• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Consolidated Discussion of FA SFs / Replacing DMC

capstone21

• Premium Member

I like more than I saw. His game does fit our offense but he going to need to become a 40% shooter and he needs to quicken his release.

Maybe he coud be useful on D, but 25% on jumpers is beyond repair. I mean, not even Player #5 is that bad! If all Jeff Taylor can do is cut to the basket, then I'd pass on him. There should be better options out there.

• Like 1

I hope one of these people that I've never or barely heard of is the answer. Seriously though, it's nice to have point guard and Front court depth for a change and worry about not having enough small forwards.

• Like 1

If we wait long enough can we get Brewer for 2.8? Or maybe clear cap for him? I feel that he can floruish in this system now that we have rim protection and reuniting with his friend Horford should help sway him.

Edited by GameTime

If we wait long enough can we get Brewer for 2.8? Or maybe clear cap for him? I feel that he can floruish in this system now that we have rim protection and reuniting with his friend Horford should help sway him.

With these crazy Free Agent deals we've seen over the past 48 hours, who really knows what his market could be?

• Like 1

NBA free agency produces surprises on a yearly basis. Teams pay a premium for talent and guys are routinely rewarded for their hard work and development. One of this year’s surprises is forward DeMarre Carroll, who agreed to terms with the Toronto Raptors on a four-year, $60 million deal early in free agency.

Carroll played the last two seasons in Atlanta on a two-year, $5 million deal and developed into one of the league’s best bargains in 2014 and 2015. Now the emerging forward heads to the Raptors as the team’s highest paid player, making more annually than All-Star guard Kyle Lowry and former All-Star DeMar DeRozan.

While life has gotten sweeter for Carroll, his departure has undoubtedly caused the Hawks to scramble for someone to help fill his void in the lineup.

However, the combination of trading for veteran center Tiago Splitter and All-Star forward Paul Millsap’s new deal, the Hawks find themselves with no cap space and only a room exception to utilize in bringing in any additional help on the wing.

Keep in mind the room exception starts at a base salary of $2.8 million in season one.

Here’s how the Hawks’ offseason has stacked up until this point:

Added: Tim Hardaway Jr., Tiago Splitter

Lost: DeMarre Carroll, Pero Antić

Retained: Paul Millsap

With little in the way of cap space and only armed with a room exception, let’s now take a look at some options who may fit what the Hawks are looking for and could land within their budget.

Wesley Johnson, 6’7, SF

2014-15 Salary: $915k

It’s easy to forget Johnson was the fourth overall pick in the 2010 draft and while he may never live up to the hype associated with a pick at that slot, he’s coming off consecutive solid campaigns with the rebuilding Los Angeles Lakers. Also consider the fact he’s knocked down 191 three-point shots over the past two seasons and has shown the willingness to defend. This could be a sneaky, bargain addition for Atlanta – on paper at least.

Jason Richardson, 6’6, SG/SF

2014-15 Salary: $5.6 million

Richardson missed the entire 2013-14 campaign with a knee injury, but managed to appear in 19 games for the Philadelphia 76ers last season. While his best days are clearly behind him, Richardson is a veteran with playoff experience, has connected on 37 percent of this career three-point attempts and may be looking to end his career with a team that has playoff potential.

Jeff Taylor, 6’7, SF
2014-15 Salary:
$915k

Taylor has played only 54 games the past two seasons, but showed promise in Charlotte as a rookie in 2013. A solid wing defender when healthy, Taylor is currently an unrestricted free agent looking for his next opportunity.

Alonzo Gee, 6’6, SF
2014-15 Salary:
$915k

Gee put together back-to-back double-digit scoring campaigns in 2012 and 2013 as a member of the Cleveland Cavaliers, but has bounced around the league since. Gee isn’t the best long-range shooter but has proven to be decent on the defensive end while proving in the past to be capable of handling extended minutes if called into action.

Tayshaun Prince, 6’9, SF
2014-15 Salary:
$7.7 million

Prince, 35, is a bit long in the tooth and nowhere near the defender he used to be in his prime, but if the Hawks are looking for a guy who won’t make waves in the locker room, has playoff experience, can knock down the open jumper and plays within his role, then Prince may be worth a look.

Caron Butler, 6’7, SF
2014-15 Salary:
$4.5 million

Butler, a former All-Star and 20-point scorer, is at the tail end of a solid career. He managed to play 78 games for Detroit this past season and registered 21 starts. Known for his character and never back down mentality, Butler is an experienced player who may be a short term plug to handle some of the minutes opened up by Carroll’s departure.

Dorell Wright, 6-7 200, SF
2014-15 Salary:
$3.1 million

Wright, an 11-year veteran, has carved out a solid career serving primarily in reserve roles throughout his tenure in the league. Wright is a career 37 percent shooter from three-point range and from 2011 to 2013 knocked down a total of 434 three-pointers (an average of 144 per season during this span).

• Like 1

• Premium Member

What would you have given for Tony Parker going into his 3rd year, if you had a good idea that he was going to turn out the way he has?

There is your answer.

i realized that we have some delusional Dennis fans.  Now we know its you and Supes.

BTW  supes is the worst judge of talent on this forum.

i realized that we have some delusional Dennis fans. Now we know its you and Supes.

BTW supes is the worst judge of talent on this forum.

I will now moderate this throwdown in a calm professional manner... OOOOO DAYUM SUPES! YOU GONNA TAKE THAT?

• Like 2

i realized that we have some delusional Dennis fans.  Now we know its you and Supes.

If you don't see the still developing talent that Dennis has, then that's your problem, not mine. You think Sacramento still wants him because he sucks? Yeah, ok then...

Stick that in your dieselputer and smoke it.

Edited by RandomFan

Kinda sad that Wes Johnson, the bust from Minn, is looking like a real option now. Unless we flip Splitter for a SF

We're not flipping Splitter...

• Like 3

Kinda sad that Wes Johnson, the bust from Minn, is looking like a real option now. Unless we flip Splitter for a SF

I feel like he'd be good for us, I mean if he can just pass and cut he'd be a decent demarre replacement on offense.

25 minutes a game, Splitter is going to play Center.  Horford is going to play Center 10 minutes a game and PF 20-25 min a game. Sap is going to split similar time between the 4/5.

Tavares and Moose are going to get about 10 minutes a game each.

Assuming we keep Thabo, he will backup SAP at the 3, Korver/Bazemore will split time at the 2 and 3...Hardaway JR will fit into that mix as well as Korver recovers.  Teague and Dennis obviously at the 1.  The rotation will look like this:

Teague/Dennis/

Bazemore/Hardaway/Korver (starter or 6th man if healthy)

Sap/Thabo/

Horford/Moose/Scott

Splitter/Tavares

That right there is 12 players...Mack not included though he should be back. Currently, Scott, Thabo, Mack, Bazemore are all trade bait.

• Premium Member

If you don't see the still developing talent that Dennis has, then that's your problem, not mine. You think Sacramento still wants him because he sucks? Yeah, ok then...

Stick that in your dieselputer and smoke it.

so you place Dennis on the level of a hall of fame PG.????

Currently, Scott, Thabo, Mack, Bazemore are all trade bait.

So our only two wings that can play great defense, that play for a coach that highly values defense, are trade bait? Highly doubt it. Baze at $2m and Thabo at $4m are absolute steals in this free agent market.

Also, Moose will probably get 10-15 minutes a game - at PF. Horford and Splitter should handle all the center minutes if healthy. Tavares probably wont even play except in garbage time. He'll be playing D-League to start the year, and depending on how quickly he picks up what the coaches want him to work on, he may start getting a few minutes towards the end of the season. Much like Muscala last year.

Korver will be fully healed well before training camp. He'll be starting at SG. Which means we need a defensive presence at the other wing spot. Meaning Baze, or Thabo who probably wont be healed to start the season.

Edited by RandomFan

so you place Dennis on the level of a hall of fame PG.????

Comparing Schröder and Parker's level of development and still untapped potential at the end of their 2nd years? Definitely. Except Dennis is a better defender. It's ok, I know you don't. Let's just agree that the future will decide, and not anything you can say as a response.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

25 minutes a game, Splitter is going to play Center.  Horford is going to play Center 10 minutes a game and PF 20-25 min a game. Sap is going to split similar time between the 4/5.

Tavares and Moose are going to get about 10 minutes a game each.

Assuming we keep Thabo, he will backup SAP at the 3, Korver/Bazemore will split time at the 2 and 3...Hardaway JR will fit into that mix as well as Korver recovers.  Teague and Dennis obviously at the 1.  The rotation will look like this:

Teague/Dennis/

Bazemore/Hardaway/Korver (starter or 6th man if healthy)

Sap/Thabo/

Horford/Moose/Scott

Splitter/Tavares

That right there is 12 players...Mack not included though he should be back. Currently, Scott, Thabo, Mack, Bazemore are all trade bait.

Count me as stunned amazed if Tavares does even 5 min per game in his first season. I'd imagine he's the main reason Bud made his comment about desiring to improve our D-league affiliation situation.

• Like 2

Potential sleepers not mentioned here yet:

Sonny Weems (Changed his game and is a star in Euroleague)

Alexey Shved (6-7 Guard who is extremely versatile and fits Buds scheme)

Luke Babbitt (Second only to our own Kyle Korver last year in 3PT%)

Rasual Butler (Shot 39% from 3 last year and is a solid all around player; can play 20 MPG)