• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Observations from Knicks game

capstone21

• Admin

This is more like it.

offense much more fluid ... Passing the ball around which was missing last game

defense was excellent 

offensive rebounds ... Man we are still giving up too many ... We make a good defensive play and then we give up a rebound ... Box out!

Al played excellent on both sides of the court but I think he is settling for the three too much

teague started slow but did a great job of running the team tonight ... Really settled it down ... He controlled the game in second half.

dennis did not.  It seemed like the Dennis show when he was in there ... He will hold on to the ball and then look for,his shot first.  I want to see more ball movement when he is in there.

sap was aggressive ... His shots were not falling but he played well

love splitter ... So smart ... If we had him last year instead of Pero ... 

Patterson is really entrenching himself in at the backup SG spot.  I really like what I am seeing from you kid

KK was deadly tonight in first half ... Started our run

Baz did a better job tonight ... Good d and passing ... He needs to slow down

Melo is a shell of himself ... He can't jump

Poz is a player ... Man he is going to be good

I will say it again ... Gotta stop so many offensive rebounds

welcome to the NBA Edy

love the uniforms!

• Like 4

Great Bounce back game.

1. Teague  started  off slooow, Bud sat  him for quite a bit but when  he  came back in - He was ready.  Great job.

2.  Korver was on fya

3. Baze got his 1st points of the season

4. Thank you  Al for for  your 9 rebounds/21 points/3 blocks

5. Millsap struggled shooting but the rest of his stat line: 11points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 steals

6. I'm really  liking Lamar, Bud trusted him to be on the floor late

7.  Two straight games  Dennis had 1 turnover only - nice

8. Edy got his first NBA seconds:  1 point and 1 rebound  :cheer:

Good game by the Hawks. Played much better offensively as a unit and were much more consistent defensively than they were vs. the Pistons. I agree that Lamar Patterson has shown that he deserves the majority of minutes at the backup position. As the season wears on, I'm hoping that THJ and Tavares improve to the point that they too will be apart of the rotation.

• Like 1

Like others have said much much better tonight! Offense was efficient, defense was better, and effort was at 100% from ALL players tonight....glad to see things work out tonight and see our Hawks be themselves!

on a side note I can admit I didn't see Lamar getting many minutes but he's absolutely earning his pay and for a 2nd straight game has glued THJ to the bench. I'm high on THJ I believe he can do well here but by all means if Lamar is going to play like this bud has to keep throwing this kid out there and giving him the minutes and I'm not against it.

ALSO what a bizarre turn of events so far! We argued on these boards about the draft pick trade for a THJ but with THJ being glued to the bench so far and recently watching Kelly Oubre who most wanted here including me...who would have thought Lamar Patterson would look better than both those players so far.

FYI I watched oubre and he's not looking like he belongs in the NBA buts it's extremely early in the season just saying Lamar is looking like a diamond in the rough compared to THJ and Oubre

Edited by JTB

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

Got out rebounded by double digits again!  Bud still hasn't fix the rebounding problems!

I hate to break it to you, but we're not going to magically turn into a good rebounding team. Our roster doesn't allow for it. At least not without making unfavorable tradeoffs. We could've played a better rebounding unit tonight and ended up losing the game.

• Like 3

- I think it is clear that the key to this team's success is defense. I really loved how active hands were always looking for the deflections and the steals.

- Teague's continuous struggles with shooting is so frustrating. If he could hit the midrange consistently, the game would open so much for him. He was doing a good job with his drives though.

- Tiago is a perfect addition to this team. His passing, rebounding and defense is such a welcome addition.

- We may have something special in Lamar.

Looks like teams are going to pound the offensive glass against us until we prove we can bang. We are giving our opponents an ungodly amount of extra possessions on offense even when we play a good defensive set. We need to remember,  defense isn't over until you grab the rebound. Great game otherwise.  Im so torn on our black unis right now. One day they look amazing and the next they look weird.  I cant wait until we debut the red joints and also start to mix and match which I doubt we even see much of this year.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Dakin said:

As long as we didn't get outpointed, who cares?

We can beat teams like the Knicks without rebounding especially if we shoot well but it will be the same story in the playoffs if our rebounding issues aren't corrected

This was my first time really seeing Patterson play.  Man he was impressive in his role.  As I mentioned in chat, I remember him versus my moribund GT squad during his senior year.  He was magnificent in that game but his game resembled a 3 more so than a 1/2.  He must have been in the lab these last few years because he's really improved.

Might his emergence allow us to trade bench players/pix for a starting caliber wing?

Lastly, quote of the night goes to sMelo who said STTE, "This is just the first of many losses ..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2015/10/30/carmelo-anthony-after-knicks-first-loss-there-will-be-many-more/

“It’s the second game of the season and we got 80 more to go,” Anthony said,per the New York Post. “This won’t be our last loss. There will be many more.”

Obviously he didn't mean it that way.  Still that just sounds funny.

ETA: Oh and I'm sure Tiago's "finishes" at the rim will illicit a conniption fit or something from me at some point.  If you see my post in chat go something like, "Gah, I can't believe Splitter missed thaeksdkal ;asdjdsalk; .."  Please call the authorities to do a wellness check.

Lamar looks like a young Manu G. He's smart as hell. Understands angles. Hits open shots. Can pass and run the PG. He is strong and can finish as well as draw fouls and he can defend and gets a lot of steals due to his great instincts. He has improved a lot since he was drafted and athletically is much better than he was at Pitt.  No offense to THJr but I don't think even at his best, he is this good. Lamar is looking better than Kyle to me and it's not even close. 

We still need a starting SF, it's so obvious too. 

Edited by NBASupes

Much improved from the Pistons game. It's still way early but we showed signs of life. Better communication on defense and a bit better ball movement. I can't really gage our performance because we play the Knicks and well, they suck. Those who think the Knicks will make the playoffs are knuckleheads. Lol. What I liked most about tonight was Teague's leadership. When your point guard leads the way, it's always a great sign. 

BTW- Are we doing this observations thread now instead of just posting on the game thread?

5 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Much improved from the Pistons game. It's still way early but we showed signs of life. Better communication on defense and a bit better ball movement. I can't really gage our performance because we play the Knicks and well, they suck. Those who think the Knicks will make the playoffs are knuckleheads. Lol. What I liked most about tonight was Teague's leadership. When your point guard leads the way, it's always a great sign. 

BTW- Are we doing this observations thread now instead of just posting on the game thread?

Once Teague stops floating we become a force on both ends.

Also, I like the 'observations' thread.  Makes us look more cerebral.

BTW, I also observed THJ cheering for his teammates from the sidelines. For me, this was a great sign. In my mind, I thought he would be sulking because of the DNP's. Be ready THJ, your nimber will be called sooner than later.