• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks looking for a new GM

Vol4ever

I completely agree that drafting is important, but it shouldn't be the gold standard by which a GM is measured. It's better to look at the collective work.

Isiah Thomas drafted well. Just saying for those thinking the draft is everything. I'll take Ferry ' s draft record over most of the GM'S in our franchise history. He's selected quality players in every draft and hasn't even had a lottery pick.

This has nothing to with an overblown controversy of semantics that the NBA did not even punish. Ferry could have been brought anytime during the year and there would have been virtually no media blowback.There is some other issue at play with Gearon and Ferry, I dont know what exactly.

• Like 2

Bud is his own man and he's made a name for himself in the ATL. His friendship with Ferry will continue no matter what I suspect. But he's played a leading role in reviving basketball in Atlanta and along with Koonin continue to take the Hawks to new heights and towards winning championships. I don't think he walks away from that simply because Ferry's no longer there.

Like I said before, if Bud opts to not resign or if management decides not to offer him a new contract it will nit be about DF but a difference in basketball vision for the team.

As @frosgrim mentioned, I also worry about Bud leaving if we don't resign DF. Maybe some players too.

I think a lot of the incident is blown out of proportion. I sincerely doubt that any FA is going to avoid coming here if DF is brought back. Deng forgave him. Tons of players and execs around the league stuck up for him and his character. It was shown that the original scouting report said worse, and Ferry dumbed down the comments on the fly in the meeting. Seems more like the PC nazis going a little crazy with this one. A guy shouldnt lose his job for this, especially when the comments were someone else's and by all accounts he's got good character and done a great job and there is realistically little or no negative effects going forward.

The new owners do need to consider this a business decision, but in doing so realize what the fans (their customers) want. There was a poll on 929 The Game yesterday about what should happen with DF, and as of about 630pm yesterday evening with about 1600 respondents, 87% said that DF should come back.

I can tell you one thing, if they let DF go and then Bud decides to go be the HC of SAS or otherwise leaves, i will almost certainly not renew my season tickets. I am not saying that i wont go to any games, but being a season ticket holder is an expensive proposition and I'm not going to commit to laying out a ton of money when i have no idea what the product is going to look like. I will test it out with dropping back to just a few games. And if i am thinking that, i guarantee you that other season ticket holders would do the same.

It seems like the owners would be wise to come out and make a public statement saying that DF is being brought back, he said something regretful but all the evidence indicates that it is not reflective of his character and they were not his words. He has been punished to a great extent internally already. The primary party that was the subject of the comments has forgiven him. But he has otherwise shown to be a competent executive and has done great things for the organization, and we all hope to put the incident behind us and move forward with a greater awareness of what brought about this whole issue and take steps to avoid anything like it in the future.

My two cents.

• Like 4

The new owners do need to consider this a business decision, but in doing so realize what the fans (their customers) want. There was a poll on 929 The Game yesterday about what should happen with DF, and as of about 630pm yesterday evening with about 1600 respondents, 87% said that DF should come back.

I can tell you one thing, if they let DF go and then Bud decides to go be the HC of SAS or otherwise leaves, i will almost certainly not renew my season tickets. I am not saying that i wont go to any games, but being a season ticket holder is an expensive proposition and I'm not going to commit to laying out a ton of money when i have no idea what the product is going to look like. I will test it out with dropping back to just a few games. And if i am thinking that, i guarantee you that other season ticket holders would do the same.

It seems like the owners would be wise to come out and make a public statement saying that DF is being brought back, he said something regretful but all the evidence indicates that it is not reflective of his character and they were not his words. He has been punished to a great extent internally already. The primary party that was the subject of the comments has forgiven him. But he has otherwise shown to be a competent executive and has done great things for the organization, and we all hope to put the incident behind us and move forward with a greater awareness of what brought about this whole issue and take steps to avoid anything like it in the future.

My two cents.

Well stated Lamar.  I agree.

Isiah Thomas drafted well. Just saying for those thinking the draft is everything. I'll take Ferry ' s draft record over most of the GM'S in our franchise history. He's selected quality players in every draft and hasn't even had a lottery pick.

Ah yes, who can forget Isiah Thomas and his exceptional pick of Renaldo Balkman?

• Like 1

Ah yes, who can forget Isiah Thomas and his exceptional pick of Renaldo Balkman?

He did hit on some late picks

Trevor Ariza with the 43rd pick

David Lee with the 30th pick

Wilson Chandler @ 23

Traded Kurt Thomas and the draft rights to D. Thompson (54th pick) for Q. and the draft rights to Nate Robinson.

During his tenure with Toronto, he nailed his lottery picks with Damon Stoudamire, M Camby and T-Mac.

The thing is with all of these polls and whatnot is that the average Joe Schmoe could have zero issue with his return and even welcome it but they aren't going to feel the need to resort to the same tactics that certain special interests factions use as their bread and butter.

This has nothing to with an overblown controversy of semantics that the NBA did not even punish. Ferry could have been brought anytime during the year and there would have been virtually no media blowback.There is some other issue at play with Gearon and Ferry, I dont know what exactly.

Finally someone says it. And I would bet money that it has more to do than just Gearon.

To me, the major tip off that something was definitely up, was during Dominique Statue Week. Nique went waaaay out of his way to praise Bud, giving an almost "you built this" speech to him. Nique didn't even mention Ferry one time, and has never said anything about wanting him back.

Add the fact that Ferry is still in exile and hasn't had his "come to Jesus" moment to bring closure to all of this, it simply make you wonder if this goes much deeper than a reading of a bad scouting report.

• Like 1

• Moderators

He did hit on some late picks

Trevor Ariza with the 43rd pick

David Lee with the 30th pick

Wilson Chandler @ 23

Traded Kurt Thomas and the draft rights to D. Thompson (54th pick) for Q. and the draft rights to Nate Robinson.

During his tenure with Toronto, he nailed his lottery picks with Damon Stoudamire, M Camby and T-Mac.

Thomas was a good drafter and a terrible GM.

We're gonna have to put half the board on suicide watch when the new GM is named.

I have a feeling life will go on for both the Hawks and for Mr. Ferry no matter what happens.

The poll accompanying the AJC article now has "Keep Ferry as the GM" at 90%.

Wow. So apparently the average sports fan is more in tune with how important this actually is than some seasoned nameless Squawkers. Interesting.

• Moderators

Wow. So apparently the average sports fan is more in tune with how important this actually is than some seasoned nameless Squawkers. Interesting.

I bet 90% on this board support Ferry coming back.  

I bet 90% on this board support Ferry coming back.

Definitely. That's why I said 'some'. But yeah, he deserves to be brought back. I understand it's easy to fully credit Bud and Koonin with putting our franchise back on the map but I refuse to forget that it ALL started with Danny.

When has 90% of any fanbase been right about anything?

Also, I'd bet you'd be surprised at who actually would support Ferry being back.  I, for one, actually would.  I just don't think he has to be back for us to have success.

When has 90% of any fanbase been right about anything?

Also, I'd bet you'd be surprised at who actually would support Ferry being back. I, for one, actually would. I just don't think he has to be back for us to have success.

Sure he doesn't have to be brought back to continue our success. But for all the years we have suffered with finding a GM like him, and then just to write him off for a small mistake like he made (and has more than paid for), I just think for him not to be brought back is completely asinine. Of course they will say it is for basketball reasons but we all know that is not the case. And no, I will not be on 'suicide watch' if this is what ends up happening. But a new GM would never have had a franchise delivered to him on a silver platter like he will with what Danny has setup for him. Hopefully he doesn't F it up like so many of them do.

• Like 2