• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft Reactions

AHF

2015 Draft Reaction  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I feel like I have to reiterate the fact that I actually like Tim Hardaway Jr... but for the Hawks to draft the exact player that I have been coveting for months only to trade him to a division rival less than a minute later is absolutely devastating.

I am on board that this is a solid move. There were several players I thought we had a shot at but they were gone before 15. Even though I like Oubre's athletic ability, he did not show me anything at Kansas and I see him as possibly ending up being a Aminu type player. I honestly think if Ourbre had a chance at being Leonard like, Bud would have saw that too.

The real good prospects were gone by 15. I like the move for Hardaway.

• Premium Member

People Coveting Oubre.  How is he different than any other Kansas Sf?

Xavier Henry, Brandon Rush, Keith Langford, Travis Releford,  And Wiggins.

Wiggins being the exception, these guys always come into the draft as great... But as pros... Not so great.

It boils down to we got a product that was closer to ready than a midrounder.  He has to prove himself.  Bud will coach him.  IF he doesn't stack up, we don't have to hold on to him like we did with Jenkins.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Definitely not on board with this trade...THjr is the kind of player that you could get for the MLE as a free agent.  The Move was too short sighted with the though in mind that somehow THJr would somehow help us get over the hump.  I know a lot of people will bring up our draft history to build a case for not selecting Oubre but if one of those players selected after14 becomes an all Star, we will look back on this moment like we've done so many times in the past.

Edited by Peoriabird

People Coveting Oubre.  How is he different than any other Kansas Sf?

Xavier Henry, Brandon Rush, Keith Langford, Travis Releford,  And Wiggins.

Wiggins being the exception, these guys always come into the draft as great... But as pros... Not so great.

It boils down to we got a product that was closer to ready than a midrounder.  He has to prove himself.  Bud will coach him.  IF he doesn't stack up, we don't have to hold on to him like we did with Jenkins.

Rush was a successful SF in the NBA. He had a long solid career. Wiggins can be a superstar. The other guys simply weren't good enough. 

Definitely not on board with his trade...This is the kind of player that you could get for the MLE as a free agent. The Move was too short sighted with the though in mind that somehow THJr would somehow help us get over the hump. I know a lot of people will bring up our draft history to build a case for not selecting Oubre but if one of those players selected after14 becomes an all Star, we will look back on this moment like we've done so many times in the past.

Question:

1. Why would we pay the MLE for this kind of player when we can pay $1.3

2. How is it short sighted? He's still a young player to groom with NBA experience. Same question apllies: Was Oubre going to put us over the top next season?

3. Only time will tell what the players will be - We can look back then.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Tipping point for me is that we DO get SOME additional asset beyond a 23 year-old wing with two years experience that our braintrust thinks can develop into something better. If it were just the player, nothing else, my inclination would be to invest in one of my guys--Dekker, Portis, Anderson or Grant. But history says that, first in San Antonio and now in Atlanta, Bud's teams actually turn 2nd rounders into contributors with some regularity.

That's why I'm happy... no, scratch that, not "happy," but "content"... with that wing and two second rounders.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Question:

1. Why would we pay the MLE for this kind of player when we can pay $1.3

2. How is it short sighted? He's still a young player to groom with NBA experience. Same question apllies: Was Oubre going to put us over the top next season?

3. Only time will tell what the players will be - We can look back then.

My point is that THjr and Oubre my give you similar production next season but Oubre's as well as others ceilings are probably higher than THjr

I like the move, liked Hardaway his rookie year. Sure he's a defensive dog, but it isn't like he doesn't have the tools and athleticism to be a solid one.

He's more valuable than 3 players on the roster in Jenkins, Brand, and Daye. Certainly more valuable than an unknown rookie commodity. Contrary to Jalen Rose's silly player comparisons, these rookies don't magically turn into those players in a year or two. I dont know how Jr. can't be seen as an overall upgrade to the team.

• Like 1

oubre has a lot of talent and just needs to be coached- well we just so happen to have a fantastic coach....thjr, was a malcontent in new york, plays no d, is a low percentage chucker, doesn't have the upside that oubre has, probably could have had him at the trade deadline this season for second rounders, and if carrol leaves for more money, oubre would have been a sf to fill in....don't like this trade at all

will be ecstatic to be proven wrong though

• Premium Member

Draft Grades

A - Miami Heat and New York Knicks

Pat Riley and Phil Jackson are smart. Justise Winslow is the most likely future MVP and Riley got him with the 10 pick. There have been 4 other wings taken at #10 since 1998: Paul Pierce, Joe Johnson, Caron Butler, and Paul George. The odds seem ever in his favor. Riley doubled down by taking the top sleeper in Josh Richardson with the 40th pick. Jackson took a great long-term prospect with a perfect disposition for New York. The Jerian Grant pick-up at 19 was perfect for New York. Start the Jerianity. There is a reason Riley and Jackson have 318 rings between them.

My point is that THjr and Oubre my give you similar production next season but Oubre's as well as others ceilings are probably higher than THjr

I don't think that Oubre would see the floor next season - I saw lots of time in DL. Only time will tell regarding their ceilings.

• Premium Member

I don't think that Oubre would see the floor next season - I saw lots of time in DL. Only time will tell regarding their ceilings.

Oubre was just one example...there were many other drafted that could have had the same impact as THjr.  Just saying

I answered good value for several reasons:

1.) More then 1/2 the players drafted at pick 19, or later, are worse then Tim Hardaway Jr.

2.) He is only 6 months older then the rookie we traded away. He still has upside and we protect ourselves against drafting a total flop.

3.) Contract Timing - He will be a free agent in 2017 when the salary cap will balloon to over $100 mil. This is when multiple Hall of Famers will be unrestricted free agents.

4. I believe he will be a better player in our system, with our roster, than he was in NY.

All that being said............there is a chance that Jerian Grant will be a better player then Tim Hardaway, Jr. However, that was not the question.

I would have personally drafted Justin Anderson at pick #19. However, that was not the question.

Edited by coachx

Oubre was just one example...there were many other drafted that could have had the same impact as THjr. Just saying

COULD - but no guarantee, if you're talking about the SAME impact as THJR, why not go with the one that you at least know will give it to you as opposed to a rookie gamble?

I understand wanting the shiny new toy that's gift wrapped and the fun is unwrapping it as opposed to someone handing you a toy without any wrapping.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

All that being said............there is a chance that Jerian Grant will be a better player then Tim Hardaway, Jr. However, that was not the question.

I would have personally drafted Justin Anderson at pick #19. However, that was not the question.

Comparing Hardaway against the guys that were available to us kind of was the first question:

How do you like Tim Hardaway Jr. compared to players available at #15?

Grant and Anderson were both available at #15.  If you think we took less value in THJ than Anderson was worth, well that was what I was inartfully looking to see.  Maybe I should not have referenced the gamble of the draft in the answer.  

I'll try to do better next poll!

I feel the same way about Hardaway as i did when we got Korver. More or less wth! Same with the Carroll signing. That is enough evidence to show me the Hawks' braintrust knows a hell of a lot more about how guys will play in the Bud system.

At this point, i'm still on the fence with the trade, but if Hardaway is a rookie contract so let's let him develop as if we drafted him!

By the by, those claiming malcontent status for THJr should understand the situation in NY before throwing their stones. The Knicks have horrid player leadership, coaching and worse management. Any guy who takes pride in what he does would be ticked off by that hot mess that are the Knicks. Second, Hardaway went after a loligaging Anthony and rightly so.  

• Like 2