• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I miss Danny Ferry

gsuteke

His bad cap move killed us. His lack of signing  Deng killed us. His comments about Deng killed us. His pick of Payne was stupid.  He wasn't without flaw but I can't imagine him having a better offseason.  Now he wouldn't approved that stupid trade though for Hardaway.  Ferry would have traded for Splitter too

14 hours ago, NBASupes said:

His bad cap move killed us. His lack of signing  Deng killed us. His comments about Deng killed us. His pick of Payne was stupid.  He wasn't without flaw but I can't imagine him having a better offseason.  Now he wouldn't approved that stupid trade though for Hardaway.  Ferry would have traded for Splitter too

I couldn't see him trading for Hardaway either. He probably would have drafted a player overseas again.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

I couldn't see him trading for Hardaway either. He probably would have drafted a player overseas again.

How many players did he draft to sit overseas?  

John Jenkins - US

Mike Scott - US

Dennis Schröder - Brought over

Bebe

Mike Muscala - Brought over

Adreian Payne - US

Walter Tavarez - Brought over

This notion that Ferry loved keeping players overseas with no intent of bringing them back is way oversold.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

John Jenkins - US

Mike Scott - US

Bebe

Adreian Payne - US

This notion that Ferry loved keeping players overseas with no intent of bringing them back is way oversold.

Agree, he didn't draft/stash picks all that much.  He just sucked at 1st round picking in general.  The specifics are irrelevant.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, HorfordFTW said:

I definitely don't miss Danny Ferry

He's the reason we can't have millsap and dmc.

Yeah he was so great for hte underrated signings but what does that matter when that audition was for another team.

So what is your solution?  He should have signed them in the first place for way more money and not acquired other players or he should have signed people who would have been worse and played closer to their pay grade?  

"Man, I wish we had signed Kyle Singler instead of DMC so that when it came time for a new contract we could have resigned him for $5M/year instead of $15M/year.  Ferry even had the Duke connection and still crapped the bed by not landing that guy."

I'm not going to fault the guy for getting two huge steals that were instrumental in letting us build a roster that hit 60 wins for the first time in Atlanta Hawks history.  

Knocking him for his first round picks is totally fair.  This?  I don't see it.

• Like 2

The only thing that Ferry would have done differently IMO is actually pick a player in the draft. But, do we realize that picked player would likely be chilling on the bench outside of garbage time?

He wouldn't have tried to move a mountain to get a star player in free agency, like most people are crying for.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The only thing that Ferry would have done differently IMO is actually pick a player in the draft. But, do we realize that picked player would likely be chilling on the bench outside of garbage time?

He wouldn't have tried to move a mountain to get a star player in free agency, like most people are crying for.

This is true.  Ferry's goal in the NBA is to prove that you can win without a star.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, HorfordFTW said:

Yeah he was so great for hte underrated signings but what does that matter when that audition was for another team.

That...makes no sense. You WANT to sign guys for cheap and let them overproduce their contract. We already had a guy that did the exact opposite of that in Jon Koncrap.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HorfordFTW said:

I can.  The draft is the lifeblood for a team like ATL because of the difficulties with signing impact FAgents.  Ferry was awful there.

I'm not talking about 2nd round gems, i'm talking about impact players.  Yes they can be had in the middle-late 1st round when your GM isn't trying to be too cute.

9 hours ago, AHF said:

John Jenkins - US

Mike Scott - US

Bebe

Adreian Payne - US

I never said he loved drafting them just to keep them overseas, just saying he seems to favor players playing in Europe. He also got Lamar Patterson. 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Sap wanted a 2 year contract.   Ferry tried to sign him for longer so you can't fault him for that.   Demarre was a bit player in Utah with not much offensive game.   Giving him a long term contract would have been ridiculous at the time. 

Wouldn't have been ridiculous but I view that as a hindsight is 20/20 issue.

48 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Bud is not qualified to be GM. He just isn't. Its a full time gig, and its takes experience. You don't moonlight as GM. 

Again for the umpteenth time 'Bud is not the GM' that is Wes Wilcox and his assistant GM.  He's the one scouting  overseas,  college etc., compiling lists of FAs for next season. 

Bud is president of Bball ops.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Again for the umpteenth time 'Bud is not the GM' that is Wes Wilcox and his assistant GM.  He's the one scouting  overseas,  college etc., compiling lists of FAs for next season. 

Bud is president of Bball ops.

No wonder Bud is so bad at being GM!   Seriously though where is the criticism of Wilcox?   I mean if there are criticisms to be made (which at this point are premature) they should be directed at him.   So far it doesn't say much for Wilcox and his scouts that all of their offseason acquisitions are not playing.