The Official Hawks Summer League Thread

NBASupes

Greg Smith is a tenacious rebounder. Saw a few Rox games and he came up big in Dwight's absence. He seems undersized but one of those dudes that's rugged enough to play center and bang with the big boys. I want to say he put up double digit rebounding numbers for a few games straight 2 seasons ago but too lazy to check stats. I hope he makes it.

Greg Smith is a tenacious rebounder. Saw a few Rox games and he came up big in Dwight's absence. He seems undersized but one of those dudes that's rugged enough to play center and bang with the big boys. I want to say he put up double digit rebounding numbers for a few games straight 2 seasons ago but too lazy to check stats. I hope he makes it.

He could finish everything and he was a beast on the Def rebs. The issue was his range is well...

He his oRtg and dRtg was always high. He moves really well without the basketball but he seriously lacks range and is a tweener between PF/C.

He could finish everything and he was a beast on the Def rebs. The issue was his range is well...

He his oRtg and dRtg was always high. He moves really well without the basketball but he seriously lacks range and is a tweener between PF/C.

Yup...his shooting seemed like his major weakness. I'm kind of surprised he's not on a regular roster though.

I like this roster.

Ashley has potential to be a NBA prospect in a couple of years. I think he needs some time in the D-League to figure out what his niche will be but he has potential.

Bellas is a true PG. He is getting looks from Read Madrid. He reminds me of Jose Calderon, just not as big, skilled or as good of a passer. With that said, Calderon is a NBA starter, Bellas plays in a mid tier club in Spain.

Don't know Davis.

Horford was a decent college player. The NBA or even the D-League might be a reach for him at this moment. Might be someone who can play in Macedonia or Lebanon but high level Spain or Turkey is also a reach.

I liked Holt last year as a SG. I think the world of him. If we had a D-League team, I want him on the roster. Not a NBA player but he's not far from a John Jenkins.

Kane was one of my favorite college players a year ago. He needed some polish but he really can be a solid backup PG in the NBA w/ development. He could be a dominate D-Leaguer right now. Not sure that's what he wants but he's a potential baller.

I don't know McKinney-Jones.

Abe Millsap was an average HS player who was a benchwarming college player. He's on this roster because his big bro got them connects in the org. I ain't mad tho. It is what it is.

Moser was a dynamo last year for Boston SL. He really has NBA talent is a potential 3/D guy. I really think he was the last cut for Boston and he played in Europe with mixed results. He is one player I want to see us take to the next level. He could be a potential starter in the NBA with development.

Mike is Mike.

Lamar played average in SL last time but he had a lot of success in Europe. He is someone we want to see shine so he can be our 6th wing player. W/ THJr, Korver, Thabo, Baze and FA/trade wing, he has a shot to make the squad.

I am looking forward to seeing Terran, he has NBA backup potential and he fits our system. I am watching him closely.

Greg Smith- Decent role playing big. Surprise we were able to land him. He actually is a talented player who has some success in the NBA. Might be someone to add to the roster or at least training camp. We will have some slots.

You know how I feel about Edy. Nuff said.

I don't know Turner well. I seen him in college a couple of times but I forgot.

I like the depth, the fits and the talent this year. A couple stinkers on the roster but most of these guys have a shot to make the roster. Will they is unlikely but they have a shot.

Hey Supes, thanks for taking the time to break all of that down for us.  Great job.  Now I don't feel quite as clueless when I look at the roster - LOL.

• Like 1

When the Hawks open play in the Las Vegas Summer League Friday night there will be several things to watch from the group of 15 players who will participate in the tournament.

Here are five:

1. Tavares and Patterson return

Second-round draft picks Edy Tavares and Lamar Patterson will both play after spending last season overseas.

Tavares, the 7-foot-3 center, is intriguing. He signed a contract with the Hawks last week after turning down lucrative offers to remain in Europe and will come to training camp. Playing 57 games for Gran Canaria in Spain’s ACB League and the Eurocup, Tavares averaged 8.3 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in 22.1 minutes. He shot 63.5 percent (197 of 310) from two-point range. It will be interesting to see how the 23-year old competes against this level of competition and how NBA-ready he may be.

Patterson, the 6-5 guard/forward, spent last season playing for Tofas Bursa in Turkey. In 29 games, he averaged 11.2 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.2 assists in 28.0 minutes. He shot 50 percent for the field, including 35.3 percent from 3-point range. Patterson has been working out in Atlanta and is down to 218 pounds, something the Hawks set as a goal in his season abroad. The Hawks may well have a roster spot for a wing player next season.

1. Muscala back

Mike Muscala will play a third year in summer league – something not required of the forward/center. Muscala has showed continue improvement in his two seasons with the Hawks after being a second-round pick. He appeared in 40 games last season and averaged 4.9 points and 3.0 rebounds in 12.6 minutes. He has improved his 3-point shooting and made a huge long-range basket in the playoff series against the Wizards.

Muscala figures to have a bigger role this year with the departures of Elton Brand and Pero Antić. With the Hawks adding Tiago Splitter and Tavares, summer league could be a chance for Muscala to play more power forward and provide depth behind Paul Millsap.

1. Smith worth a look

The Hawks have brought Greg Smith, a veteran of four NBA seasons, to Las Vegas. The 6-10 power forward played three seasons with the Rockets and last season with the Mavericks. In 42 games last year, Smith averaged 1.9 points and 1.9 rebounds. The 24-year old may still have undeveloped potential that makes him worth a longer look a position the Hawks could use some depth. Arizona’s Brandon Ashley is another player to watch here.

1. On the wing

The Hawks will use summer league to get a look at several others who may compete for a job on the wing. Nebraska’s Terran Petteway is a player the Hawks like a lot. The 6-6 guard/forward went undrafted after averaging 18.1 points and 4.8 rebounds last season as a junior. Including in the group is guard Stephen Holt, who played with the Hawks’ summer league entry last season and impressed. He ended up playing in the NBA Development League for Canton. Josh Davis, who was with the Spurs organization, will also play.

1. Brother watch

The Hawks invited Jon Horford, brother of center Al Horford, and Abraham Millsap, brother of forward Paul Millsap, to summer league. Horford went undrafted out of Florida. Millsap played for the Hawks’ entry last season. Both are long shots but it will be fun to watch how they play and where the next step of their career takes them.

SCHEDULE

Friday: Hawks vs. Nuggets, 8 p.m., Cox Pavilion

Sunday: Hawks vs. Warriors, 8:30 p.m., Thomas and Mack Center

Monday: Hawks vs. D-League, 6 p.m., Cox Pavilion.

The seeded portion of the tournament begins July 15

All times are Eastern

http://atlantahawks.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/08/hawks-at-summer-league-five-things-to-watch/

• Moderators

OT, but nice game today from our old friend Keith Benson. He's on the Magic Black/Blue/Silver/White team, or whatever they're calling it.

His highlight of blocking Aaron Harrison's dunk try is making the rounds.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/07/08/keith-benson-obliterated-an-aaron-harrison-dunk-attempt-in-summer-league/

~lw3

Smith is actually a pretty decent reminder. Not much of anything else though. I doubt he makes the team.

He's a reminder and defender!! Lol

I think he's got a lotta heart.

Don't lose your money, I still got a jumpshot. I did have a cup of coffee playing college ball.

I'd love a shootout with you...are you west coast?