• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who has earned your respect as an analyst (broadcast or published media)?

sturt

• Premium Member

Was just thinking "why should anyone care what Stacey King thinks"... then was thinking about how much attention Charles Barkley gets when he spouts off... and was led to the thought, "heck... whose opinion do I really respect out there at all anywhere in the first place?"

And ya know... I don't have many answers to that.

Do you?

I respect Hubie, but then, he's more of an in-game analyst, and doesn't often make broad predictive comments about this team or that team's chances.

Steve Smith? Yeah, I suppose, but that might be b/c I'm biased and feel like Smitty approaches things from a similar perspective to my own.

After that, I'm drawing a blank. Who am I missing?

They all have ups and downs.  The ones I like are those that call it like it is rather than allowing their team allegiances to overly impact their opinions

Sekou Smith plays it straight.  I like Frank Isola too.

Hubie is the father of analysis I'm guessing.  He holds the torch alone after Dr. Jack passed.

Mike Fratello, well-respected all around.

Rick Fox is probably the biggest Hawks supporter, so no-brainer there.  He and Sam Mitchell have had admiration for BudBall since '13-14.

Say what you will about Bill Simmons, he's an almanac.

Tim Legler is usually on but a little too star-centric at times.

It puzzles me that Brent Barry doesn't have a real NBA job with the Spurs: extremely smart, reasonable, and never blinded by stardom.

Jeff Van Gundy and his brother are highly respected, with good reason.

I miss Avery Johnson, good overview of the game.

I like Doris Burke's insight and think she's kinda hot, shoot me.

Chris Webber when he isn't being snotty.

Isaiah Thomas despite his Hawk-Hating.  He tells the best stories by far.

Jalen is okay.  Sometimes he'll say something interesting and informative, next time it's nothing but hot air.

Jay Bilas would be better than most of these should he make the jump.  He's likely too candid  and critical for thin-skinned players and the superstar-driven ESPN.

I'm in a minority among real NBA fans but I like Steven A.  I wouldn't call him an analyst, just a Superfan.

Regional TV and radio: Walt Frazier and I'd imagine Sean Elliot is good.  I like Clyde, too.  I've heard Wennington a couple times and liked his takes.

SA. Minnesota, OKC, Denver, Charlotte, and Philly's radio broadcasts join ours with Steve  as the only ones who go with the solo announcer during the game without an analyst. 

• Admin
4 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Hubie is the father of analysis I'm guessing.  He holds the torch alone after Dr. Jack passed.

Mike Fratello, well-respected all around.

Rick Fox is probably the biggest Hawks supporter, so no-brainer there.  He and Sam Mitchell have had admiration for BudBall since '13-14.

Say what you will about Bill Simmons, he's an almanac.

Tim Legler is usually on but a little too star-centric at times.

It puzzles me that Brent Barry doesn't have a real NBA job with the Spurs: extremely smart, reasonable, and never blinded by stardom.

Jeff Van Gundy and his brother are highly respected, with good reason.

I miss Avery Johnson, good overview of the game.

I like Doris Burke's insight and think she's kinda hot, shoot me.

Chris Webber when he isn't being snotty.

Isaiah Thomas despite his Hawk-Hating.  He tells the best stories by far.

Jalen is okay.  Sometimes he'll say something interesting and informative, next time it's nothing but hot air.

Jay Bilas would be better than most of these should he make the jump.  He's likely too candid  and critical for thin-skinned players and the superstar-driven ESPN.

I'm in a minority among real NBA fans but I like Steven A.  I wouldn't call him an analyst, just a Superfan.

Regional TV and radio: Walt Frazier and I'd imagine Sean Elliot is good.  I like Clyde, too.  I've heard Wennington a couple times and liked his takes.

SA. Minnesota, OKC, Denver, Charlotte, and Philly's radio broadcasts join ours with Steve  as the only ones who go with the solo announcer during the game without an analyst. 

I was enjoying your list until I got Stephen A ... That guy has no business being on tv giving any sort of analysis for anything.  He is a know it all big blow hard with an ego the size of Texas but he doesn't really know anything at all.  When he comes on the screen I often have to change the channel

9 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I was enjoying your list until I got Stephen A ... That guy has no business being on tv giving any sort of analysis for anything.  He is a know it all big blow hard with an ego the size of Texas but he doesn't really know anything at all.  When he comes on the screen I often have to change the channel

Yeah, like I said I know I'm a minority.  I can fully empathize with those who dislike him.  Sometimes it's hard to separate him from Bayless too who's universally loathed.  You have to at least give him some respect for excoriating his Knicks like no other.  He's the anti-Walt Frazier but with the same vernacular.

Fratello just gained a few more points with me.  NBATV was previewing a special on Joey Crawford and Coach had nothing good to say.  Borderline pissy.

are the reggie miller responses in jest....I am going to assume they are and since it is that kind of a party (mashed potatoes excluded)- Jalen Rose, Reggie Miller and Jon Berry are the bees freakin knees

I think Hubie is fantastic though and my favorite broadcaster not named Holman (if radio counts), Rathbun and the Stinger

1 hour ago, Duff_Man said:

Mark Zumoff on the 76ers broadcasts is really good. 

My favorite sit-in on a broadcast for the Hawks has been Thabo. He has a natural gift for talking on a microphone. 

You just think his accent is seggsy. :cool:

13 hours ago, hawksfanatic said:

Malik Rose was pretty good when he was on the Sixers broadcast...whatever happened to him?

I second that but c'mon, I thought you stalked all Hawks employees so you'd know which windows to throw your expletive engraved bricks through.  Rose deserves an award for dressing up the Sixers debacle over the past few years without delving into being a homer shill for the GM trying to hype up their Pro-D-League prospects as future potential stars.

Hubie of course tops my list for broadcasters, for entertainment I love Clyde's flowery delivery and Bones' dry wit.  On the writers' side I can get with Bomani's ability to touch urban subjects without coming across like a complete asshat like Whitlock.  I also second Benhill on Simmons being a walking almanac, I thoroughly enjoy him and the rest of the Grantland crew (RIP) because their ability to put out 5,000 word tomes filled with pop culture references, footnotes to footnotes, interesting infographics with just a smidgen of actual analysis reminds me of every term paper I ever wrote.  Artistry I tell ya, artistry!   

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hawksfanatic said:

Malik Rose was pretty good when he was on the Sixers broadcast...whatever happened to him?

Word on the street is he's in towels in a lockeroom somewhere with baby Nate Rob playing cards for cash.