• Raised $390 of $700 target

Last possession discussion...Carroll was not injured

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Chris Vivlamore

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Hawks’ Carroll on not playing final Game 3 possession
3:09 p.m. Sunday, May 10, 2015 | Filed in: HawksExplore

DeMarre Carroll, the Hawks top wing defender, was not on the floor for the Wizards’ final possession that resulted in Paul Pierce hitting a buzzer-beating game-winner in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinal series.

Following the game, Carroll told WSB Channel 2 that he did not feel “comfortable as far as physically.” On Sunday, Carroll and Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer addressed the media and answered questions about the circumstances.

Here is what they had to say:

043015-hawks-gamer-CC19.jpg Curtis Compton
Hawks forward DeMarre Carroll reacts to scoring against the Nets during the second half in a 107-97 victory over the Nets in their first round, game five basketball game on Wednesday, April 29, 2015, in Atlanta. Curtis Compton / ccompton@ajc.com

Carroll

Q. What happened last night and are you good to go tomorrow?

A. I’m good. That was a tough game for us but by the same token to clarify what went on last night was me and coach discussed the situation, we discussed that was the best group at the time because they had come all the way back. Due to that, I hadn’t played for a quarter and a half and we felt that was the best group to give us a shot to get that stop.

Q. Were you physically uncomfortable? What was it?

A. Like I said, I talked to coach. We discussed it. That was the best group at the time due to I hadn’t played for a quarter and a half. That’s what we felt.

Q. But you did go in the previous possession defensively?

A. I went in for a second and then when I came out we discussed and we felt that was the best situation. I know a lot of people are going to say a lot of things because I’m supposed to be the top defender on the team but I guess you can talk to coach and he’ll answer the rest of the questions. We did discuss it and we felt that was the best group.

Q. If you had to do it over again, would you try to stress harder that you wanted to be on the floor.

A. No comment.

Budenholzer

Q. DeMarre, in the end-of-game situation, said he was physically unable to go. He said moments ago you two talked about it. What happened last night?

A. It’s like all throughout the game there is dialog. The group that was on the court we felt gave us our best chance to get a stop. You consider everything in listening and talking that’s the group we went with.

Q. Is he physically OK?

A. He is fine.

Q. Did you put him on the bench or did he ask out?

A. We made a decision.

Q. What was different about that because he was on the floor on the previous defensive possession?

A. Considering he hadn’t played the whole fourth quarter, I think he went in for a possession and, again, there is a time out, you talk, you discuss and you have to make decisions. I think sometimes we take players out of the game who don’t want to come out and sometimes we probably put players that want to go it. Coaches have to make decisions. It happens every night, every time.

Q. Did he not want to come out?

A. We went with the group that gave us the best chance to get a stop. That’s the decision. Obviously, Paul Pierce made a heck of a shot, a tough shot. But we always go with the group we feel gives us our best chance.

Q. Is it fair to categorize DeMarre has your best wing defender?

A. Of course DeMarre is our best wing defender but considering he hadn’t played the entire fourth quarter then there are lots of things that go into making decisions. You evaluate. You listen. You make a decision. That’s what coaches do.

• Like 1

Oh wow man. Bud is acting like this game was meaningless, and he had to build up the self esteem of a few guys. And DeMarre, I can't get a hold on why he wouldn't want to go back in during that time. You were SPECIFICALLY brought here for that EXACT situation.

So they want us to believe that both of them decided that because the bench brought us back, they should finish the game on the final possession on defense?

You know what this sounds like? This sounds like some of the same babble that Pete Carroll gave when he decided to throw the ball, instead of giving the ball to Marshawn Lynch at the 1 yard line at the Super Bowl.

I'm highly disappointed in both Bud and DeMarre, if they made this "mutual" decision. If we'd won that game in that fashion, it may have completely crushed the spirit of the Wizards.

Instead, not only have the Hawks given them hope to win the series, it also gives them some leeway to possibly rest Wall a little more ... and forces us into a must win Game 4 situation.

As a Bud supporter all year, I've been highly disappointed with his game and personnel management during these playoffs. Had Mike Woodson done some of the things that Bud has done in these 9 playoff games, the fan base would have DESTROYED HIM.

This is the easiest path we've ever had to get to the ECF, and the coach is rationalizing that Korver and Schröder, who are 2 poor man defenders, gave him the best chance at getting a stop?

This is the playoffs. We don't have time for screw ups like that. And unless DeMarre had some sort of bathroom emergency, you get your ass out in that floor and play 14 seconds of defense.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 3

I don't get this! Bud should have said "get your ass out there and make a play defensively"

This sounds like a bit too much trust in your players to call the shot. I get you trust these guys bud and some of their decisions but man you still gotta coach your ass off!

I suspected the whole injury thing was a bunch of shit (no pun intended). 

It seems that Bud is less of a playoffs coach and he seems to have trouble motivating players hence why we where this "lack of focus" stuff so often.

I disagree though!

Teague was extremely aggressive last playoffs! hell its one of the reasons he earned his name "playoff teague" from atlanta fans. Millsap was really good too. Pero not so much lol

But wouldn't say Bud doesn't influence these guys cause he clearly does. Personally I think these players got a little self cocky and Bud may be having a little trouble bringing them back down to earth and reminding them that nobody no longer cares what y'all did over the regular season.

I think it was Demarre who said they thought they would just have to show up in this series and they would win. See thats an cocky attitude problem that should now be fixed for sure.

It may not have been a #2 issue. Maybe he had a problem getting rid of an erection. After all, there was that one cutie in the 3rd row, and those lovely cheerleaders. Just a thought.