• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Q&A with Budenholzer: How will Hawks replace Carroll?

RandomFan

I still have a feeling that we will acquire a small forward either to start or backup

I'm starting to think that might be turning more into wishful thinking on our parts. Like for me I would LOVE for us to get rid of Scott and trade for another SF type. But I'm about ready to give up on that dream of never seeing Scott in a Hawks uniform again... russian_roulette.gif

Also, this should make it crystal clear that Thabo and Bazemore are viewed as the top two players in the SF rotation, while recognizing like Bud said that the wing positions are interchangeable. But he did acknowledge that there will be players they have to get creative in defending, and most would assume he's talking about the larger SF types.

Edited by RandomFan

• Moderators

I'm starting to think that might be turning more into wishful thinking on our parts. Like for me I would LOVE for us to get rid of Scott and trade for another SF type. But I'm about ready to give up on that dream of never seeing Scott in a Hawks uniform again... russian_roulette.gif

Also, this should make it crystal clear that Thabo and Bazemore are viewed as the top two players in the SF rotation, while recognizing like Bud said that the wing positions are interchangeable. But he did acknowledge that there will be players they have to get creative in defending, and most would assume he's talking about the larger SF types.

Wing by committee for a while but that's not bad.   I think we have some explosiveness on the wing now which will be great to see.   I hope they learned their lesson to upgrade at the deadline where needed.  It not only gets you vets for the playoffs but gets you some flexibility in the offseason in some cases.

I'm just ready for the season to start and to be back in Phillips.  I can't wait to see how Splitter fits in and which wing will make the big leap under Bud's coaching.  I like our chances of one of Baze, Hardaway Jr or Holiday becoming a consistent 40% 3 pt shooter in our offense.

Edited by JETSET
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Glad to hear Bud recognizes we have Thabo and a bunch of 2's (or small 3's) right now.  It makes me feel like he is aware of the need to address that especially in light of the health risks with Thabo.

• Like 2

So there it is. Bud just told us if Sef is healthy, he starts. "Interchangeable wings" means we'll also see Threezus, Blaze, THJr, Holliday, and possibly GRIII (first name he brought up from Summer League) plugged in at the 3. The "mush it around a little with some of the other guys" tells me we'll see Scott and Sap at the 3 some too. That gives Hawks 8 SF options, and sounds like that's what Budcox is going into battle with. Yeah, some of them are 2s, but he mentioned interchangeable. Remember, Bud believes in a "1 pg, 2 wings, 2 forwards" philosophy.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 3

There's also a short piece on Edy on the AJC.

http://atlantahawks.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/13/edy-tavares-a-work-in-progress-for-atlanta-hawks/

Edy Tavares a work in progress for Atlanta Hawks  

July 13, 2015

LAS VEGAS – Edy Tavares is a work in progress.

The Hawks 7-foot-3 center has taken some time to adjust to the pace of play during the first two Las Vegas Summer League games after spending last season in Europe. He has looked a step or two behind the play much of the time.

Hawks assistant Kenny Atkinson had some very interesting comments about Tavares following Sunday night’s game.

“This is just the feedback I’m getting from him, I think the pace of the game is so different than Europe and he is just adjusting to the pace, number one, and then adjusting to what we are doing,’ Atkinson said. “He forgot a lot of what we are doing last year. His team in Europe was playing a totally different pick-and-roll coverage. But we are on him. We are watching film with him. I think it’s pace and figuring out what we are doing. I was excited. He made a few plays at the end of the game. He’s got to be smarter about not fouling when the other team is in the bonus. It’s a great learning opportunity for him. What is better than this for him?”

In two games, Tavares is averaging 5.0 points (5 of 11), 5.5 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 3.5 blocks and 5.5 fouls in 19.0 minutes.

He had a couple of encouraging moments in the fourth quarter of Sunday’s 71-70 win over the Warriors, including getting two rebounds over opposing players without leaving his feet.

“We are discovering the player he is,” Atkinson said. “We know what we want him to be – a great rim protector, a rebounder. We are discovering the player too but it’s exciting because obviously he’s hungry to be a good player.”

• Moderators

So there it is. Bud just told us if Sef is healthy, he starts. "Interchangeable wings" means we'll also see Threezus, Blaze, THJr, Holliday, and possibly GRIII (first name he brought up from Summer League) plugged in at the 3. The "mush it around a little with some of the other guys" tells me we'll see Scott and Sap at the 3 some too. That gives Hawks 8 SFs, and sounds like that's what Budcox is going into battle with.

You hear 8 SFs.  I hear 1 SF and 7 guys who stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

• Like 4

So there it is. Bud just told us if Sef is healthy, he starts. "Interchangeable wings" means we'll also see Threezus, Blaze, THJr, Holliday, and possibly GRIII (first name he brought up from Summer League) plugged in at the 3. The "mush it around a little with some of the other guys" tells me we'll see Scott and Sap at the 3 some too. That gives Hawks 8 SF options, and sounds like that's what Budcox is going into battle with. Yeah, some of them are 2s, but he mentioned interchangeable. Remember, Bud believes in a "1 pg, 2 wings, 2 forwards" philosophy.

Is that called an "inverted wishbone" set?

Edited by hazer

A: Having Thabo (Sefolosha) having played for a year with us and having him know how we do things defensively and offensively.

That right there is the reason we're going to see a heavy dose of Korver, Thabo, and Baze at the wing early in the season (assuming Thabo is healthy). Those 3 know how we do things offensively and defensively. The new additions will need time to get to that point, much like Baze last year who barely played the 1st third of the season while he learned the ropes of <channling my inner DMC> "Hawks Basketbawl." I'm gonna miss not hearing "Hawks Basketbawl" from DMC after every game...

Remember, Bud believes in a "1 pg, 2 wings, 2 forwards" philosophy.

I think that would be more accurately described as 2 frontcourt, instead of 2 forwards. But meh.

Edited by RandomFan

Immediately edited my original post to add "options", because I don't consider most of them SFs either. But In this scenario, I'm thinking no one sees over 20-25 minutes a night at 3. So if Sef is the starter, he's not necessarily going to play any more minutes than he did when he was successful off the bench. Also an interesting strategy to keep fresh legs in there and run the other teams' 3s ragged. Will be interesting to watch, for one thing. Successful? Hmmmm...

Edited by hazer

• Premium Member

I'm reading a whole lot of "I don't care how tall/big someone is" in that interview... from the wings to the Cs... am I wrong?

And I'm a bit surprised... pleasantly so... that he said pretty explicitly that GRob3, Petteway and Patterson are impressing him... usually, it's typical that that kind of question is dodged.

• Like 2

I'm reading a whole lot of "I don't care how tall/big someone is" in that interview... from the wings to the Cs... am I wrong?

And I'm a bit surprised... pleasantly so... that he said pretty explicitly that GRob3, Petteway and Patterson are impressing him... usually, it's typical that that kind of question is dodged.

Was thinking the same thing: "Wow, he just called them out and telegraphed his invites."

• Premium Member

We don't need to start Thabo. We used him perfectly last season to come off the bench and guard the opposing best perimeter player. That's his wheelhouse. Asking him at his age and coming off serious lower leg injury to start and play 30 plus minutes a game is a disaster in the making.

I'm still hoping we trade for a starting SF. I would much rather have traded our 15th pick for a Wilson Chandler than take a no defense volume chucker that is a SG/PG in THJ.

We don't need to start Thabo. We used him perfectly last season to come off the bench and guard the opposing best perimeter player. That's his wheelhouse. Asking him at his age and coming off serious lower leg injury to start and play 30 plus minutes a game is a disaster in the making.

I'm still hoping we trade for a starting SF. I would much rather have traded our 15th pick for a Wilson Chandler than take a no defense volume chucker that is a SG/PG in THJ.

That's just it, because he starts doesn't mean he has to play starter minutes though.

He was perfect in his role off the bench last season though. I thought he kept Dennis in check quite a bit.

However Bud sees his role: starter or not, I'm good.

That's just it, because he starts doesn't mean he has to play starter minutes though.

He was perfect in his role off the bench last season though. I thought he kept Dennis in check quite a bit.

However Bud sees his role: starter or not, I'm good.