asked whether he put himself at risk being out at late hours, Sefolosha said, "I think it's a fair question to ask, 'Why were you out at 4 in the morning?' I think I'm not a criminal for it. I've always been a professional guy when it comes to basketball, and I put it first. Of course, it's my priority. So even when I do go out, I always think about the repercussions of anything I do could have on my teammates, on the team and on the NBA as a whole because we're looked at as NBA players.

"What one does often reflects on the others. So I try to conduct myself in a professional way. But at the same time I don't think it's a crime to be out, you know, even at 4 in the morning. It's something I can say I was OK doing due to the circumstances."

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Premium Member

With the timing of this interview, it makes me think Thabo delayed talking to the media to avoid being a distraction to the Hawks during their playoff run. That's very team oriented and coincides with his reputation around the league. I really hope the guy gets justice if he was indeed falsely arrested. But regardless of why he was arrested, there's no excuse for him having a broken leg and ligament damage after being in police custody. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ho-hum just going to leave this here so we can all make fun of the victim-shamers on the site:

Still can't believe those thugs put themselves in a position to get on of their legs broken, THE NERVE! {/sarcasm}

Edited by hawksfanatic

• Premium Member

Ho-hum just going to leave this here so we can all make fun of the victim-shamers on the site:

Still can't believe those thugs put themselves in a position to get on of their legs broken, THE NERVE! {/sarcasm}

If this is true, Thabo should get nothing less than all charges dropped AND full payment for any damages in any deal that's made. I'm surprised the NYPD hasn't offered a deal already.

• Like 1

If this is true, Thabo should get nothing less than all charges dropped AND full payment for any damages in any deal that's made. I'm surprised the NYPD hasn't offered a deal already.

I also hope those 8-10 police officers it took to take down ONE man get suspended or fired.

• Premium Member

I also hope those 8-10 police officers it took to take down ONE man get suspended or fired.

That won't happen. The best case scenario is that Thabo and Pero get their names cleared and Thabo gets compensated. If that happens, it will happen quietly. The police will most likely not publicly admit any wrongdoing if they can help it.

• Moderators

NEW YORK -- The trial for Atlanta Hawks players Thabo Sefolosha and Pero Antić has been set for Sept. 9 in New York City.

Sefolosha and Antić were arrested in Manhattan in the early hours of April 8 for interfering with the establishment of a crime scene following the stabbing ofIndiana Pacers forward Chris Copeland outside of a nightclub.

Sefolosha suffered a broken right fibula and ligament damage at the scene of the arrest and has said the injuries were inflicted by police.

Thabo Sefolosha and Pero Antić, back left, pictured here in April, both appeared in court Tuesday, when a Sept. 9 trial date was set. AP Photo/Craig Ruttle

Both players are contesting the charges.

During a court appearance Tuesday, Alex Spiro, an attorney for Sefolosha and Antić, filed a subpoena to the judge requesting personnel files, disciplinary records and arrest history reports for the four officers involved in the arrests of the players.

"Put simply, the officers were not justified in their actions," the subpoena read.

Spiro did not comment on the case Tuesday, but he has said he expects the District Attorney's office to dismiss the case before it goes to trial.

The Internal Affairs bureau of the New York City Police Department is investigating the incident. The NYPD has not responded to requests for comment.

Sefolosha and Antić were both in the courthouse in lower Manhattan on Tuesday morning but declined to comment on the case.

The players were joined by NBA Players Association general counsel Gary Kohlman. Sefolosha's wife, Bertille, was also with him.

Late last month, Sefolosha told ESPN.com that the incident had hurt his reputation.

"I was injured in the hands of the police, and it took away a lot from my everyday life," Sefolosha said during an interview at his home. "From being able to help put the kids in bed, going up and down the stairs.

"We are talking about the stress that it has brought to the entire family, you know, my mom and dad in Switzerland, my brothers and sisters, my wife. Also, the damage to my reputation. I've had people texting me about what they saw in the newspaper and things like this. Every aspect of my life was affected by something like this, and I think putting light on the aftermath of something like this, I think that's also something that's important."

Sefolosha's right leg remains in a cast, and he needed a crutch for support while walking in and out of the courtroom Tuesday. He said outside of the courthouse that he was unsure if he would be healthy for the start of the 2015-16 season.

"I don't know. It's not my priority right now," Sefolosha said. "I'm going to come back and play when I'm ready to play."

Sefolosha is under contract through the 2016-17 season. Antić will be a free agent this summer.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13089649/trial-date-thabo-sefolosha-pero-Antić-atlanta-hawks-set-sept-9

• Like 2

• Moderators
Spiro wrote in his subpoena request that the two players were: “a) more 100 feet away from the crime scene and b) not within sight of the crime scene.”

I'm glad we all figured that out here back around Page 5 or so.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators

Lost amid all that, just a heads-up that Copeland's doing okay.

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

My whole point is that there is a whole lot of bad #%%! that goes down around 3 am. Part of that is the cops, bouncers and others who use excessive force to 'maintain order.' Still don't think there is any upside to being out then on a game day. I'm hoping Thabo wins the case.

(A statement from Thabo's lawyer is beyond predictable and doesn't give me any real hopes for that but the witness video does.)

• 2 months later...

Obnoxious bump for all those h8ers out there!!

Hawks player Thabo Sefolosha will go to trial Oct. 5, determined to prove his innocence in a case stemming from an incident outside a New York nightclub.

Prosecutors dropped all charges against former Hawk Pero Antić in a morning hearing in Manhattan. But they offered Sefolosha only a conditional dismissal, which he turned down in favor of going to trial to seek full exoneration.

Sefolosha suffered a broken right fibula and ligament damage during the incident and while he no longer needs a walking boot or crutches, he has yet to be cleared for basketball activities. He said Tuesday that he’s not sure he’ll be ready for the start of training camp later this month, but remains hopeful of being able to play when the Hawks open the season Oct. 27 against Detroit.

Sefolosha has said his injuries were caused by New York City police, who came to the scene after Indiana Pacers player Chris Copeland was stabbed in the abdomen during a dispute at the nightclub 1OAK in the early morning hours of April 8. Sefolosha was charged with one count of resisting arrest and one count of disorderly conduct, while Antić faced charges of disorderly conduct and second-degree harassment for interfering with Sefolosha’s arrest.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/sefolosha-turns-down-deal-nightclub-case/nnbZw/

So Pero has all charges dropped. BUT BUT BUT WAIT I THOUGHT IF YOU WERE CHARGED YOU'RE GUILTY!?!?!

Thabo rejects a deal where he would only have to perform one day of community service. What a thug, won't even support his community! {/sarcasm}