• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Monta Ellis wants to be a Hawk

JETSET

Pretending? If I were gonna pretend to like an NBA team I would definitely not choose one with a rich history of winning like the Hawks have. Oh never mind.

Yes the shame.. Why waste your time? Just follow Shrek to Duloc Donkey.

The Dallas Mavericks have decided to move on without shooting guard Monta Ellis, the man who led them in scoring and moodiness last season.

It's up to last summer's prized addition,Chandler Parsons -- as a player and a recruiter -- to prove that this is a smart move.

The uncomfortable truth is that the Ellis-Parsons pairing just wasn't a good fit, on or off the court. The Mavs came to a couple of realizations toward the end of last season. First, to have any hope of keeping Ellis happy, they'd have to give him a contract at least as large as the three-year, $46 million deal Parsons signed last summer. Second, for Parsons to really earn his paychecks, Ellis had to go.

Ellis, who informed the Mavs of his decision to opt out of the final season of his deal Wednesday morning, scored like a go-to guy but wanted nothing to do with the rest of the responsibilities that come along with that role. As a result, the Mavs wanted nothing to do with paying Ellis like a premier player, preferring to use the cap space created in part by his departure to remodel the roster around Parsons.

The Mavs have always envisioned Parsons as a point forward. It just wasn't possible to feature him in that role with Ellis on the other wing.

That's because Ellis needs the ball in his hands possession after possession after possession. Just ask the Golden State Warriors, who wisely chose Stephen Curry over Ellis a few years ago when it became clear that the two guards couldn't co-exist on a contender.

The Dallas Mavericks have decided to move on without shooting guard Monta Ellis, the man who led them in scoring and moodiness last season.

It's up to last summer's prized addition,Chandler Parsons -- as a player and a recruiter -- to prove that this is a smart move.

The uncomfortable truth is that the Ellis-Parsons pairing just wasn't a good fit, on or off the court. The Mavs came to a couple of realizations toward the end of last season. First, to have any hope of keeping Ellis happy, they'd have to give him a contract at least as large as the three-year, $46 million deal Parsons signed last summer. Second, for Parsons to really earn his paychecks, Ellis had to go.

Ellis, who informed the Mavs of his decision to opt out of the final season of his deal Wednesday morning, scored like a go-to guy but wanted nothing to do with the rest of the responsibilities that come along with that role. As a result, the Mavs wanted nothing to do with paying Ellis like a premier player, preferring to use the cap space created in part by his departure to remodel the roster around Parsons.

The Mavs have always envisioned Parsons as a point forward. It just wasn't possible to feature him in that role with Ellis on the other wing.

That's because Ellis needs the ball in his hands possession after possession after possession. Just ask the Golden State Warriors, who wisely chose Stephen Curry over Ellis a few years ago when it became clear that the two guards couldn't co-exist on a contender.

@atlhawks1 The number 1 reason why we shouldn't go after Ellis. 

@atlhawks1 The number 1 reason why we shouldn't go after Ellis.

I just want to say looking back at all of this my opinion on Ellis is strongly favored towards my belief in coach Bud so if I made anyone mad you will have to excuse my homerism towards our coach. Bud is some kind of f*ckin basketball genius to me and I understand Ellis problems but I just have a strong feeling that bud can change him!......."you know how those young girls always keep getting back with the same bad ass guy who keeps treating her wrong time after time but she keeps telling her friends and family that she can change them? Lol"......well that's how I feel about coach Bud if he has his eye set on certain players. Trust me I know Ellis's weaknesses but if reports are true and Bud wants to get this damn kid because he thinks Ellis fits and that he can make him a better player I'm going to believe that until proven otherwise!

I know it sounds like I'm on coach buds sack but that's my new beliefs about this franchise since he has taken over. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for a huge upset in the future.

Edited by JTB

JTB - I understand what you are saying - but I think you have it exactly backwards.  Bud doesn't want to deal with any "me guys" (my guess)...and as coach of the year he doesn't have to.

Sure, Bud wants talent, but not at the expense of problems in the locker room.

We have to accept the fact that we may very well be "Spurs South", and we may have to hang in there as a winning team but not a team that goes to the Championship round for a year or two until Lebron plays out and starts to fade.

That beats h#ll out of what we were.

I doubt that many on this forum would disagree that at some point Coach Bud will be the coach of an NBA Championship team.  He will...eventually.

Edited by DJlaysitup

JTB - I understand what you are saying - but I think you have it exactly backwards. Bud doesn't want to deal with any "me guys" (my guess)...and as coach of the year he doesn't have to.

Sure, Bud wants talent, but not at the expense of problems in the locker room.

We have to accept the fact that we may very well be "Spurs South", and we may have to hang in there as a winning team but not a team that goes to the Championship round for a year or two until Lebron plays out and starts to fade.

That beats h#ll out of what we were.

I doubt that many on this forum would disagree that at some point Coach Bud will be the coach of an NBA Championship team. He will...eventually.

Yeah I get that I'm sure if Ellis comes off as a "me" guy to bud then he won't pursue him. I'm just saying "in case" Ellis ends up on this team somehow I won't be hanging my head cause obviously it would be buds decision since he's coach and president of this organization.

I guess I'm confused on why someone would hate Ellis so much IF our coach of the year wants him. I am going to hold my judgement until I see how bud uses him on the court.

But again I'm not pushing hard for Ellis I'm shocked I posted so much in this thread! Ellis is not at the top of my list for the Hawks I just think he can be signed for cheap....gasol and Aldridge is really who I want to see the Hawks pursue but that's a pipe dream unfortunately.

I guess if Carroll leaves for the money, he takes the money set aside for Carroll and Korver slides back to SF?

That's why moving up in this draft is important

I can't think of a wing player that this team could add that doesn't bring something questionable to the table. 

Green can't even dribble. He's a three and d player with limited athleticism and shot creation.

Wesley Matthews wants too much money (15 mil per year) and is coming off a big injury.

Folks already broke down Monta although I don't necessarily agree with him being a bad acquisition.

Who else am I missing?

I just want to say looking back at all of this my opinion on Ellis is strongly favored towards my belief in coach Bud so if I made anyone mad you will have to excuse my homerism towards our coach. Bud is some kind of f*ckin basketball genius to me and I understand Ellis problems but I just have a strong feeling that bud can change him!......."you know how those young girls always keep getting back with the same bad ass guy who keeps treating her wrong time after time but she keeps telling her friends and family that she can change them? Lol"......well that's how I feel about coach Bud if he has his eye set on certain players. Trust me I know Ellis's weaknesses but if reports are true and Bud wants to get this damn kid because he thinks Ellis fits and that he can make him a better player I'm going to believe that until proven otherwise!

I know it sounds like I'm on coach buds sack but that's my new beliefs about this franchise since he has taken over. Hopefully I'm not setting myself up for a huge upset in the future.

Ellis had a Championship coach in Dallas, a great owner, a hall of fame superstar and championship winner in Dirk who is a cool dude and was willing to defer and Ellis is still high maintenance. I have faith in Bud but he can't fix that 10 cent head with the million dollar talent and malcontent, he's not a miracle worker. Edited by JayBirdHawk

I guess if Carroll leaves for the money, he takes the money set aside for Carroll and Korver slides back to SF?

NO, NO, NO - Korver is not a starting SF, I want no part of Korver being our starting SF again (I shudder remembering Lou @ SG and KK @ SF).

This is also a problem:

"First, to have any hope of keeping Ellis happy, they'd have to give him a contract at least as large as the three-year, $46 million deal Parsons signed last summer."

There is a reason the Bucks and Mavs just let Monta walk.

He is a TERRIBLE fit here.  Putting up stats doesn't make you a good player

How many championships have the Hawks won WITH players who have fit????????

Edited by atlhawks1

More of what the Hawks couldve used in their half court capoots in the playoffs:

2akigzc.gif

12-3MontaNoDribble.0.gif

You can show all the offensive videos you want still doesn't negate the fact that he is a problem child who wants too much money.

Sources said Ellis was genuinely uncomfortable with the three-year, $46 million free agent contract the Mavs signed Parsons to last summer. And that was one of the reasons why Ellis decided Wednesday to opt out of the final year of his contract with the Mavs. Ellis wanted Chandler Parsons money.

You can show all the offensive videos you want still doesn't negate the fact that he is a problem child who wants too much money.

Sources said Ellis was genuinely uncomfortable with the three-year, $46 million free agent contract the Mavs signed Parsons to last summer. And that was one of the reasons why Ellis decided Wednesday to opt out of the final year of his contract with the Mavs. Ellis wanted Chandler Parsons money.

And thats WHY the Hawks trophy case is STILL empty......

Big boy organizations just WIN. new england patroits, dallas cowboys, the lakers signing trouble man " metta world", etc. those organizations have CHIPS because they know that you have to get the best, to be the best..........If Atlanta cant bring a Ellis into the fold and Coach him up into doing right, then just maybe the Hawks organization isnt up to snuff with organizations that CAN get the best out of players, like the ones i just mentioned.......The falcons have that SAME thing going on with them, and its produced the same thing as the Hawks............

Falcons_Trophy_Case.jpg

h1191.jpg

Edited by atlhawks1

And thats WHY the Hawks trophy case is STILL empty......

Big boy organizations just WIN. new england patroits, dallas cowboys, the lakers signing trouble man " metta world", etc. those organizations have CHIPS because they know that you have to get the best, to be the best..........If Atlanta cant bring a Ellis into the fold and Coach him up into doing right, then just maybe the Hawks organization isnt up to snuff with organizations that CAN get the best out of players, like the ones i just mentioned.......

h1191.jpg

What's Monta done to be the best - get traded from GSW, Milwaukee and now Dallas---oookay.