• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Q&A with Budenholzer: How will Hawks replace Carroll?

RandomFan

We don't need to start Thabo. We used him perfectly last season to come off the bench and guard the opposing best perimeter player. That's his wheelhouse. Asking him at his age and coming off serious lower leg injury to start and play 30 plus minutes a game is a disaster in the making.

I'm still hoping we trade for a starting SF. I would much rather have traded our 15th pick for a Wilson Chandler than take a no defense volume chucker that is a SG/PG in THJ.

He'll never see that many minutes.

When there's 8 possibilities to plug in there, Sef will probably log about 20-25 minutes at the 3. Starting...

Edited by hazer

• Premium Member

We don't need to start Thabo. We used him perfectly last season to come off the bench and guard the opposing best perimeter player. That's his wheelhouse. Asking him at his age and coming off serious lower leg injury to start and play 30 plus minutes a game is a disaster in the making.

I'm still hoping we trade for a starting SF. I would much rather have traded our 15th pick for a Wilson Chandler than take a no defense volume chucker that is a SG/PG in THJ.

You have reliable sources telling you that that was an option? I'd like to know more.

• Like 4

http://www.nba.com/hawks/video/teams/hawks/2015/07/14/WESWILCOXTALKSEDYTAVARESmov-3644238

Short interview of Wilcox talking about Edy and how he probably wont see much game time early in his development.

And the 7 minute interview with Bud from the GSW summer league game.  http://www.nba.com/hawks/hawks//video/games/hawks/2015/07/13/20150712-sl-mike-budenholzer-interview.nba

Edited by RandomFan

• Premium Member

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/basketball/q-and-a-with-mike-budenholzer-how-will-hawks-repla/nmyjf/?ref=cbTopWidget

Q: I know it’s early, but is there a starting point on how you might replace DeMarre?

A: Having Thabo (Sefolosha) having played for a year with us and having him know how we do things defensively and offensively. He’s played on really good teams and on teams in the finals and on teams that have had really good success. I think we are very hopeful that he gets healthy and ready. That gives you some confidence that there is a start. I think Kent Bazemore’s growth and development as the season progressed, including the playoffs. He is a unique player with his length and everything. Then adding Tim Hardaway Jr. and Justin Holiday gives us what we feel like is a lot of depth. You can argue there are big 2’s and small 3’s in our system, and the wings are interchangeable. Of course, defensively it helps to have some size. Thabo naturally has that. We might have to mush it around with some of the other guys a little bit, but we have good depth on the wing.

We tried to tell them but the MB GM's wanted Bud/Cox to go in a different direction for some reason

I knew it was gonna happen that way, I was just really hoping for a Chandler trade.

• Premium Member

You have reliable sources telling you that that was an option? I'd like to know more.

If you read the Bud interviews it sounded like they wanted him last year and couldn't get him so got him this year. It is not hard to extrapolate from it that Bud was willing to trade to get him.

• Premium Member

If you read the Bud interviews it sounded like they wanted him last year and couldn't get him so got him this year. It is not hard to extrapolate from it that Bud was willing to trade to get him.

Back up.

The statement made suggested that you know ATL could have had Wilson Chandler for the 15th pick. I'm not asking anything about Hardaway... I know about Hardaway... but I've never heard anyone report that what you said you'd have rather had was, in fact, on the table. Please educate me.

• Premium Member

Back up.

The statement made suggested that you know ATL could have had Wilson Chandler for the 15th pick. I'm not asking anything about Hardaway... I know about Hardaway... but I've never heard anyone report that what you said you'd have rather had was, in fact, on the table. Please educate me.

I'm not saying we had a deal on the table. I'm saying I don't think we tried to trade for a starting SF because Bud wanted THJ. Considering that it was what we traded for I think it is a safe bet.

• Premium Member

Hmmm. That's curious to me. What is there about saying that you had your eye on a certain back-up player that necessarily rules out having interest in a starter-level player at that same position had he become available (which you're apparently agreeing we don't know that he was)?

Edited by sturt

My thinking is two-fold: Bud thinks he can mold THJr into something special, and his eyes are still wide open for the right deal to come along for that "starting SF." Probably didn't like who was available and/or any of the deals that were presented. And will pounce by the deadline in prep for the playoff run.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

While I'm not real sure the degree to which Budcox is interested, I think Dorell Wright is still hanging out there if a team is willing to give him multiple years at something above his vet minimum (~$1.5m). What's more, I don't think we're looking for a starter to replace DMC so much as we're looking for the back-up to replace Thabo (who is now the starter). Wright isn't a starter, but he certainly could fill that reliable back-up role, as he did in Portland. He doesn't turn 30 until December, so his age is comparable to a lot of our roster.

Wright, to me, is the safest target.

I'm more inclined, as I think most at this point are, to think Budcox is looking at the remaining slot as a developmental one--to take someone 23 or younger and develop the player into a long-term controllable asset, and inherently, one that can easily outperform his contract.

Patterson, Petteway and Robinson were explicitly mentioned, and any would fit that profile. Bud didn't mention Ashley, but I have a hard time believing he's not on the radar as well.

And then, there is the plethora of other guys playing on other teams' SL squads who are unsigned and could be on Bud's radar but who he's obviously not going to mention.

And then again, there remains the plausibility of guys suddenly dropping out of the sky and becoming available just as a ripple effect to some team's other purpose... Quincy Miller almost was one of those (and still could be, actually).

So, suffice it to say, still a lot of possibilities in-play, and could be for awhile yet.

Edited by sturt
  • Like 1