• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Phil Jackson speaks about Tim Hardaway Jr

I don't see why people generally take the perspective of a "winner" and "loser" for trades. The biggest reason for a trade is that both sides believe they will improve and in general, trades help/hurt both teams in the same manner. That is probably what is going to happen for the Hawks-Knicks trade as well.

'Cause if you ain't first you're last, Ricky Bobby.

Seriously though, there's a lot of truth to what you say in theory.  In reality, trades usually result in one side benefiting more than the other.

True, both sides make the trade assuming they're getting value.  However, I think it's more complex than that.  Both sides may not expect improvement right away.  Both sides could have differing motivations.  For example, is anyone of the opinion that the Sixers trade to improve themselves every time?  I don't think so.

Long story long, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing for folks to try to look at a trade in terms of win/lose.

• Premium Member

NY's dysfunction doesn't fill me with confidence for THJ like some of you guys.

Same here. THJ in two seasons has been literally one of the worst defensive players in the NBA and his shooting isn't that good either. He'll have to play the exact opposite on both ends of the court to justify our giving away the chance to draft a starter at SF at 15.

Damn Phil Jackson comes off like a b*tch here! Who talks to the media about that kind of in house stuff? What a mess and I hope that THj just needed to get out of that and into a good situation like ours to realize his full potential.  

• Like 4

Same here. THJ in two seasons has been literally one of the worst defensive players in the NBA and his shooting isn't that good either. He'll have to play the exact opposite on both ends of the court to justify our giving away the chance to draft a starter at SF at 15.

True, but he's got the tools to be a good defender and his stroke is pure. Looking forward to seeing him throw down some dunks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I don't see why people generally take the perspective of a "winner" and "loser" for trades. The biggest reason for a trade is that both sides believe they will improve and in general, trades help/hurt both teams in the same manner. That is probably what is going to happen for the Hawks-Knicks trade as well.

Well, there went any chance of you ever working in sports journalism.

'Cause if you ain't first you're last, Ricky Bobby.

Haha. Sadly true.

Edited by mrhonline

Phil jackson is the the most overrated coach in history... that stinking hippie... just got lucky and had teams loaded with some of the greatest players of all time. I could have coached those teams to championships, and I would suck as a coach.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Phil jackson is the the most overrated coach in history... that stinking hippie... just got lucky and had teams loaded with some of the greatest players of all time. I could have coached those teams to championships, and I would suck as a coach.

Agree with this. The fact Jackson would never a coach a team without a superstar(s) kinda speaks for itself.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

More of the same.

If you're of the religious type, pray for Arron Afflalo.

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators

More of the same.

If you're of the religious type, pray for Arron Afflalo.

~lw3

Man does Phil come off as an ass.  To me this exposes that there is a new NBA and Phil doesn't get it.   The whole nba was slow to get it but Bud and others understand that players have to be developed.   Almost all of them.   Gone are the days where guys came into the league with serious game and just needed a few vets to teach them the ropes.   

• Moderators

Man does Phil come off as an ass.  To me this exposes that there is a new NBA and Phil doesn't get it.   The whole nba was slow to get it but Bud and others understand that players have to be developed.   Almost all of them.   Gone are the days where guys came into the league with serious game and just needed a few vets to teach them the ropes.   

I think you are reading too much in.  You can just as easily read that Phil is complaining that THJr didn't follow the instruction he was given and didn't develop due to his refusal to try.  

Phil and/or his assistants have certainly developed players before as guys like Andrew Bynum were very raw when he started working with them.  I don't think the idea that young players need to be developed is particularly new.  It has been a reality that guys come in extremely raw for at least 20 years and was worse when you had guys jumping directly from high school in contrast to THJr who had 3 years of college basketball experience under his belt.

Phil coming off like an ass?  There we agree.  He has been looking like just about from the moment he signed with the Knicks.  

Edited by AHF