• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

"Shoulda Coulda Woulda," starring Horf 'n Smoove

lethalweapon3

• Moderators
“He’s very smart. He’s a very smart basketball player. He gets the game and understands the game."

Who said that about who? Check out Sekou's piece and find out:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/04/08/ex-hawks-teammates-smith-horford-ponder-what-might-have-been/

~lw3

• Like 1

Nice read. Really sucks that Smith could neverfigure it out for himself here. One interesting note was his Smith's comment about having a coach who would play through his big men. Don't really see where he was trying to go with that.

Iso Joe.

• Moderators

We could have a been a smaller version of the twin-towers down there on the block where we were both getting featured. Who knows what it might have been? You never know … until you have a coach who says these are the guys we’re going to go through every night and we’ll see what happens.

I just wish Josh would have been down there on the block more. I just never understood why he could be taking 3 foot jump hooks over everyone in the league. The other thing about this quote is that a smaller version of twin towers doesn't work in the nba. What makes twin towers work is the tower part. I think a team with someone like Kobe on the wing with Josh and Al as the 4/5 would have been great. Anyone but D'antoni could have made that work.

Our best season when we won 53 they were beasts. All I remember was both of them tearing up and down the floor. The Josh/ Al Hi-Lo play is now the highlight of Drew's career. With that said, Sap's basketball intelligence begins where Josh's peaks at (Canibus, anybody?)

I didn't pay it any mind, but listening to 92.9 this morning (I forgot the guy, many of them sound the same) I realized Josh's "rest-tendinitis" is just a glorified benching, which paid off in a win for them just like it did most times for us. The guy pointed out rest is for old mid-30's vets, Josh is still basically a kid. Something drastic is gonna happen with him before next season, even with his Excalibur's Sword contract.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

Odd that he mentioned that they could have been a smaller version of the Twin Towers when a lot on this board wanted to slide them down a position and he took big money to go play SF in Detroit.

The guy is not known for being able to follow a train of thought out logically or do much in the way of self-assessment. He believes he is great and therefore someone else must be the reason he hasn't made the leap. Must be the coach.

• Like 1

C'mon, Horf is saying the politically correct interview in that article. I had a love/hate relationship with Smoove as a player being a Hawks fan...Smoove being a smart player....He's the most gifted player athletically, and with potential, in the last decade....but not basketball smarts...Horf is just being nice....

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Good read.

To me, Josh is like the poster boy for pro-age limit crowd (which includes me). He never really developed the fundamentals and understanding of what he's good at. I wonder if getting into a decent collegiate program might have affected his game/attitude...or if he'd have the same maturity issues that doomed him here.

I fault coaching as much as I fault that blockhead too though. I said it a hundred times, but Josh is/was a mini-Ben Wallace with offense. Why we didn't develop him that way, instead of Smoovinique Wilkins, is beyond me.

We had a really good batch of talent here and we missed the boat big time. Too slow/rigid with the decision making... With better coaching/management, no doubt in my mind we would have at least hit the ECF's.

• Like 1