• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Scott thread

Sothron

I guess I'm ignorant to these laws because I wasn't thinking he'd be facing any serious time. 25 years is insane. Still, I have to think that will be cut way, way down. Either way, it sounds like his NBA career is likely over. That's really sad. 

During the TMZ video of his confession he seemed to be unaware that the amount of weed and molly was enough for a felony charge.  When he found out that he could do 25 years it had to be a complete shock.  I doubt he gets anything above the minimum, but likely he can't play for a long time - probably a career ending prison sentence.

Edited by Randy
  • Like 1

During the TMZ video of his confession he seemed to be unaware that the amount of weed and molly was enough for a felony charge.  When he found out that he could do 25 years it had to be a complete shock.  I doubt he gets anything above the minimum, but likely he can't play for a long time - probably a career ending prison sentence.

Assuming it's his first charge, Mike probably won't do another day in jail over these charges.  

• Like 1

Yeah - I think the "combo" will hurt him bad. If it was just weed he could probably just get it worked out on some minor "possession with no intent to sell" charge. I don't know much about Molly/Xtasy but I don't think it should be that huge of a deal either since I have heard it is pretty common at "Rave" parties and has actually been researched as a positive drug for certain mental disorders.

Poor Mike may have just got himself into the "perfect storm"...sucks for him...my guess would be that he will do some real jail time (like a year +)

Honestly - if it was just weed and everybody kept their mouths shut (Mike especially) a good lawyer could probably work it out with the local prosecutor where he would just get probation since they couldn't prove who was the "owner". The "high speed" evasion (if that is really true) didn't help either.

Bummer.

Assuming it's his first charge, Mike probably won't do another day in jail over these charges.

I hope - he may get credit for being honest and being a dumb (first-timer) - but my guess is he spends more that just a couple weekends in the pokey. The prosecutor (usually an elected office) won't want to look bad letting a guy off just because he is an NBA player when he/she send others to jail on similar offenses.

Yeah - I think the "combo" will hurt him bad. If it was just weed he could probably just get it worked out on some minor "possession with no intent to sell" charge. I don't know much about Molly/Xtasy but I don't think it should be that huge of a deal either since I have heard it is pretty common at "Rave" parties and has actually been researched as a positive drug for certain mental disorders.

Poor Mike may have just got himself into the "perfect storm"...sucks for him...my guess would be that he will do some real jail time (like a year +)

Honestly - if it was just weed and everybody kept their mouths shut (Mike especially) a good lawyer could probably work it out with the local prosecutor where he would just get probation since they couldn't prove who was the "owner". The "high speed" evasion (if that is really true) didn't help either.

Bummer.

You all seem to forget how the legal system works here in the good ole US of A.  Money pays and you can buy your way out of jail time.  We have seen celebrities do it a thousand times.  

I will be legit shocked if Mike does a year in jail for this charge. 

• Like 2

You all seem to forget how the legal system works here in the good ole US of A.  Money pays and you can buy your way out of jail time.  We have seen celebrities do it a thousand times.  

I will be legit shocked if Mike does a year in jail for this charge.

Yeah but Scotty is no superstar and this isn't going to get national coverage. Hopefully he will spend-up big for the best lawyer he can get.

Seems like Mike is a bit naïve on the whole law thing.

I would hope that the Hawks internal brain trust is counseling him on what he has to do.

As a simple Hawks fan I would hate to lose him for next year. Granted he is a "tweener" who comes up big occasionally - but he is (IMO) better than we could get off the cheap F/A market or out of the D-league. I don't see him as a long-term piece unless he somehow improves, but he would be an asset to have next year.

Yeah but Scotty is no superstar and this isn't going to get national coverage. Hopefully he will spend-up big for the best lawyer he can get.

Seems like Mike is a bit naïve on the whole law thing.

I would hope that the Hawks internal brain trust is counseling him on what he has to do.

As a simple Hawks fan I would hate to lose him for next year. Granted he is a "tweener" who comes up big occasionally - but he is (IMO) better than we could get off the cheap F/A market or out of the D-league. I don't see him as a long-term piece unless he somehow improves, but he would be an asset to have next year.

The key is money not celebrity. We just hear about the celebrity cases.

• Moderators

I think this is a big overreaction.   I don't see anyway he goes to jail and if he does then he has the worst lawyer in history.   I don't think the average person would go to jail with this offense unless they had priors, but certainly not a guy who's obviously not a criminal or drug dealer.   

I also don't think his hawks career is necessarily over.   We don't know much about the new owners but there have been way worse offenses with players around the league.   He can go into the drug counselling program, do community service, be subjected to increased testing maybe.   He obviously had these drugs but he wasn't driving, dealing, fighting, or partying.  

My point on Larry Sanders is that if after multiple drug offenses and failed tests he gets a 10 day suspension, how is Scott's career going to be over for this one incident after never failing a test? 

• Like 1

I think this is a big overreaction.   I don't see anyway he goes to jail and if he does then he has the worst lawyer in history.   I don't think the average person would go to jail with this offense unless they had priors, but certainly not a guy who's obviously not a criminal or drug dealer.   

I also don't think his hawks career is necessarily over.   We don't know much about the new owners but there have been way worse offenses with players around the league.   He can go into the drug counselling program, do community service, be subjected to increased testing maybe.   He obviously had these drugs but he wasn't driving, dealing, fighting, or partying.  

My point on Larry Sanders is that if after multiple drug offenses and failed tests he gets a 10 day suspension, how is Scott's career going to be over for this one incident after never failing a test? 

Agree with all the above.  To me, it's irresponsible for the title of the article to say he's facing 25 years.  Technically it's not wrong, however, it glosses over so many facets of the case and of the legal system in general.  As you said, if he ends up with jail time here, his lawyer was point shaving or drunk or both.

Some time will pass, he'll end up with reduced charges (unless something totally out of left field is uncovered) and he'll be back with the team after a minimal suspension.

The notion that a nonviolent drug offender could end up in jail for any significant amount of time is just ridiculous IMHO.

• Premium Member

Agree with all the above.  To me, it's irresponsible for the title of the article to say he's facing 25 years.  Technically it's not wrong, however, it glosses over so many facets of the case and of the legal system in general.  As you said, if he ends up with jail time here, his lawyer was point shaving or drunk or both.

Some time will pass, he'll end up with reduced charges (unless something totally out of left field is uncovered) and he'll be back with the team after a minimal suspension.

The notion that a nonviolent drug offender could end up in jail for any significant amount of time is just ridiculous IMHO.

Agreed, but he didn't do his lawyer any favors by talking to the police without him or her present. In the video, he was concerned with keeping the matter 'private', but HE was the one making a video recorded staement to the police! If he had remained silent until his lawyer was present (which he has every right to do according to his Miranda Rights), that 'confession' would've never happened and TMZ would have no video. The only positive is this is his first offense so the penalty shouldn't be too severe. 25 years is ludicrous and will not happen. But still, he would be in much better shape if he didn't incriminate himself when he didn't have to.

• Premium Member

All this is interesting but here's what I see.

I see a strong possibility that he can be cut from the Hawks.

IN his contract, I'm sure that there's a morality clause of sometype that gives the team the right to void his current contract.

The real question in this is.. is there anybody out there that's better than Scott?

I tried to think of a way that we could get Markieff Morris but the money won't work. 

So now, the only name that's on my radar.. the dieselputer spits out is a cheap 2 year (2nd year nonguaranteed) spot to Michael Beasley.

There's also Dorrell Wright... Landry Fields...

I would also consider Elton Brand for an A. Coaching job.

IN his contract, I'm sure that there's a morality clause of sometype that gives the team the right to void his current contract.

The real question in this is.. is there anybody out there that's better than Scott?

I tried to think of a way that we could get Markieff Morris but the money won't work. 

So now, the only name that's on my radar.. the dieselputer spits out is a cheap 2 year (2nd year nonguaranteed) spot to Michael Beasley.

Sigh, Landry Fields? ....

mad-at-theinternet.gif

I hope he only ends up getting probation and is allowed to play this season. I'm not the biggest Scott fan (even less so now), but our roster is shaky enough at the moment. I just think there's a chance with the growing popularity/infamy of "molly" and the amount that he had on him that someone (law, NBA, or Hawks) will choose or be forced to make an example of him. At least more of an example than usual when it comes to athletes/celebrities. 

You mention cutting Scott, for a victimless crime, due to a "morality clause" and then you suggest replacing him with Markieff Morris who currently has a felony aggravated assault charge hanging over his head.  Makes a ton of sense.

• Like 4

He's an idiot. If the Hawks had any class they would get rid of this thug as soon as possible. You would never hear anything like this from San Antonio and if there were something you could bet that player would be done. The Hawks think they are close to the Spurs level? Then act like it and ditch this gangster wanna be.

• Moderators

The Hawks need to sit tight and let this play out.  Cutting him before they can void the contract would be crazy.  If he is in jail, he won't be paid.  If they cut him before it is ripe, they will be paying him to do whatever he is doing.  If he turns out to just get a slap on the wrist like a ton of other NBA players when caught with pot, drunk driving, etc. then you can decide what to do next.  Right now there is too much in the air.

• Like 2

• Moderators

He's an idiot. If the Hawks had any class they would get rid of this thug as soon as possible. You would never hear anything like this from San Antonio and if there were something you could bet that player would be done. The Hawks think they are close to the Spurs level? Then act like it and ditch this gangster wanna be.

For the most part I agree about the Spurs but they did bring back Stephen Jackson after a career that included the malice at the palace, felony recklessness for firing a gun at a strip club fight and apparently threatening Serge Ilbaka which i don't even remember.   I don't think Scott's thugness is really established because of this.