• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do People in your area not care about the NBA?

Blunt91

I am just trying to figure out whether people in general do not really care for Pro Basketball like they do some of the other sports.  I stay in Dothan, Al and all these people care about is college football or High School Football.  I get sick of seeing the Alabama, Auburn and Florida State shirts and caps.  They watch the NFL but it takes a back seat to College football.  Some will look at a little College basketaball but no one cares for the NBA besides maybe Lebron or when the Lakers, Knicks and Celtics were winning teams.  Seems like they don't like it when none of those teams ore winning.   The ones that do watch it are not a fan of the Hawks. I had a back and forth arguement with a guy working at a fastfood place before the beginning of last season.  He was a Lebron fan and thought the Hawks were a joke.

Furthermore, you can't find any Hawks gear in nearby GA towns like Albany and Bainbridge GA.  I will see Atlanta Falcon fans wearing there shirts or Jerseys every now and then but I am the only guy rocking a Hawks cap.  I was surprised to meet another Hawks fans @ Buffalo WIld WIngs about 4 months ago.  He was one of the wait staff at the Bar.   

So how is it where you stay? I am sure it isn't as bad as me because most of you stay in or around Atlanta but as a whole do you think people don't care for the NBA like they use to do?

• Premium Member

There are some states that don't have professional teams down south. Also, for the states that do have college and pro teams, it seems like the college teams have more success.

The south loves football. I think there are a lot of basketball fans but you don't get the fanfare football gets. It is also easier to follow 12-16 games instead of 82. You can talk about the team and actually have a clue what you are talking about.

When I wear my Hawks geat I might get a "nice hat" or 1 "go Hawks" type of talk. When I wear my GT hat, I get a lot of people talking football and GA doesn't even have many Tech fans.

There are some states that don't have professional teams down south. Also, for the states that do have college and pro teams, it seems like the college teams have more success.

The south loves football. I think there are a lot of basketball fans but you don't get the fanfare football gets. It is also easier to follow 12-16 games instead of 82. You can talk about the team and actually have a clue what you are talking about.

When I wear my Hawks geat I might get a "nice hat" or 1 "go Hawks" type of talk. When I wear my GT hat, I get a lot of people talking football and GA doesn't even have many Tech fans.

Yeah I have gotten the nice hat thing but never go Hawks.  Don't think too many people are familiar with the logo.   They are out of control with the Alabama fan craze.  Ever since Alabama won those 2 titles people here parade around like Dothan is Tuscalooosa.  You even got older people to deck out in the Alabama shirts.  Troy University is only  1 hour away but They don't show Troy the love they do Alabama.

I am just trying to figure out whether people in general do not really care for Pro Basketball like they do some of the other sports.  I stay in Dothan, Al and all these people care about is college football or High School Football.  I get sick of seeing the Alabama, Auburn and Florida State shirts and caps.  They watch the NFL but it takes a back seat to College football.  Some will look at a little College basketaball but no one cares for the NBA besides maybe Lebron or when the Lakers, Knicks and Celtics were winning teams.  Seems like they don't like it when none of those teams ore winning.   The ones that do watch it are not a fan of the Hawks. I had a back and forth arguement with a guy working at a fastfood place before the beginning of last season.  He was a Lebron fan and thought the Hawks were a joke.

Furthermore, you can't find any Hawks gear in nearby GA towns like Albany and Bainbridge GA.  I will see Atlanta Falcon fans wearing there shirts or Jerseys every now and then but I am the only guy rocking a Hawks cap.  I was surprised to meet another Hawks fans @ Buffalo WIld WIngs about 4 months ago.  He was one of the wait staff at the Bar.   

So how is it where you stay? I am sure it isn't as bad as me because most of you stay in or around Atlanta but as a whole do you think people don't care for the NBA like they use to do?

Nobody that I know gives a shit about the NBA or basketball in general.

To be honest, I'm damn sick of football. I barely follow it at all these days. 

after growing up in atlanta and joining the military after college- I saw a lot of the world; unfortunately, my old ball and chain wanted to live in macon- hell on earth...where the only sports memorabilia I see is camouflaged georgia stuff (it is tough on the eyes).  On the rare occasion that someone is wearing a nba related shirt or hat, it is always the lakers or whatever team lebron is on.

I'm from Augusta, GA and around here it's all about those soon to be National Champions Bulldawgz. The Atlanta Braves are right there with UGA as being really popular. I would say UGA takes over every sport here though.

I do know some Hawks fans though. Some of them are LeBron fans and "pull for the Hawks", but a lot of them rep the Hawks.

Edit: When I say soon to be, I'm going to say next year when I say UGA wins it all. I feel bad for the GT fans laying around here. 

Edited by AHawks89

I'm from Augusta, GA and around here it's all about those soon to be National Champions Bulldawgz. The Atlanta Braves are right there with UGA as being really popular. I would say UGA takes over every sport here though.

I do know some Hawks fans though. Some of them are LeBron fans and "pull for the Hawks", but a lot of them rep the Hawks.

Edit: When I say soon to be, I'm going to say next year when I say UGA wins it all. I feel bad for the GT fans laying around here. 

you should watch a tech game....I don't think you'll have to feel sorry for tech fans anytime soon man_in_love.gif

• Like 2

I feel bad for the GT fans laying around here. 

Honestly UGA fans have it worse.  UGA always has the higher expectations they never live up to.  Every year it's "well there's next year" and they're always picked to be a contender and never make it.  GA Tech never has that type of hype to live up to.

In San Diego, all people seem to care about is the NFL.  That takes over all.  I'm a college football fan, can't find anyone that cares about that so I'm missing that in my life.

NBA would probably be a second just because of the Lakers fans and bandwagon Clippers fans.  I can talk NBA with folks but am definitely the only Hawks fan around.

• Like 1