• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Really believe that we have to drop out of the draft.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I don't know if we keep our first tonight.

I know we all have drooled over some of these young guys.. but financially, I don't see us sticking to that plan.

If we keep the pick or if we trade the pick, there will be a trade tonight!

Maybe Scott + 15 for 11.  That gives us a big savings.  I like Scott, however, financial, something has to move.  Especially with us drawing significant interest on the FA market.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't know if we keep our first tonight.

I know we all have drooled over some of these young guys.. but financially, I don't see us sticking to that plan.

If we keep the pick or if we trade the pick, there will be a trade tonight!

Maybe Scott + 15 for 11.  That gives us a big savings.  I like Scott, however, financial, something has to move.  Especially with us drawing significant interest on the FA market.

I don't understand

• Moderators

I don't understand

Diesel is envisioning us signing Aldridge or some other high priced free agent and then getting rid of our pick or one or more role players like Scott, Mack, etc. so we have more room to sign other free agents.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I don't think you get rid of a draft pick if you want to manage your resources.  Draft picks are cheap players and the most frequent great values in the league.  Getting rid of your picks to create cap room is penny-wise, pound-foolish to the extreme.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Diesel is envisioning us signing Aldridge or some other high priced free agent and then getting rid of our pick or one or more role players like Scott, Mack, etc. so we have more room to sign other free agents.

We have numerous cap holds that we can renounce...Also isn't the Austin Daye contract non guaranteed?

• Premium Member

I don't think you get rid of a draft pick if you want to manage your resources.  Draft picks are cheap players and the most frequent great values in the league.  Getting rid of your picks to create cap room is penny-wise, pound-foolish to the extreme.

It's not about going after other free agents.  Just keeping our own FAs will be difficult.   If we sign Millsap to EB max, we're left with about 8 million (a little less) to resign DMC with cap money...

If we sign either Gasol or Aldridge, we have no cap money left...  we'd have to use MLE to sign a Swingman (SF).

Now, I get that we can take a Portis or a Clayburn or a Kaminski to help us out but I don't know if that's more help than signing a good swingman like DMC and using the MLE to sign antoher player.

I watched the NBATV mock draft.  The DA was laughing about us keeping the pick.  I hate to agree, but I have to agree. IF we keep the pick, we're basically going to have to take an MLE SF.

• Premium Member

We have numerous cap holds that we can renounce...Also isn't the Austin Daye contract non guaranteed?

Just DMC, Brand, Sap, and Jenkins.

Plus, what way is Bud going to go with Antić?  He's RFA and he's going to make more than the 1.5 we're paying him now.

Too much cheap value at 15 this year to pass on. But I do love the Scott/15th for 11th scenario. Stanley Johnson or Myles Turner could be All-Stars under Bud.

Edited by hazer

• Premium Member

Too much cheap value at 15 this year to pass on. But I do love the Scott/15th for 11th scenario. Stanley Johnson and Myles Turner could be All-Stars under Bud.

Not sold on Myles Turner.  Work ethic issues.

The move to 11 makes sense because you get a shot at better players and you save cap space.

• Premium Member

Just DMC, Brand, Sap, and Jenkins.

Plus, what way is Bud going to go with Antić?  He's RFA and he's going to make more than the 1.5 we're paying him now.

Nope...We also have Ayón, Pero, and a non guaranteed contract for Austin Daye

• Premium Member

I agree, all things being equal. What makes this situation a bit different to me is that I see a talent plateau where we're currently situated, and do ourselves no favors to stay at this slot when we could both save a few hundred thousand dollars and also acquire some other asset.

Where there is a will there is a way.Cleveland last year hardly had any cap space but managed to get Love,Mozgov,Shumpert, JR,Delly. Besides if the same team comes back plus Schröder everyone else is Jags. Get rid of salary on the bench their replaceable. What the Hawks need is a cap guru who can find ways to create room. Some how the teams we always hear about on ESPN talking about (teams that win consistently and vy for championships) manage to get the players they want. Why can't that be the Hawks. I mean we have no players making max and here is a team like Cleveland has lebron,had love, Thompson getting a big raise,resigned Mozgov, rumored to maybe get Wade or some other star yet the Hawks have to be worried about just trying to keep one guy who might make max? Yes Horford is due next year but the cap increases alot, Teague is underpaid at 8 million ....I mean it just doesn't add up Hawks have to struggle to keep not even top 10 players in the game.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

It's not about going after other free agents. Just keeping our own FAs will be difficult. If we sign Millsap to EB max, we're left with about 8 million (a little less) to resign DMC with cap money...

My understanding is that if we sign Millsap to the EB max we just have his cap hold and not his new Daley on the books until he signs. So we can go over the cap to sign him. This we will have more than 8mil under the cap to sign DMC. Fanatic did a good write up on this a while back.

Only in your own mind Diesel. 

Getting Oubre, Turner, Hunter, Dekker or whoever is better than clearing space for no damn reason. You trade Scott when you got one of those guys, not because you want the chance to get them. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Where there is a will there is a way.Cleveland last year hardly had any cap space but managed to get Love,Mozgov,Shumpert, JR,Delly. Besides if the same team comes back plus Schröder everyone else is Jags. Get rid of salary on the bench their replaceable. What the Hawks need is a cap guru who can find ways to create room. Some how the teams we always hear about on ESPN talking about (teams that win consistently and vy for championships) manage to get the players they want. Why can't that be the Hawks. I mean we have no players making max and here is a team like Cleveland has lebron,had love, Thompson getting a big raise,resigned Mozgov, rumored to maybe get Wade or some other star yet the Hawks have to be worried about just trying to keep one guy who might make max? Yes Horford is due next year but the cap increases alot, Teague is underpaid at 8 million ....I mean it just doesn't add up Hawks have to struggle to keep not even top 10 players in the game.

You haven't realized??

The rules don't apply to Cleveland.  I looked into How Cleveland was able to make those moves. It doesn't make sense.  I believe that the League just gives them whatever they want.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My understanding is that if we sign Millsap to the EB max we just have his cap hold and not his new Daley on the books until he signs. So we can go over the cap to sign him. This we will have more than 8mil under the cap to sign DMC. Fanatic did a good write up on this a while back.

From before.

IF we were to get Sap to agree to the EBMax and let John Jenkins go....

We would have 9.305 Million to spend on FA and 1st round pick. 

So here's the Magic Numbers.  IF that's all we do and we keep the first rounder....

7.759 Million to spend on a Free Agent.

If we dump the first ,

we have 9.305 Million to spend of a FA

If we dump the first and Mike Scott, we have:

12.638 million to spend on a Free Agent

• Premium Member

Work ethic issues??? Said by no one who's seen him play ever. 

That's what they talked about on NBATV.

Also here...

Work Ethic/Mentality-Portis takes the cake here. Turner has shown to be brutally inconsistent in his first year displaying a Roy Hibbertesque mindset. Its hard to call him out on it yet even harder not to notice. Meanwhile Portis battles on every possession and seems very confident. Portis reminds me of Tournament basketball.

Given the choice, I would take Portis over Turner.

You haven't realized??

The rules don't apply to Cleveland.  I looked into How Cleveland was able to make those moves. It doesn't make sense.  I believe that the League just gives them whatever they want.

Well at least we are on the same page. Hard to beat teams that have an unfair advantage.