• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Game 1 thoughts

Alex

• Premium Member

Last year San Antonio could beat Dallas in 7 games before starting their historic run. Normally I consider myself a pessimistic fan but even I am not freaked out.

I agree. I don't think any playoff run began with the first game of the playoffs. You win and move on and hope your team keeps getting better.

• Like 1

To be honest, the "refs you suck" chant bothers me more. It seems we have been doing that all season, even at seemingly random times. As if we need any more reason for the refs not to like us.

Huh, I thought we've discussed how this is a Hawks forum before? And how, like, as a fan you want to boo the other team. Am I missing something? Is this Joesquawk now?

Yea, I roll my eyes at these "it's not his fault" or "any one of us would have taken the money" posts.  He wasn't just given a charitable donation, he was given a contract with expectations on both his and the team's performance.  When you play like and publicly say that you don't care about those expectations......yea, you get booed.  There's nothing classless about that, it's a perfectly logical reaction.  If they are booing him in the streets while he's trying to have dinner with his family, sure, classless.  If they are booing him on the basketball court for basketball reasons....I think that's in the realm of possibilities but let me duck my head before a "charitable donations" and "pillar of the community" shoe flies at my head.

• Like 1

To be honest, the "refs you suck" chant bothers me more. It seems we have been doing that all season, even at seemingly random times. As if we need any more reason for the refs not to like us.

Seriously? Sigh.

We complain about fans not making enough noise and when they do everyone's a critic.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

Cause the only way to make noise is to randomly chant "refs u suck" and boo a player that was traded 3 seasons ago? Stay classy Atlanta.

The "ref you suck" chant is decidedly NOT an Atlanta thing.  I have no problem with you having a problem with it, but don't kill our crowd over it.  That happens in every arena in the league.

Half the fans have no idea why they are booing him. I'm a Joe fan but it's the playoffs, he is now the ENEMY. Let them boo, let them boo, let them boo.

And it sure beats hearing Phillips rooting for the other teams best player.

I'm a huge JJ fan still, and I agree with your assessment. In the playoffs, he is the enemy. So if they want to boo him, no matter how bad it looks, I don't have too much of an issue with it.

My REAL concern about the booing, is that it just might give him motivation to really play well in one of these games in Atlanta. The booing, to me, is like poking a dog that really doesn't bark at anybody, with a stick.

Eventually, that dog is going to get pissed off, and try to bite you.

• Like 3

The "ref you suck" chant is decidedly NOT an Atlanta thing. I have no problem with you having a problem with it, but don't kill our crowd over it. That happens in every arena in the league.

I'm not killing anyone. I have no problem with it when there is a bad, or even borderline, call. And no, not all crowd do it the entire game.

• Moderators

In my section there were 3 guys who chanted M-V-P whenever ANY hawks went to the free throw line.   I guess it was a joke or something but i wasn't getting it.   But like others said, glad we've got an arena full of hawks fans no matter how random (or drunk) they may be.   Now if only 8,000 of us weren't trapped in the upper deck with only two slow escalators to get us to safety.  But i digress. 

I'm not killing anyone. I have no problem with it when there is a bad, or even borderline, call. And no, not all crowd do it the entire game.

They do not do it the entire game so I'm not sure hat you mean - they do it jyst as you pointed out on bad/borderline calls.

• Moderators

Let's face it, nba refs do suck.  Probably because they are trained to call the game a certain way regardless of what the rule book says.   From the stands I actually thought the Hawks were on the better end of the refs in game 1.   There will always be some bad calls.

Our crowd didn't do it the whole game either.  They may not have been justified but they weren't over-the-top moreso than any other crowd IMHO.

Let's face it, nba refs do suck.  Probably because they are trained to call the game a certain way regardless of what the rule book says.   From the stands I actually thought the Hawks were on the better end of the refs in game 1.   There will always be some bad calls.

I actually thought we were beneficiaries of a few bad calls.  We were also on the other end of some awful missed calls too.  All in all, it wasn't a well-officiated game.  IOW ... ref you suck!, ref you suck!, ref you suck! ...

I only chanted that the refs sucked twice and they were on really crappy calls. I also don't boo JJ and think it is kind of undeserved, though maybe his comments about not caring what the fans think would incite some people to boo so I can kind of see where they are coming from.

The saddest thing about the booing, is that he's going to be more appreciated in Phoenix and Brooklyn, than he'll be in Atlanta, when he retires.

He can be more appreciated there but he had his best years here...by far.

I agree. Which makes the booing so curious. That comment was made 5 years ago. And JJ played in Atlanta for 2 more years after he made that comment. And JJ never asked to be traded. He got pushed out by the new regime.

Hate the contract, not the player.

In my section there were 3 guys who chanted M-V-P whenever ANY hawks went to the free throw line. I guess it was a joke or something but i wasn't getting it. But like others said, glad we've got an arena full of hawks fans no matter how random (or drunk) they may be. Now if only 8,000 of us weren't trapped in the upper deck with only two slow escalators to get us to safety. But i digress.

I get it, but how dumb is that.