• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horver! [Sporting News]

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

I didn't notice a thread on this SN article from November 2, where Al (with an assist from Paul) chats about our favorite subject.

"He wrote a song about it. Like to hear itĀ here it goes!"

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba-news/4659993-al-horford-3-pointers-hawks-paul-millsap-demarre-carroll

Ā 

Floor spacingĀ isn't a new concept to Horford, but it comes ever more important in wake of DeMarreĀ Carroll's departure. Nearly a quarter of his shot attempts throughout his career have come from 10-16 feet and he's converted them at an elite rate of 45.2 percent. Last season, heĀ began taking the next step in his development by experimenting with 3-pointers when heĀ attempted 36 shots from the perimeter, all but seven of which came from the corner. While he converted them at a subpar rate of 30.6 percent,Ā it planted the seeds for future growth.

"That's how I started," Horford told Sporting News. "Slowly but surely, my focus this summer was to make sure I spend time at the top of the key and all other areas..."

"The league is evolving," said Horford. "You have guys, big guys, shooting 3s, handling the ball, doing different things. I just think it makes you a better player and help your teamĀ more. You have to be able to do multiple things."

Through the Hawks' first four games, Horford hasn't been shy about letting it fly. HisĀ 18 3-pointĀ attemptsĀ putĀ him on pace to surpass the totals of Chris Paul, Jamal Crawford and Kyrie Irving from last season. Many of his attempts have come from the top of the arc, too, cutting down his looks from the corner. He's taken advantage of opposing centers running back to the paint in transition byĀ trailing plays and planting himself on the perimeter.Ā According to NBA.com, all but one of his attempts have been wide open...

Horford fine-tuning his 3-point shot in the coming months could help them unlock the fieryĀ inferno that set the NBA ablaze last season. The additional 5 feet from his sweet spot to the perimeter unlocks a world of possibilities for himself and his teammates,Ā and the coaching staff is confident in his ability to make it a staple in his repertoire.

Ā 

~lw3

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

I was against Horford taking threes, but I agree it makes him a bigger threat and adds even more versatility.Ā  Almost makes Sap expendable with Splitter on the team...

Trust me - it does NOT make Paul Millsap expendable :-)

(but I know you said "almost")

I almost wish Horford would have saved his 3's for the playoffs, then unleashed it on opponents. Imagine if the Cavs didn't know he had this in his arsenal, then BAM...GOTCHA!!!! Would be very difficult for them to adjust in a playoff series.

5 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I almost wish Horford would have saved his 3's for the playoffs, then unleashed it on opponents. Imagine if the Cavs didn't know he had this in his arsenal, then BAM...GOTCHA!!!! Would be very difficult for them to adjust in a playoff series.

Yeah, I say fade back to the midrange J's til we meet the Warriors in the playoffs then SPLIKOW ... EAT THAT DREIMOND!!

• Moderators

I would actually let him keep firing over a longer period of time. Ā It hasn't been good so far but remember that shooting fluctuates over a season. Ā We need a bigger sample size and if Bud is confident that it will happen (and his 2pt jumper suggests it should) then he should keep working to get comfortable with it. Ā 

For example, Teague shot less than 32% in 3 of the 6 months (Nov-Apr) last year but you don't want him to stop just because he shot 23.1% in April. Ā 

If Bud wants to develop this, you need to let him keep going. Ā He can always revert to focus more on the midrange game but if you screw up his development on the 3 you won't have it for the playoffs.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would actually let him keep firing over a longer period of time. Ā It hasn't been good so far but remember that shooting fluctuates over a season. Ā We need a bigger sample size and if Bud is confident that it will happen (and his 2pt jumper suggests it should) then he should keep working to get comfortable with it. Ā 

For example, Teague shot less than 32% in 3 of the 6 months (Nov-Apr) last year but you don't want him to stop just because he shot 23.1% in April. Ā 

If Bud wants to develop this, you need to let him keep going. Ā He can always revert to focus more on the midrange game but if you screw up his development on the 3 you won't have it for the playoffs.

Well said...it's not something you can turn on or off as I suggested for the playoffs...I guess when you've been a starving fan for so long you start getting desperate and think of strategies that can't possibly work..aka my Horford playoff 3 point sneak attack lol