• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Reactions From The Josh Smith Trade

Hart

So with the trade deadline looming large it's become pretty obvious that Josh Smith has about a week left in a Hawks uniform. I've seen threads where some want him gone, and others want him to stay. I personally want to see what we get in return for him. The past couple of years, he has tried to mold himself into something he just isn't; a shooter. For every shot he knocks down, he misses about 5-6 others. Everyone of us knows that he is a better teammate when he is down low in the paint playing the boards. However, it's almost as if he refuses to do it. We have plenty of shooters on this team, yet he still wants to sit at the three point line and jack up ridiculous attempts hoping that they fall... anyways..

How do you think you will react on a trade involving Smith?

- I think regardless of the return (I have faith that Danny will get good value out of a trade so i'm not banking on being dissapointed), I will be happy. Josh wants a max deal and he's not even a max player. He sort of fits the same identity of Joe Johnson in my eyes. We gave Joe Johnson a max deal and for all intents and purposes, we should have just let him walk because he was NEVER on the same playing field as Lebron or Wade or any other player who got a max contract that year.

How do you think Josh Smith will react to the trade?

- I think this is where all of the "we made a mistake trading him" posters will come around. I think the first chance Smith gets, he will trash the organization. He will make it sound like we are the worst team to play for in the history of the NBA, and that we will never win a championship. To me, he will come off bitter and very "me first" in any interview from here on out.

How will the players on the Hawks react to a Josh Smith trade?

- I think a few of the guys who have been here with Josh from the beginning (Horf, Zaza) will say how much they will miss him, and it's understandable. Then you will get guys like Korver or Morrow (guys that have been traded before), and they will throw the "At the end of the day, it's a business" line out there.

-------------------

I think overall, everyone will be happy to see us moving on from Josh Smith, as long as it doesn't include any other crazy pieces added to a trade. If I see Horford traded, I am going to lose my shit.

• Like 1

How about we just delete this thread since there is no Josh Smith trade to talk about?

Anyone taking these rumors to be true should also hear that I am King of the USA. I posted it on the internet, plus according to multiple sources this is a fact.

The more I think/hear/read about a possible Smoove trade - the less I'm confident it will happen.

Sports radio says that teams are trying to "lowball" Ferry and that he's apparently not biting.

But if you think about it...why would a team give up that much for Smoove? He's certainly got some big positives...but then:

- He doesn't have "go to" offensive moves (lessening his value at playoff time when the D gets tougher).

- He was suspended a game this year for basically revolting against the coaching/spotty effort/b_tching at refs instead of getting back on D.

- He has added a new negative this year - horrible free throw shooting - making him a candidate for a Hacka Smoove strategy in the playoffs.

When it gets time to pull the trigger, I have a feeling many other teams will look hard at these things and pass.

• Premium Member

Y'know...

My posts are characterized by a lot of fancy mouth flapping, because I love English. But, my other forte is actually analysis and discernment. Data...facts...behaviors. I used to jump through all sorts of hard data hoops to prove a point, but I'm just a lazy poster these days. And most of the observations that I make about the Hawks seem pretty obvious to me... So I'm not going to try and quantify this with any sort of factual data. I'm just going to spill my opinion based upon gut feeling.

How I feel about a Josh trade?

Sad. I wanted him to retire a Hawk. I also don't want us to face him if/when he gets his shit right. He will be a monster, it's just not going to happen the way he's trying to do it now. He's not that kind of player.

How will Josh react?

Josh is going to go apeshit on the league. He's going to play with a fire we have never seen before. If he goes to a small pond situation like he is here, nobody will notice. Because he will keep playing the way he does now. If he goes to a team with a couple of alphas and a no-nonsense coach, he's going to become an athletic hybrid of Dennis Rodman and Ben Wallace...with better offense, feeding off of better players (as opposed to trying to be the man here.

That's when all the apologists will come out and say "I TOLDJASO! YOU GUYS ARE DUMB FOR WANTING TO TRADE HIM! I WAS RIGHT!" And we'll have to hear that for the next 20 years if he wins a ring with a team. All the while, none of these ITOLDJASO people will realize that he was NEVER going to become that player HERE. That kind of change only comes with a change of scenery and a reality check. As long as he's here...this is his team, his city, and he will do what he wants - to his own detriment and regardless of how much or how little we pay him.

How will our other players react?

Jeff Teague and Al Horford are going to break out.

• Like 1