• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Smoove Question.

Diesel

Who would you rather right out of the draft.   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

It's draft day.

By Some Crazy time machine mix up you are the GM of the Hawks.   Your team is Trae Young, DeAndre Hunter, JC, Capella, OO, KVON, BOGI, GALLO, DELON, Lou, Dieng, JJ,  Skylar and Rife.   The Basketball gods have given you a choice..

1.  A Rookie Cam Reddish.

2.  A Rookie Josh Smith. 

Who do you take?  (Fill out the Poll)...  and Why?

Atlanta Hawks trade Cam Reddish to New York Knicks for Kevin Knox,  first-round pick

NBA report: Hawks suspend Smith for one game

• Premium Member

I for Smoove, 

The only problem is the inefficiency that he developed later on.   LucasIII made a good point by saying that Trae will fix that.   BUT...

Josh Smith played with Bibby, Brandon Jennings, James Harden,  & Chris Paul...

But i would have loved to see what Paul could have done with Smoove earlier in his career.. unfortunately we choose Marvin Williams..

I Hate That Guy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

It's pretty easy to say Smoove when you consider it's easier for elite athletes to translate to the game than skill based players. That said, let's ask this question after their playing careers. Great chance, the answer will be obviously Reddish.

I looked at all time Hawks stats last year.  Josh is top 5 in virtually every category: points, rebounds, steals, blocks, assists, etc. By Josh’s 3rd year he was a major contributor.  There is no comparison.  He was a net positive player that could do it all.  
Cam was really only doing the one thing Josh couldn’t do, make an open set shot.  Cam’s stats are bad because he only scored inefficiently and did almost nothing else.  
These players are total opposites.  Josh made effort and impact everywhere.  He had a much higher BBIQ than people give him credit for.  Cam you just hope he redeems his reputation at some point.  It’s a huge story change to say he’s gonna have a Randy Moss rookie year to now say his skill set takes years to develop.  Maybe next year…

• Like 3

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Sothron said:

I still feel for Josh. He was so close to being a true star player and yet could not stop shooting bad long jump 2's or threes. If I can fix that in this hypothetical scenario I very easily take Josh. 

So Close??

Smoove was at the top of just about every Hawks Stat except FG%, 3PT%, and Assists. 

Trae is a superstar...  But Smoove was definitely getting there. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, kg01 said:

It's time to stop the madness.

Smoove is a much better player than he gets credit for.ven his poor shooting is overdone as a 'thing'.  E

Shiiiiii, 90% of the league takes terrible shots now.  Terrible shots.   All that tells me is Smoove was ahead of his time.

Guy went from being the typical, low-skill HS flameout of that era to a near-all star player.  Good passer, defensive menace of sorts.

Folks talk about him like he was trash.  He was a hardworking guy who wanted to win.  Didn't go about it in an ideal way and folks vilify him.

It's not right.  He's one of us, dang it!  And yall need to act like it!  Let all them non-Hawks fans(sic) trash our guys.  We don't need to add to it.  F*ck 'em!

Sorry I may or may not be on one after reading all the Trae hate and dumbf*ck Collins trade ideas from idiot fans.

It was more than just terrible shots with Smoove.  It was HIGH inefficiency and High Usage.

Do you know that Smoove Destroyed the Detroit Pistons when he left us?  They were loaded with Potential...

I'm talking:

Drummond, Monroe, Jennings, Prince, Butler, KCP, Reggie Jackson, Middleton, Augustin, Meeks, Joel Anthony and Jerebok...

And Smoove shooting 24% from 3... putting up 5 3s per game made them struggle and got him waived in his first year with them? He had signed a 4 year deal, they waived him in the first year (2014) and they just finished paying smoove last year.  If you wonder Why the Pistons have been suffering and are a bottom feeder now.  1 year with Josh.

• Confused 1

Early Smoove was my fave Hawk on that squad, was a joy to watch. Hell, prime Smoove was one of my fave Hawks of all time. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

So Close??

Smoove was at the top of just about every Hawks Stat except FG%, 3PT%, and Assists. 

Trae is a superstar...  But Smoove was definitely getting there. 

That's... pretty much what I said. He was so close to being a true star player. If he didn't have the shot selection of an empty beer can he would have gotten there.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Diesel said:

It was more than just terrible shots with Smoove.  It was HIGH inefficiency and High Usage.

Do you know that Smoove Destroyed the Detroit Pistons when he left us?  They were loaded with Potential...

I'm talking:

Drummond, Monroe, Jennings, Prince, Butler, KCP, Reggie Jackson, Middleton, Augustin, Meeks, Joel Anthony and Jerebok...

And Smoove shooting 24% from 3... putting up 5 3s per game made them struggle and got him waived in his first year with them? He had signed a 4 year deal, they waived him in the first year (2014) and they just finished paying smoove last year.  If you wonder Why the Pistons have been suffering and are a bottom feeder now.  1 year with Josh.

This is a clear illustration of what I was talking about.

He "destroyed" that trash team?  Have you seen Regme Jackson "play" basketball?  Notice where Drummond's been since then?

And what's any of that got to do with the Hawks?

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, kg01 said:

This is a clear illustration of what I was talking about.

He "destroyed" that trash team?  Have you seen Regme Jackson "play" basketball?  Notice where Drummond's been since then?

And what's any of that got to do with the Hawks?

When we replaced Smoove with Milsap we were 1000% better overnight. 

In 2014.. Drummond was 13.8, 13.5, 0.7.   That's basically 14, 14, and 1. 

In 2014,  Greg Monroe was 16, 10, 2. 

In 2014,  Jackson was 18, 5, and 9.

In 2014, Pope was 12, 3, and 1. 

Now with this starting 5... Smoove added.. they were 32-50.   With SVG at the coaching helm.

here's a quote:

Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva were disappointing high-priced free agents. Brandon Knight struggled mightily when given more responsibility than he was ready for. Allen Iverson's short tenure was a disaster. But none of them came close to Josh Smith in his 105 games with the Pistons.

The exclamation point to just how bad Josh Smith was for the Pistons came December 22 when the team waived Smith less than halfway through his 4 year, $54 million contract. They chose to eat the $27 million or so remaining rather than continue to watch him toss up ill-advised jump shots and lose his man on defense.

Jennings, who assessed the state of the Pistons bluntly on several occasions, said the team was lost without a veteran leader and that "Chauncey (Billups) could only do so much."

"I think when certain players are in here trying to give advice, and they're not also doing what they're supposed to do, it's tough," Jennings added.

He didn't specify who he meant but Smith, a 10th-year veteran who came to the Pistons on a four-year, $54 million contract, seemed the strongest candidate.

• Diesel changed the title to The Smoove Question.
  • Premium Member
On 1/27/2022 at 10:40 PM, LucastheThird said:

Smoove easy. For all of the brick houses he built, he just wanted to win. He would love playing with Trae and getting easy buckets. Would probably be an all star on that team. 

People forget Josh was actually excellent during the first half of his career. 

• Like 1