• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft Reactions

AHF

2015 Draft Reaction  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm ok with the trade, but I didn't like Oubre  anyway.  My complaint though was the second round picks.   Yeah - we likely get nobody, but at least if a guy shows up you have a chance.  We have examples like Moose and Mike Scott, Mack of guys who have contributed.  They are certainly better than all those guys stashed away in Neverland.  Trading 15 for 19 to get two second rounders is ok (just going by numbers) but you can't then continually throw away the 2nd round picks. (At least we didn't throw away the No. 4 pick like NY)

As for THJr being disgruntled in NY.  I'd be more worried if he was happy there.

• Moderators

I feel the same way about Hardaway as i did when we got Korver. More or less wth! Same with the Carroll signing. That is enough evidence to show me the Hawks' braintrust knows a hell of a lot more about how guys will play in the Bud system.

At this point, i'm still on the fence with the trade, but if Hardaway is a rookie contract so let's let him develop as if we drafted him!

By the by, those claiming malcontent status for THJr should understand the situation in NY before throwing their stones. The Knicks have horrid player leadership, coaching and worse management. Any guy who takes pride in what he does would be ticked off by that hot mess that are the Knicks. Second, Hardaway went after a loligaging Anthony and rightly so.  

I'm not bothered by the malcontent issue at all.  It is the total lack of defense and last year's poor shooting that leave me scratching my head combined with the economics of giving up two low cost years under team control.

Comparing Hardaway against the guys that were available to us kind of was the first question:

Grant and Anderson were both available at #15.  If you think we took less value in THJ than Anderson was worth, well that was what I was inartfully looking to see.  Maybe I should not have referenced the gamble of the draft in the answer.  

I'll try to do better next poll!

I don't think its that simple. There can be multiple options that could be viewed as good value for a specific draft position. 

There is a chance that Justin Anderson will never be as a good as Tim Hardaway Jr. There is value in removing that risk from the equation. There is also value in that Korver is 34 years old and we need a young SG on the roster who we know is ready play.

Hardaway, Jr. threw up 23 points against us at the end of the season. We have seen what he can do at the NBA level, against our own players, in real games. We have seen him survive in a toxic atmosphere in NYC with the Knicks with 2 coaches in 2 years (including a rookie coach trying to install the triangle offense). At least we know he can acclimate himself to NBA life and produce.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I don't think its that simple. There could be multiple options that could view as good value for a specific draft position. 

There is a chance that Justin Anderson will never be as a good as Tim Hardaway Jr. There is value in removing that risk from the equation. There is also value in that Korver is 34 years old and we need a young SG on the roster who we know is ready play.

Hardaway, Jr. threw up 23 points against us at the end of the season. We have seen what he can do at the NBA level against our own players in real games. We have seen him survive in a toxic atmosphere in NYC with the Knicks. At least we know he can acclimate himself to NBA life and produce.

Fair enough.  If he produces like he did last season, though, that isn't much more value than we could get from the NBADL.

Fair enough.  If he produces like he did last season, though, that isn't much more value than we could get from the NBADL.

Most players improve after the season in which they are 22 years old. I'm worried about a guy his age not improving.

Edited by coachx

He made the 1st team All NBA Rookie team in 2014. I don't think many NBADL guys could pull that off.

Its not like he is the chopped liver you make him out to be.

• Moderators

He made the 1st team All NBA Rookie team in 2014. I don't think many NBADL guys could pull that off.

Its not like he is the chopped liver you make him out to be.

Shelden was an NBA Rookie of the Month.  Not many NBADL guys can pull that off.  The lack of growth last year (read: violent regression) worries me.  

I haven't written him off despite what the tone of my posts conveys.  I am just not super optimistic and I had big hopes that we would capture a guy we could build around for the future ala Teague, Dennis, etc. in this draft and now those hopes are dashed.  And I feel like we overpaid New York for him.  We should have gotten something else if we were giving the #19 pick.

Edited by AHF

What draft did the Hawks have again? I don't consider trading for a selfish, inefficient, no defense playing, chucking player a draft. I also don't consider taking two players who will never sniff the league a draft.

So I can't comment on the Hawks draft.

I feel the same way about Hardaway as i did when we got Korver. More or less wth! Same with the Carroll signing. That is enough evidence to show me the Hawks' braintrust knows a hell of a lot more about how guys will play in the Bud system.

At this point, i'm still on the fence with the trade, but if Hardaway is a rookie contract so let's let him develop as if we drafted him!

By the by, those claiming malcontent status for THJr should understand the situation in NY before throwing their stones. The Knicks have horrid player leadership, coaching and worse management. Any guy who takes pride in what he does would be ticked off by that hot mess that are the Knicks. Second, Hardaway went after a loligaging Anthony and rightly so.  

I remember well the scrub name calling on this board when we got Korver, Carroll, and Thabo.

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators

I loved the outcome of this draft and feel the Knicks fans will be crying in their beers when THJr becomes a great player for us. I wanted him in 2013 and now he's a Hawk. Love it.

Any player we would have taken at 15 or 19 would have been a project anyway, so trading for a player that already has 2 seasons under his belt speaks that the Hawks are looking to win now.

Loved THJ his rookie year, thought he would develop into a solid number 2 or 3 for NY but things just didn't go that way. Now that could be bc of the toxic environment that was NY or it could be that he just didn't put in the work after that good rookie year. Either way I feel that we could be good for him just like he could be good for us. This kid has good size with a damn good jumper and decent athleticism. He took bad shots in NY but who didn't? He will learn how to win here and be more efficient here just like pretty much every other player we have except Pero. He will either play defense here or he won't play, simple. I think the kid will do well here. Expecting him to be decent this year but next year I think he could really flourish

Fair enough. If he produces like he did last season, though, that isn't much more value than we could get from the NBADL.

Way better team.

Way better coach.

Way better offense and defense system.

Added with his heart, desire, work ethic to become better, the fact that he is coachable.

Equals to a better performance next season...almost guaranteed

I loved the outcome of this draft and feel the Knicks fans will be crying in their beers when THJr becomes a great player for us. I wanted him in 2013 and now he's a Hawk. Love it.

Any player we would have taken at 15 or 19 would have been a project anyway, so trading for a player that already has 2 seasons under his belt speaks that the Hawks are looking to win now.

Exactly ain't no rookie going to crack the starting lineup on a 60 win team....nor is a rookie going to be that impactful to a point where he would be the difference as far as the team advancing further next season

• Moderators

Exactly ain't no rookie going to crack the starting lineup on a 60 win team....nor is a rookie going to be that impactful to a point where he would be the difference as far as the team advancing further next season

Coming off a 61 win season, the Spurs used the fifteenth pick to select Kawhi Leonard who started for the Spurs his rookie year 2/3 of the time.

• Like 1

Remember Bud is putting together a team and how the egos fit together is important. Don't know that much about THjr in that regard but I trust Bud and we have strong leadership with our vets. If not we can trade him at the deadline

^^^^^^ this

The adjectives of the poll are too loaded for me to participate, I just can't silence my agendar in regards to them. I think you can see the value in the trade without feeling that it's otherworldly fantastic or question the return without feeling that it's devastatingly ugly.

• Premium Member

Rush was a successful SF in the NBA. He had a long solid career. Wiggins can be a superstar. The other guys simply weren't good enough. 

Rush??  Rush never lived up to the Hype.  His best output was 26 mpg, 9.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg.   Up until Wiggins, that program produced so-so pros.  I don't think that will change much with Ubre.

Coming off a 61 win season, the Spurs used the fifteenth pick to select Kawhi Leonard who started for the Spurs his rookie year 2/3 of the time.

Difference is the Spurs got the rookie they wanted with the trade, by all accounts the rookie that the Hawks wanted was no longer on the board, hence the trade.

Rush was a successful SF in the NBA. He had a long solid career. Wiggins can be a superstar. The other guys simply weren't good enough.

Rush? Long successful career?

He's been in the League 7 years, he was ok the 1st 3, the last 4 can't stay healthy.